EVM 12L Cabinet questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by srf11, Apr 12, 2015.

1. srf11

srf11 Member

Have a sealed 412 cab that has 16ohm Celestion 70/80s in it (guitar player only here - no bass).

It's wired for 8ohm L-R (with "stereo" 1/4" input jacks) or 4ohm (right jack only) all mono - if I wanted to swap in 4 - 8ohm EVM 12Ls......

#1 - Is there anyway to wire them in for the use of the original jacks at those same impedances? I know I can wire all 4 in series-parallel to get an 8ohm load overall, but the ease of use (no impedance switch involved) is nice. Can I get a 8ohm load on each side and a 4ohm overall (1 jack) without using an impedance switch?

#2 - Is this all just overkill?? Yes - I know that's a loaded question, but.....as an audiophile (self-acclaimed sound goon;)) I recognize the importance of the best possible reproduction. My powered ATC monitors for the home system can run at massive levels w/out speaker distortion, and I'll never (intentionally) get speaker distortion from the EVs with how I play either - I'm a home guitarist only (and not a good one :bonk). However, that's kind of what attracted me to the EVs in the first place - they put out what you put in.

Just looking for thoughts from others who've been down the same path. Currently have 2 EVs in an open-back 2x12 Fender style cab, but can source 2 more. Would I be better off in getting a high quality 2x12 sealed cab for those first??

Thoughts, criticisms, sarcasm - it's all welcome. Just to clarify - mainly blues, southern rock, classic rock is my realm ......... besides my foray into nude flamenco. It's late - we can leave that for another time. :rotflmao

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I think its probably unnecessary for a home guitarist, but if thats what you want and like, don't let us discourage you.

What amp you using and how loud do you use it? I don't think you would push a single EVM12L to distort playing at home. When I use an EV, it stays clean at band volumes and as loud as I've ever needed my Mesa Mark III. However, I tend to prefer a Celestion style speaker, even if it breaks up a bit when I'm jamming, I can keep it clean when I'm in the studio. I tend to go back to a Celestion in a 1x12 as the best option - sound and convenience - for gigging/jamming. However, the EV sounds awesome paired with a Celestion too, especially something like a Gold, V30 or C90 (G12-80). Don't buy into the "puts out what you put in" thing too much - the right speaker (any speaker including the EV) affects tone, the goal is finding one that does so in a pleasing way. Even the EV is a midrange driver - not full-range, so it eventually acts as a high-pass and low-pass filter. Its just relatively flat across the midrange.

I tend to use open back cabs. I know some of the guys who played the styles of music your referencing sometimes used closed cabs, but I always prefer open, or at least 3/4 open. You might like the combo of an open and closed cab together.

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

You may want to consider a pair of 1 x 12" cabs. One as a 'racetrack' rear opening (like a Dumble style cab) and one as a ported Theile cab. I have the LOPO/Hermida cabs with EVM12L's and they are sonically stunning with a Two Rock (K&M Custom), and cover a lot of frequency range between the two cabs. I also use them together as well as separately, depending on what else might going on with guitar/effects on a given track.

Jtaulbee10 likes this.
  4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Overkill, you need a Champ Amp for home. You don't drive a bulldozer to work do you?

5. amphog

amphog Member

Yes a 4x12 of EV's is overkill, I have one [Mesa halfback]. You can get 2,8,32 ohms from 4 /8 ohm speakers. I mostly use my cab like a pair of 2x12's, very few amps need the power handling of 4 12l's. The difference in tone is not worth the weight of the 4x12.

6. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    Guitar/amp/speakers is about PRODUCING sounds/tones - everything else is about REPRODUCING those sounds/tones. A great HIFI amp has .001% THD [Total Harmonic Distortion] - a clean tube guitar amp has 10% THD.

Do you really like the sound of the two EVM12's you have now? If so I'd put them into the 4x12 cab. With just the 2 EV's & two empty holes it would be a detuned cab or you could leave two of the other speakers in unwired and use them as passive radiators.

BTW - this is all about what YOU like - we might love or hate it but we're not paying you to play either.

Russ

7. srf11

srf11 Member

You're all correct here - I'll never push them to anywhere close to what they're designed for. Hell, they might be so underdriven in my case that I totally miss any sweet spot.

