1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Evidence Cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, May 13, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I am seriously thinking about getting some evidence cables ( or lava or klotz? ). Anway, are you guys using 10 footer and 15? or a 10 and and 20? or two 15's? Which model did you guys get? The HG is the most expensive but is it better suited for vocals or is it necessary on guitar? I read Gilmore uses a cheaper cable than the HG..... YOur thoughts please

2. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Gilmour is using EA Melody from his guitar to his pedal arrangement and EA Lyric HG on the floor, because the Melody is more flexible having one solid copper core conductor versus the two in the Lyric HG. The Lyric HG does make a great microphone cable also.

From personal experience and customer feedback, here's how I would rank the cables I make:

1. EA Lyric HG
    2. Lava ELC
    3. EA Melody
    4. Sommer Spirit
    5. Klotz
    6. Canare GS-6
    7. Mogami 2524
    8. George L's
    9. Gotham GAC-1

I personally use a 20' , but I just made myself a 15' of a speciality cable from Sommer called the Stratos. At lengths less than 40' or so there is virtually audible signal loss with all the cables above, so length is best based on how much you need...

Hope this helps. If you have any questions call: (910) 797-7214 or email me: mark@lavacable.com

3. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've been using a 15' EA Lyric HG for guitar > pedals since they first came out - excellent cable. I use EA Sirens for my amp head > speakers - also excellent. I use George Ls and Canare GS-6 for pedal connections, and 2 x 20' Canare GS-6 for pedals > amp, since I couldn't afford Lyric HG for those.

4. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I'm using a 10' EA Lyric HG for guitar > amp and EA Lyric HG that Tony custom made for me for most of my pedal board connections. Best cable I've ever used.

5. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

I've used a standard 20' Lyric since '97 but recently switched to the Lyric HG (8' + 12'). I still believe this to be the best sounding cable but now it is more resistent to RFI and more flexible. It is still bit stiff but not as bad as the standard Lyric. Overall, I'm really happy with it.

Lava Cable is the way to go without a doubt. High quality product, excellent customer service, and quick turnaround times! Mark has helped me to replace all of my cables with EA Lyric HG (guitar to pedalboard + pedalboard to amp), Canare GS-6 (pedalboard + effects loop), and Belden 83803 (power cords). I did this to reduce the effects of RFI while maintaining tone.

6. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

I have used cheap cords off the rack for many, many years. And, never gave cords much thought as to a quality tone producing/ inducing factor...

Recently, I bought some high dollar cords after urging from good friends... Even after talking with a well known amp builder for years who also writes for a magazine and sells Klotz cables, and another FX & amp builder/repair guy that I am friends with urging me to get these cords... I brushed it off as the usual salesman thing... Yeah, yeah, Suuure...

Eventually, I bought George L's first for my pedal board just to "see" and could not believe my ears!

So quickly, I bought Klotz for my guitars... I bought Evidence cables, also.
    The two Melody cords I have are very HiFi sounding.
    I am using the Klotz (and NOT because I think Evidence is anything less... I want to make that clear!) its because Klotz (to me) seems to hold back some HiFi tone... Hope that makes sense...

I also bought an Evidence Lyric HG for my Mom. She is a bass player from way back. I have always modded her P-Bass. ie pickups, etc... But this one mod has improved her tone as well!

In any event, I will NEVER go back to using any other cords than these...
    It was an ear opening experience!!! Although I bought the cords from Lava Cable I thank Gerald Weber and Dan Albrecth for opening my eyes & ears to this cool stuff!

Cary, I URGE you to get any of those high dollar cables...

Thanks for listening.

7. Cary Chilton

Do you guy like Canare pedal cables more than George L's?

8. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

I like them both for different reasons. The George L's are easy to route in tight places and preserve high end better than any other cable I've tried but they are prone to noise and the construction leaves me less than confident. The Canare is good in maintaining high end but excels at noise reduction while remaining fairly flexible. Since hum and RFI are real problems where I play, I'm happier with the Canare than the George L's. If I were playing in more controlled conditions, I'd prefer the George L's for tone and ease of custom fitting an ever-changing pedalboard.

Cheers,
    McE

9. Cary Chilton

thanks ! I agree about the construction and hum of George L's as I own them, too. How would Canare compare to Klotz ,,......anyone?

thanks

10. LavaMan

Klotz is a better sounding cable overall, but due it's larger outer diameter is a little tight fiitting on pedal boards at 6" lengths or so, where the Canare being smaller in diameter is not quite as cramped and you can go up to 5" short. I typically recommend 7"-8" mimimum on the Klotz.

11. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I use Evidence throughout my entire rig. A+ cables for sure.

The new Melody cables are sweet. My entire board is wired with them (about 12'), and there is a huge difference in clarity and punch over the Planet Waves I had before. The Melody is very flexible as well.

