Evidence Audio Monorail - vs - George L's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cobra, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

Anybody got a real world comparison between the Evidence Audio Monorail, & George L cable using the right angle GL connectors for pedal board use? Sound, tone, & feel differences?

2. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I have owned both. The Monorail stays. The GL isn't even in the same league. The EA is not as harsh and is fuller and richer sounding by far.

3. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

+6000 :BEER the EA Monorail is great. I've heard they sound even better when you use the soldered ends. I'm not quite sure how there can be that much of a difference, but that's what I've heard.

It's worth the money to switch out your George L's, you wont regret it.

4. woude

woude Member

I've got george l's (both sizes) and the melody here, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is the same as the monorail only in a normal cable configuration. The evidence sounds more natural, no harsh mids like the george l's, more balanced. Big difference. I really love the sound, it's much more pleasing to the ears. I redid my board and speakercables with the evidence cables and now I'm saving up for Lyric HG pedal-board and board-amp cables. Highly recommended.

5. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Got the Mono a week ago. Big change form George L's. The GL sound thin and harsh. Mono is bigger and more mellow but still very present and sparkly. Much more mids in the Mono. I am now at Lyric HG>BBB 07>Mono>RC>Mono>Mojo Vibe>Melody>Univalve>Siren II>THD cab>
    I
    I
    V
    POG>Custom Vibrolux Reverb

I am loving my tone right now. I am thinking of even replacing all speaker cabel with Siren II.

6. onemind

onemind Member

Not accusing anyone of 'snake-oil' or less than golden ears... But isn't it difficult to objectively compare when you've swapped out cables. after taking the time to rewire the board, etc. I can hear subtle differences in cables, power, etc when I can A/B them directly, but my less than golden ears can't detect the difference given much time between A and B

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

nope I did it one cable at a time...first amp>PB...then PB> guitar...next was one pedalboard cable at at a time and finally power cables and in every case I heard a difference that I liked...so I redid my whole rig with EA Lyrics and Source cables except for a Mulder speaker cable which is voiced more to my liking in my amp...YMMV!

Chow,
    Seegs

8. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

For those that have tried the Monorail with the George L's ends, did you have any difficulty in assembly? Are they harder to get a good connection than making the GL's is?

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Hey Seegs... Did you compare a Siren with the Mulder? What tonal differences were there, and why did you prefer the Mulder?

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

Hi Macaroni...I felt that the first generation Siren was voiced more in the mids and that the Mulder was more evenly balanced across the whole freq. spectrum...I had a Bad Cat Cub and I liked the Siren better in that amp...

having said that I helped Chrissy wire up 2 of his cabs. with Scumbacks and the new generation Siren and in both cabs. there was a marked improvement...they sounded more open...louder...punchier with tighter bass and better string separation...to my ear they were more evenly balanced than the first generation Siren...

Chow,
    Seegs

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Thanks Seegs! Tony told me that difference between the Siren & Siren II, was sort of like the difference between the Lyric and Lyric HG.

I've always been curious about the Mulder, but the high cost, has been holding me back for the time being.

You know how it is - every piece of gear has its GAS/COST Threshold - GCT.

12. giggedy

giggedy Member

so then how would you guys compare the monorail to the elc?

13. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

I would recomend getting the GHS connectioins for the Monorail. At first I was hesitant but once I started soldering them they are fairly easy if you have a good bit of time behind the iron so to speak.

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

Your welcome Macaroni...GCT...I like that...for me once I hear and feel the difference there is no holding back I just have to do it:eek:

with the EA cables each step of the way was a welcome improvement and little by little I recabled my whole setup with it including the Source which I love...

Chow,
    Seegs

15. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

question..... if you're going to soldier the cables do you use the same set screw ends or do you buy other ones?

16. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

If you are going to solder, you would not be able to use the George L's ends.

17. Occam

Occam Member

I'm curious about this too.
    Also, any comparisons to Bill Lawrence cables?

18. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I just sent my Lyric HG to Tony for a quick repair - Tony's customer service is AAA+++, and he sent back a sample of the Monorail cable.

I took a bunch of George L patch cables off my board and replaced the wire with Monorail, using the GL plugs. I spent a very frustrating Sun afternoon trying to get good connections - partly some mistakes on my part, and partly because it's an inexact science to make these plugs work right - always give yourself some extra cable in case of problems.

I finally had 7 good patch cables with GL plugs and Monorail, so now my board is wired with Monorail, except for 2 x 6" Mogami + G&H patch cables.

The bottom line - easy to assemble, but a pain in the ass to get it right, and the improvement in tone was very noticeable - more open, clear, detailed, warm, natural, etc. A very worthwhile upgrade, in spite of the hassle.

The Lava ELC patch cable & new plugs are a very welcome upgrade for solderless assembly, but you can't go wrong with GL plugs and Monorail cable either. Especially if you already have a bunch of GL plugs, then it's a no brainer to get some Monorail cable and bump your tone up a notch or 2.

19. ramiam69

ramiam69 Member

bumping up this old thread.
    has anyone tried the monorail with lava solderless connectors?
    did you get a nice result?