Evidence siren speaker cable

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by glogulus, Dec 9, 2005.

1. glogulus

glogulus Silver Supporting Member

Hi,

I lost the paper that came with this cable. Which end goes into the amp? The red side?

Any help appreciated.

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Try it both ways and see if you can hear a difference. Seriously.

Loudboy

3. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

The red end of the cable is considered the "destination end"... so the red end goes into your speaker cab.

4. glogulus

glogulus Silver Supporting Member

Thanks guys. For sure the red end into the amp makes things sound a bit too harsh for me :). Gonna try it the other way tomorrow.

5. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I use that stuff, think I got mine from Tony when he first offered it. Still use the Lyric from time to time, but always use the Siren. I don't know if I could ever go back to braided wire after hearing Tony's stuff for speaker wire.

6. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Wire is not directional, it can go either way.

7. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

Come on, man. Science can't explain everything ;)

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

One end should have an "arrow" on the plastic/rubber sheath, pointing you in the right direction.

9. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Ron, that's correct on newer cables but older runs didn't have that marking; only the "red= amp end2 code.

Chris

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Oh dear. First you lower your prices. Now you tell people the truth about the cables they got from the Imperial tailor.

Let me know when you make some new models. I really gotta buy something from you.

11. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

All I'm saying is, wire doesn't care which way it goes.

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

And it's utterly true as far as I know, for any instrument or speaker cable applications.

But no good deed goes unpunished.

13. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

Then why all the hype about wire being directional. I have several cables that show an arrow that's supposed to indicate the proper flow.

14. LaXu

LaXu Member

It's all got to do with the way the M (or "mojo" in layman terms) electrons move in the flux capacitor that the cable forms. The ends may seem identical, but once you add that arrow on the sleeve it couples the inner conductors with the atomic bonds in the copper or silver wire so that the signal flow follows the Haaergren-Kalakukko effect. This enhances the signal-to-noise ratio and provides clearer high end and extended low frequency response. The shape and color of the arrow is very important as are the materials. JFC-82 or JuustoFarqausChloride is best for the material under the arrow and an orange color tends to improve the warmth of the cable.

15. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Signal cables that have the shield connected at one end but not the other are considered to be directional.

16. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

Living in Austin, I heard years ago about EJ and the cable directionality thing and thought "bs" there's NO way it can make a difference

Well.. I tried it and sure enough, there is a subtle difference
    I tried a 10ft guitar cable and swapped ends, there is a subtle difference in the topend response and clarity

now, could my mom tell the difference?
    no way

could someone in a club audience tell the difference, nope.

but there is a subtle difference

17. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

Nope.

Placebo effect.

18. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Surely there is a scope trace of this difference somewhere. Say on the web site of one of the directional cable vendors.

19. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

As far as the original question is concerned...I believe Tony told me that the Evidence Audio Siren cable's "red" end works the opposite of his signal cables....the "red" end goes into the speaker output of your amp. IIRC

20. eaudio

eaudio Member

Hi Glogulus,

Actually you should try it both ways to see if you find a preference. I often find a preference and indicated it as such by putting the red boot on the "destination" end. The end that goes into the cabinet.

But it is free to try it both ways and can't hurt anything.

If you are concerned about people teasing you for falling prey to the placebo effect, you can send it back to me and I'll put black boots on both ends so you in effect have no idea which way you are using it. Some people feel safer using their cables that way and I don't want this to cause you any loss of sleep.

Nor will you hurt my feelings if you like it the other way around.

You may not even hear anything.

Under the best of circumstances I feel pretty confident I can, and I just indicate my preference as such.

Hi Tim! I think I know what you are talking about with regard to working the "opposite of the signal cables". That's with power cables. I find my preference for the direction of conductors used as signal cables to be the opposite direction of the preference I have for the SAME conductors used as AC power cables. Yes I prepare AC power cables after checking for directionality with my ears. Yes it the opposite direction from signal cables.

No I don't know of any test or device to measure what correlates to what I hear. That doesn't convince me I don't hear it however.

No I don't have any good explanation. Pet theory maybe. Copper develops a directional pattern when drawn to a small conductor size.The copper grains develop a "chevron" shape, which is clearly visible under a microscope. The shape is similar to these characters ">>>>>". One idea is that perhaps when the grains align in one direction versus the other,on some level there is a diode-rectification effect caused by the impurities between these grain boundaries, and as such the conductors exhibit better Radio Frequency rejection in one direction versus another.

I'm not smart enough to prove or disprove anything. I just listen closely to things and if something is demonstrable to myself and others, on a repeatable basis, what the heck, I might as well admit it. It's all about what we hear anyway. Plus it's easy and free.

But I WILL mod that cable for you and remove the red boot if the idea scares you. :)

Best regard,

Tony
    Evidence Audio