EVM 12L Question(s)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fishin'Musician, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Silver Supporting Member

I bought these on ebay last week:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got a good deal I think, both for $105. I bid on these before the seller posted the pics and after he did so I got a little nervous because they look different, and because the one looked like it was torn and a repair was attempted (the seller tried to convince me it was "excess glue") but I didn't buy that, still I figured it was an OK deal and I could repair the little tear if need be....I got them yesterday and indeed it was a tear that went to the edge of the surround; which I "fixed" using some 3m spray adhesive and a little paintbrush. I mounted it in the cab and it sounds kickass.......my questions concern the fact that the speakers look like different models- is the one on the right with the lighter colored and taller basket a series 2? If so can anyone tell me what the difference is?
    Thanks in advance!
    -FM

2. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Pretty sure they are the same speaker model, version, etc.. From what I've seen EV made silver, white and black frames that were all essentially identical. Some were rated at 200W and some at 300W, but when put in a guitar amp/cab, they all seem to have really similar and very recognizable tone... personally, my favorite guitar speaker ever.

3. Fishin'Musician

Pretty odd though, don't you think, that one has an obviously taller/deeper frame? And if one is rated at 300 and one at 200 watts, wouldn't that essentially make them different models?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

More than likely different versions of the same 12L. Howvere, I would think that the one with the deeper basket should have a greater excursion of the cone.

5. cadjack

cadjack Member

The one on the right looks a lot like a whiteback SRO with the back taken off, very cool if it is.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The magnet's too big and the color's too grey for an SRO-they're actually painted white. They both look like EVs but I wonder if one isn't an EV-12L and one an EV-12M-not much difference in sound IIRC, just slightly different excursions. And yeah, $105 for a pair is a KILLER deal, they usually sell around $90-100 each.

7. tedjac

tedjac Guest

EV made a lot of 12" speakers, but the EVM12L's all had a very distinct and similar tone... so, it really doesn't seem to matter if it was a Series 1, or Series II, or 200W, or 300W... (unless you happen to be planning to blow 300W thru a 200W speaker!) Granted, my experience is limited to only about a dozen different EVM12L's over the years... they were different colors and some had labels and others didn't and some had red/black push pin wire attachmnets and others had solder pins, and some had EV on the cone and others didn't and some had bare backs and others had fancny ribbed plates on the back... but they all sounded like EVM12L's... that's all I'm saying.

8. Fishin'Musician

I've noticed people listing EVM 12L Series II models on ebay that look like the one I have with the taller basket- and these supposedly have a frequency response of 70Hz-7000Hz, which is wider than the normal EVM 12L that are 80Hz-5000hz. The new EVM 12L Black Label models also feature the wider frequency response, and leads me to believe they may be series II's. I'm curious as to what the newest one ScottL's been checking out specs out at...

9. darkwave

darkwave Member

I would guess that the shorter framed one is actually a 12S. I had one of those in a Pearce cabinet, but the cone had a significant tear repair so I'm hesitant to make a tone judgement with it as my only example.

-Douglas C.

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

EV are quite helpful - email them w/ numbers on cones and they should get back to you.
    I hear little difference between the 200w EVM12Ls, whether Series I or II, but hear a big difference between the 200 and 300w versions. The 200 watters are generally preferred - warmer, less hi-fi. The 300 watters seemed designed to suit a few applications while the 200w versions were guitar specific... YMMV, IMHO, etc...
    There used to be some info on Rivera's site outlining their use of the 200w vs. 300w.
    As for the EVM12S, while similar to the EVM12L, it seems it was designed to compete w/ JBLs of the day. Brighter, more hi-fi, perhaps better clean than overdriven...

11. Fishin'Musician

12. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Can't tell you much about EVM12L speakers, other than that I like the sound. For clean sounding speakers, they have great tone IMO.

These are a couple of the ones I bought new years ago. The one on the left side is a little bit lower because I removed that cover in order to fit it into combo amps. I got them for about $95 each, new.

They weigh too much, so I don't tend to use them any more.

Pete

[​IMG]

13. amper

amper Member

You might be interested to know that E-V is re-issuing a version of the EV12 speaker as a Zakk Wylde signature model.

14. tedjac

tedjac Guest

I spoke with a support guy at EV the other day... and they are also releasing a "Classic" model that will be a remake of the original EVM-12L... NOT the Black label ZW model that sells for $249 street price ($349 list) and has been "modified" to Wylde's specs. The new Classic EVM-12L will be available as both over the counter and OEM and should street well under $200. He said he's not sure when they will be out, but should be within a couple of months.

15. scottl

scottl Member

Jim Lupino at EV can get people in touch with distribution now... The classics are OEM brown box at this point in time.

Scott

16. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Hi Scott,

Did they give you a solid price for the OEM's? Are they bare back or do they have the more dressed up magnet area, with label and stuff?

17. Fishin'Musician

I found the brochure/spec sheet for the 12L on EV's website, the taller one is the correct dimensions depth wise to be a 12L, the other one is significantly shallower; I can't find any dimensions or any other info on the 12S but I'm betting that's exactly what that darker one is.
    What do you guys think?
    I bid on and won what was supposed to be 2 EVM 12L speakers in fine shape- and ended up with no EVM 12L speakers in fine shape. One has a serious tear, and one's not even a 12L. Should I be pissed? I am.

18. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

That's good to know. This is my favourite guitar speaker as well nice to see them getting reissued. I'll hold on to my scheckels a while longer before pulling the trigger on the ZW!

I wonder really what differances there is between the 300 watt ZW models and the older 300 watters? I thought the 300 watters of old were stiffer in sound than the 200 watters and more suited to a clean jazz or a steel guitar or maybe even bass. Not that that is a bad thing! Seem to be a lot more 200 watters out there too the 300 is quite a rare bird.

19. aeolian

aeolian Member

The "S" is what EV put in their PA speakers. There are a lot of 12" floor monitors and 300S models floating around. Calton used to use these, don't know if he still does. It has a much sharper and brighter tone.

20. telelion

telelion Member

I have a 200 watt EVM-12 Series II and it sounds great especially clean. It also is very useful for a channel switcher or pedal overdrive but I think would not be the right choice for a turn it up power amp distortion like a DR Z for instance. It's definitely a way to get a 1-12 combo amp to cut through the mix live. Yeah I would be pissed Fishin if they are defective.