Get caught up in the GAS syndrome, LOL. "More is better"

The 2 1x12 cabs is actually a great idea - you suggest a ported cab over a sealed? I've built many tuned, ported sub enclosures, but that's a completely diff need/result. I'll look into that possibility.

Good point on the true non-comparison of audio repro to guit amps - we want the latter to get pushed to breakup, while the first means you need something better.

Points taken. Gracias all

8. srf11

srf11 Member

Truthfully, I'm not overly impressed with them - they don't have any "soul" IMO. That's why I was thinking a sealed enclosure might be a better avenue -- especially after reading the EV literature and all the overt praise out there. They came with an older custom made 2x12 I bought on a Craigslist liquidation, so I've tried to make myself dig them.

Probably just too impressed with the stats and professional praise to realize they're not for me. Cant remember the last time I've filled an arena.:roll

9. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

If you aren't impressed with them not having soul a different cab isn't really going to fix that. I love them and have 1 open and 1 ported thiele cab so I can mix and match at will, you aren't going to get them to break up and a 4x12 loaded with ev is heeeeeeeeavy.

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

You shouldn't really put an EV in a sealed back cab. They need to breath to keep cool.

This is why they are generally used in ported cabs or open back cabs.

You can run a 100 watt amp Dimed into 1 EVM12L

11. srf11

srf11 Member

Amen there - the magnets and cages are massive - that would be a silly endeavor w 4 in a cab.

That's why I post here though - voices of reason. :aok

12. srf11

srf11 Member

Just pulled up the older 12L spec sheets - and they do push towards a 1.3 ft2 ported enclosure - going as far as actually having plans on request designating build, construction and equalization -- with an actual EV Form # 1544-523.

Now my starting this thread looks EXTRA-moronic. :FM

Hey - what's new there?? :eek: Once again, thanks all - going to get that project in gear now.

13. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

We are all morons on this bus. Don't worry about it.

Jtaulbee10 likes this.
  14. srf11

srf11 Member

I appreciate that - It would be a damn boring drive if we were all smart, right??

15. FFTT

FFTT Member

No, moving forward without asking would have been moronic.

You can't learn without asking questions and now you know more than you knew before, so now you are better informed, right? :aok

16. srf11

srf11 Member

Amen brother - and it is Sunday, so that might actually count as a double one!! LOL

*No offense meant there to any who might take it as anything but a bad quip*

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Please define what you're referring to as "soul". I have never found any grade of problem with any speaker. They are tools in a chain along with a guitar/amp/effects. Yes, a speaker is the final filter for you 'rig' but it remains a tool. The cabs will also make a certain amount of difference in the way the speakers sound. Perhaps consider a different cab/cabs, or a different amp...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  18. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

He hasn't posted in 5 years, his soul has left the building.

Suave Eddie likes this.
  19. JB6464

JB6464 Member

All you really need at home is two Mesa Thiele 1X12 Cabs with the EVM12L's in it .
    Fat tone in a small package and there's nothing like a nice stereo setup while being comfortable playing in a relaxed mode .
    Awesome cabs for any amp and they can handle any wattage you throw at them . :dude

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  20. aeolian

aeolian Member

At home volumes EV's are kind of dry and sterile. As you get them cooking things change. They don't have cone breakup or create harmonic distortion in the sense of lighter speakers, but they do change sound when pushed. Bruce Zinky explained this to me years ago when I had one of those Mesa quarter stack cabinets with a ported EV in the bottom and I'd switched out the Celestion in the open back top for another 12L. The large voice coil has significant series inductance. And the heavy cone and magnet structure adds mechanical inductance the more you try to move the cone. The net effect is of a low pass filter that increases with signal level. The louder you go, the less highs you get. This can help round off some nastiness on a really cranked high power amp, like something with 6550s. But it is a definite change in sound from what you get at home volumes.
    I still have one EVM12L in storage and a ceramic SRO (which has less inductance and is therefore sweeter) in a ported cab that I used to use with a Fuchs ODS. Not sure what I'm going to do with that. Probably store it away until some change in desired sound makes me pull it back out for another try.