I run the Lyric HG from guitar to board/board to amp. The best cable I ever tried... Only bummer is they aren't very flexible. They're fine on the floor from board to amp, but guitar to board they tend to tangle and stick up on stage too much. I recommend the shorest length possible (I'm using a 10') or get the Melody.

Big recommendation for Lavaman also. Great service.

12. JamesW

JamesW Member

How are the Lava ELCs when compared with either the EA Lyric HG and Melody, as well as the Sommer cables they recently fielded?

Lavaman, what would you recommend for patch cables?

13. Orren

Orren Member

Another vote for EA cables. I just got my first cables from them, and they really do make a difference. Had noticably more presense. Now I'm going to rewire my whole studio up with EA cables. Highly recommended.

14. OOG

OOG Member

i've been a fan of high end cable since the '80s and recently got one of Tony's Lyric HGs (10', i play sitting)
    i'm trying to talk myself out of doing my entire rig with them.
    to no avail
    for me, these are IT

15. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

I have tried many high end cables and *nothing* can touch Analysis Plus. The Pro Oval Studio is a revalation. I will spare you the adjectives, you'll just have to try them. For a hint of what the Pro Oval Studios offer, the Yellow Ovals get you about 1/3 of the way there, for 1/3 of the price.

http://www.analysis-plus.com/Pages/pro_guitar_and_instrument_cables.htm

Klotz La Grange sound really good with tweed type amps. They are tight, focused, fast and on the cold side of neutral, balancing well with AlNiCo speakers.

16. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I just saw where Analysis Plus offers a super high-end 15 ft. cable for $4,455.00....Hmmm.

I am a believer in "high end" cables...I use Evidence Audio cables exclusively....but when cables start approaching the price of a used Buick...I give up.

17. LavaMan

Patch cable ranking (both for flexiblity and quality for pedal board tight fitting):

1. EA Melody
    2. Lava ELC
    3. Sommer Spirit
    4. Klotz
    5. Canare GS-6
    6. Mogami 2524
    7. George L's

I have A/B'd (short initial test - need to spend some more time) the Lava ELC, the Lyric HG, the Klotz, the Mogami, and the Canare and I liked them in this order:

1. Lyric HG (well balanced across harmonic spectrum)
    2. Lava ELC (warmer sounding and well balanced)
    3. Klotz (nice bottom end defintion)
    4. Canare (nice even repsonse)
    5. Mogami (very close to the Canare)

Now, this was a short test so it is really just my initial impressions and my personal preference. I have not yet tested the Sommer - I have sold some and am waiting on customer feedback - I am very impressed with the construction though. I also bought some of the Sommer Stratos and this I am extremely impressed with - it is their best phono/hi-fi/instrument cable. I have been A/B'ing that against all of the above also and it is very, very good. I going to send some to a couple of folks to get their impressions also.

18. Rich

Rich Member

To my ears--

For an all around, great sounding cable, Lyric HG. Two Rock Crystal Clear as well, but pretty stiff.

Klotz LaGrange, nice but more mid-rangey and edgy. Better with darker gear.

AP Yellow Oval-- spent some more time with it. Incorrect when I called it "sterile" pre-edit. I think the more appropriate term might be "hi-fi"(?). Extremely clear, clean sounding. Which is what these things are supposed to be. Excellent touch dynamics (another thing that differs across cables). Its not as warm as the EA or TR, if thats what you like.

In the end, its your ears that count. None are necessarily better than others. And they react differently depending on the gear.

I suppose if you're gigging and running through every effect known to mankind in a bar setting, it aint gonna matter in the least. Too many other things killing off the nuances. If you're pretty much going "guitar-cord-amp" with good gear in a studio or just at home, you will hear differences.

19. trazan

trazan Member

Audiophile cable madness amongst guitarists???? Guys!!! (and girls...?) :Spank :cool:

You realise we're involving a huge amount of different kinds of noisy tube amps in combination with an almost indefinite amount of different guitars....and the expensive stuff is going to sound "better"? Where's the friggin' emperor...?

I hear a big difference in cables going from guitar and up until the signal is buffered, entering low impedance territory (after that differences are marginal). But even that difference is first of all cable lenght. Use a short cable from the guitar to a nice buffer and be done with it :p

For that matter, a "******" cable might very well be just the ticket for your rig.

Use your ears, not your wallets!

EDIT:
    'tis my first post here? Eh...hi! :BEER

20. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I bought a dozen or so Klotz cables from the Lavaman and I could not be more pleased with them. If you do decide on the Klotz, go for 9-10" for a pedalboard. I originally purchased 6" cable and they were tight. I called Mark and he cut all new lengths for me, NO CHARGE!

The 9-10" Cable is not as big as it sounds and my board now sounds killer. I do not feel it is "dark" sounding at all. I am set for the next 10 years, LOL!