EVM 12L... all purpose speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Webfoot, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Noticed that Bonamassa uses these. Was going to get a cab and one single 12 for all around usage... fender, marshall etc. How good/versatile are these speakers?

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Fantastic if you want that clean (no speaker breakup) speaker at any volume type tone and can handle the vertebrae crushing weight. A absolute classic tone. WGS new clone is getting rave reviews too, much the same but everyone says it's a little warmer.

[​IMG]

If you wanna cop some SRV, Gilmore or maybe some G. Benson type clean tone at high volume these are your type of speakers. There ain't no speaker breakup unless your pummeling them with a Marshall 100w, big ampeg, Music Man or more.

3. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Great speaker, check out the Mesa Thiele with EV-12L - really big sound from a small box.

A neo version of the 12L would be pretty cool.

4. JB6464

JB6464 Member

The EVM12L and WGS12L are both great speakers.
    Very neutral sounding without coloring your tone as you drive them.
    I regret selling some of my EVM12L's a few months back , there is really nothing quite like them in tone.

5. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Just a heads up, but Bonamassa stopped using these years ago. He's been using greenbacks since he re-did his rig.

6. JB6464

JB6464 Member

The Eminence EM12's are alot darker sounding than the EVM12L's and also have a higher sensitivity db rating of 101.

7. JB6464

JB6464 Member

I also think the WGS12L sounds closer to the EVM than the Eminence EM12 imho.

8. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Big bottom though?

9. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Could be , but to me the WGS12L just sounds more musical like the EVM's to me.

10. DRS

DRS Member

What's a lighter speaker that gives a similar tone to a EVM12L? I have a light open back 1x12 pine cab that I want a lighter speaker for.

11. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Eminence makes a pro-audio speaker that was getting a lot of hype on TGP. There is a model with a neodymium magnet.

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-deltalite-ii-2512-neo-12-speaker-driver--290-593

However, I've personally gone in a different direction in my search for a balanced speaker.

12. Pelagic

Pelagic Supporting Member

Do 12L style speakers sound as good at lower volumes? Let's say powered by a Princeton Reverb on 3.

13. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Yes , i think they sound just as good at lower volumes.
    Just remember there will be no speaker breakup at all at lower volumes .
    I have used a quad of EVM12L classic's in a 4X12 which would be rated at a 800w cabinet load and ran it with a 30w head with no issues.
    And they sounded great !

14. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I use an EVM loaded mesa thiele cab with a Digitech GSP modeler and ART SLA-2 SS amp and practice alot at home at low volumes. It definitely wants to be pushed a bit and doesn't sound quite as big but its still a nice sounding speaker. When I say low home volumes I mean no louder than the laptop I'm playing along with where you can talk over all of it.

15. rummy

rummy Member

I use my 1x12 cab with an EV with a Boogie head, a Budda head and a Fender head. It sounds great with all that I've tried.

16. Pelagic

Pelagic Supporting Member

You got me above when someone mentioned Benson cleans, think I'll pick one up and throw it into my speaker rotation.

Is anyone going to talk me out of the WGS vs another?

17. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Important note : The newer EVM's are made in Mexico now , don't know if they sound the same as i've only owned the U.S. made EVM12L Classic reissues.

18. Structo

Structo Member

I use two EV 12L Classics in a large Vox 2x12.

Although I primarily play my Dumble clone through it, I have played other amps I have
    through it and they sound great too.

My impression of the 12L is that it really lets the amp through without much coloration.

It is also nice that I don't have to worry much about blowing the speakers due to their robust design.

19. DRS

DRS Member

What direction was that?

I have an EM12 in a ported closed back 1x12. I really like it. Sounds clear, no over-powering mids, and smooth top end. Articulate but not bright. It makes all my amps including my Mesa MkV 25sound good with a variety of guitars including a carved archtop Eastman. But it weighs 46 lbs. The pine 1x12 has a Emi PJ which is nice for rock crunch and lead but not so much for cleaner tones - strong mid-range. I want to use this cab for my MkV 25. I may try the Neo Emi. Or I may look at what you are using.

20. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Regarding the cabinet... I play a Blackfaced DR and Mesa Mark III which both tend to sound best - IMO - with an open back cabinet. I just use my combo cab with the DR and I have a convertible back for my Mesa (I always keep it open).

Regarding the speaker... I did not like the EVM with my DR and I was afraid it would break the baffle, so I quickly took it out and switched back to Celestion-style speakers. The EV sounds great with the Mark III, but I still tend to prefer Celestion style speakers for several reasons: weight, cost, frequency range. I love how punchy the EV is, but there is just a bit too much extended frequency. The treble sizzles just a bit too much and the bass is just a bit lower than I like. I had a hemp cone EV that sounded incredible - the treble was just dark enough. For me, the ideal bass response tends to come from an H-sized (50oz) magnet, not to mention its lighter than the 80oz magnet in the EV. However, I found that V30's get a bit ear-fatiguing for me, Classic Lead 80's have a bit of a ping or chirp in the top-end, Gold clones get a bit too dark when they are built to handle 100w. And I really like the smoothness of hemp, if its not too dark. This landed me with the Steamboat Hemp 100. Its got the smoothness of hemp, without the darkness - plenty of treble. Balanced mids like the CL80 (or EVM12L) without the chirp/ping: not scooped like a Jensen or piercing like a V30. Its loud like an EV or V30, has the punchines of any H-magnet Celestion without the weight and extended frequency of the EV's huge magnet. Handles a lot of volume before distorting... It just really fit my needs after owning a lot of speakers. I bought a second one days after I bought the first.