EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth Version

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Last Nerve, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Any owners?
    I'm thinking about picking one up.
    SS frets, compound radius and people seem to really be loving the p/ups.

For $1200 or so, it looks like a nice option for a rock guitar.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. scolfax

scolfax Member

Pics! Does it have an ebony fretboard?

3. Kontalonis

Kontalonis Member

Specs from Musician's Friend:

• Arch-top basswood body
    • Quartersawn maple neck with dual graphite reinforcement rods
    • Compound radius (12″-16″) ebony fingerboard with 22 vintage stainless steel frets
    • Dual hard-mounted EVH Wolfgang humbucking pickups with three-position switching
    • Dual Bourns® low- (volume) and high-friction (tone) potentiometers
    • EVH-branded Floyd Rose® locking tremolo with EVH D-Tuna®
    • Black hardware
    • EVH-branded 14-1 Gotoh® chrome tuners with pearloid buttons
    • Schaller® chrome string retainer and EVH molded-stripe case by SKB®
    They are also available in a hardtail model which is more appealing to me personally:
    [​IMG]

4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I am eyeing one of those up as well. I believe they are MIJ if anyone cares about that?
    I am more of a hardtail player, but for this one I might drink the kool aid and go back to the floyd, assuming it works well and they've improved upon it since ~1989 (the last time I had one ;)

5. Dashface

Dashface Member

That's a great looking guitar.

6. bsteff666

bsteff666 Supporting Member

Beaver, PA (That's just outside of Pittsburgh)
    Watching all the new VH clips of Eddie playing the Stealth Wolfgang has a whole lot of folks checking them out I'm sure.

7. scolfax

scolfax Member

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I will probably go for the Floyd.
    On the EBMM EVHs, Axis and Peavey Wolfgangs, the trem was dive-only.
    I much prefer that to a floating trem.

Looks like a killer guitar. I am tempted.

9. smd24fan

smd24fan Member

I just bought one and sent it back because the fret ends were very sharp. I exchanged and am getting another because it looked awesome and sounded awesome. If the frets are the same, I'll just have my buddy who is a luthier fix it up for me. I have a white Wolfgang Special with the Floyd, great guitar and a ton of fun to play.

10. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

I tried out 2 special EVH, the first one looked sweet, but also had sharp frets sticking out. The store owner said he could file them down. The second one's fretboard was much much better. so seems like there may be some QC issues, but if you get a good one they seem nice. The American one of course played a little better to me

11. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

In the videos I've seen of VH recently, that grey Wolfie looks like a car in primer ready for a color coat! Boring.

12. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

I wish they'd do a version with jumbos :( The USA black carved top with "tuxedo" styling has me drooling, but again, frets are too small.

13. Jasonbax

Jasonbax Member

Even on the USA version I have noticed the fret ends aren't perfect... maybe has something to do with stainless frets, but I don't really know. It really doesn't bother me, but I did own a special for a little while and it did bother me on that one. I mean honestly who wants to cut their hand moving along the fretboard. The USA model feels far superior to me... the special felt light like a toy and something was lacking with the resonance of the basswood. I owned a peavey wolf special that seemed to have better resonance than the fender special. The fender wolfgang special had terrible nut height. It was so high and would have required the nut shelf to be shaved to correct the problem. The USA model played like butter. The frets felt small to me at first, but now I'm used to them... I can glide across the fretboard with ease and the stainless feels slippery smooth... I mostly play jumbos. I bought the special model used, but if I were to buy one new from musicians friend I would be super picky. If the nut shelf felt high or the fret ends were bad, I would send it back and require replacement.

14. straycat113

straycat113 Member

On all three models the EBMM, Peavey and Fender the necks are untreated and for anyone familiar with EBMM necks - fret sprout - can be an issue with humidity and weather changes. It is a little strange that this can develop on one guitar made of the same materials but not on another. The only time I ever had this issue was some years back after buying two Peavey Wolfs on Ebay with one coming from Nevada and the second Arizona, I live in NY. My good friend and tech told me to just wait and see if it goes away on it's own at first before taking a file to them. Well sure enough both guitars corrected themselves after adjusting to the new climate and I never had an issue again-ever!

Here are some troubleshooting tips for the old Peavey's off of Geoff Knapps site who is a Guru on these guitars and has one of the best collections on the planet. It is a really helpful and knowledgable site on VH guitars-
    http://www.rocknrollweekend.com/care.htmlhttp://www.rocknrollweekend.com/care.html

15. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

I saw two of them in Guitar Center. If they're all like those two you'll need to dish out some dough. The fret ends were sticking through really bad, like un-playable bad.

I just don't understand why you need a locking nut on a hardtail guitar. Just my .02

16. paulscape

paulscape Member

The locking nuts on a hard tail makes it almost as much hassle as a Floyd. Quite tempting but still overpriced. I've seen fakes of these matte stealths already in china!!

17. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Where did the OP see $1200? They're $2999 here in Canada...

18. bilbal

bilbal Member

19. sonnyrocker

sonnyrocker Member

I totally agreed with Straycat. I got the Wolfgang Special and the frets were sticking out when I got it. I waited a month until the weather got warmer and the guitar settles and the frets are now PERFECT! These necks are like that, because they are unfinished and they have stainless frets. Don't file them or you will be sorry that you did. Wait a little and it will be perfect. I am glad I didn't do anything and my guitar now has a perfect neck. :)

crankyrayhanky likes this.