EVM-12L vs SRO...feedback please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by edward, Feb 2, 2008.

1. edward

edward Supporting Member

Hey all,

So who has used both of these? I have (and love) my EVM in my Thiele cab. But having heard (read, actually) so much about the SRO, now I'm curious about trying one.

I am interested in your thoughts and opinions as I am deciding between these two for a Mesa MKIII (head) ...thinking of replacing the MC90 in the 112 open-back cab. Since I already dig the EVM in my Thiele, I figure another EVM would be a shoe-in for the open back 112. But before I commit to buying one, I'd like to know how the SRO compares. Specifically, what is it about the SRO you guys like/dislike compared to the EVM.

BTW, I use the open-back 112 as the lone speaker a lot, but do seldom use it along with the Thiele, so your considerations for the SRO both alone OR in concert with the EVM are very much appreciated! Thanks a bunch!!
    :AOK

Edward

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have never had an SRO but I have EVM's and really like the EV FORCE speakers. The are rated for 150 watts, are warmer sounding and I prefer them the the EVM's. The can also be had usually for $100.00 or less so they are a bargain.

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I love the EVM speakers.

Here is a clip of my twin reverb with EVM speakers. I just made this clip 5 minutes ago because I may need to sell the amp. Its been such a pleasure to have, almost entirely because of the ev speakers:

http://www.jacobmartinmusic.com/music/mp3/68twin.mp3

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

It's been a long time but I think the SRO I had was a 100 watt alnico monster, heavy as a bulldozer. Very loud and clear.

5. doctord02

doctord02 Member

There were two versions of the SRO; the originals were alnico and looked like big creme white coffee cans, rated about 85 watts. The later versions were ceramic and a big black cast metal magnet case with cooling fins all over it. Those were rated at 200 watts RMS. I own several of the latter style. They are less ice-picky in the treble than the EVM12L, yet very bright and articulate. You damn near cannot kill them. I personally like them quite a bit more than the EVM12L...

Horizontalmode likes this.
  6. edward

edward Supporting Member

I was thinking of the AlNiCo "coffee can" SRO. Thanks, guys!

And thanks for the tip on the EV Force ...I see those on the bay occasionally; cool!

Keep it coming :)

Edward

7. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

I have a late model SRO with the finned back cover. I think it says it's a EVM12L right on the cover. ...... same thing as any other EVM12L. [​IMG]

Don't make me have to go to the other room to look :mad:

8. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Can you tell us which Twin that is, and also what were the volume levels on the amp when recorded?
    Thanks

9. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

All original 1968 twin Reverb. The amp was pretty loud at recording. about 4 - 4.5 on the volume dial. (which, if you know EV speakers and twins, is very loud but very clean)

10. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I just removed the 90 from my Maverick and installed an SRO. Took away some of the high end harshness and smoothed and warmed up the lead channel. The cleans were already amazing and now are over the top.
    It's a great fit in this Mesa.

11. Clutch21286

Clutch21286 Member

FWIW- last month I sold my RW&B's out of my 2X12 and threw in a set of Force 12's I had laying around. They sound fantastic! They are clearer and have a sweeter breakup or OD tone (if you can call it that) then the eminince they replaced.

I am pleasantly suprised as they are supposed to be the lesser of the EV models.

12. cpike

cpike Member

I have an EVM12L and a couple of SRO 15s. The SROs are the old-style, coffee-can magnet cover style. They're huge and heavy, possible fit and baffle strength problems, depending on the cab, but the EVMs are heavy too. The SROs sound flatter, more hi-fi (I'm currently using my SROs in old hi-fi cabs for my stereo). A little like the JBL Ds but without the scooped mids. The EVM is louder and more aggressive sounding, almost hostile upper mids and highs compared to the SROs. No idea how the SRO 15s compare to the SRO 12s...

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

The only things that have ever been lesser about a FORCE compared to the EVM is the price and that they can only handle a measly 150 watts. They are simply different models designed to do different things. I have had many EVMs since 1983 but once I discovered the FORCE, I switched. They are more musical and warm. The EVM is still a great speaker and have their place especially if extreme loudness is needed with an amp that is going to do all the overdrive without expecting overdrive from the speaker.

14. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I had a Fender Twin I had 2 EV SRO's the original white coffee cans with the hugh magnets in the early 70's. I had put in after blowing 2 sets of eminence speakers. The twin weighed a ton, thank God for wheels. God was it a loud amp! I had Dean Markleys with EV Force speakers. now have a Mesa Boogie Mk III with EVM speaker

15. bosstone

bosstone Member

What makes it a SRO? Just asking.

16. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

So the EV 12L I think I have, which had a removable black heatsink on it, is actually a new school SRO?

I'm really more interested in the alnico magnet SRO as well. i picked up an Altec 417-8C lately and it's nice. Is the alnico SRO more similar to the 417 or to a 12L?

17. bosstone

bosstone Member

The first EVMs I remember seeing, did not have a heat sink. The one that came in my 1983 certainly did not. It was after that, that I started seeing heat sinks.

18. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Actually the earliest version of the EVM12L had the heatsink, the later ones didn't. This one is in a '77 Boogie cabinet-

[​IMG]

The SRO12L has a slightly different cone and heat-sink cover-

[​IMG]

19. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Would love to hear more thoughts on this (yes, I know it is a zombie thread, but exactly what I'm looking to learn right now!)

20. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Cool zombie thread tho