EVM-12L with a JCM800/Jubilee??

ecbluesman54

Any body use these speakers with their JCM800/or Jubilee? What are your thoughts. I would be looking at using them in a older JCM900 2x12 closed back cab. I have talked with a few people lately who are using them, and they have me intrigued.
I know there have been a ton of threads on these speakers, but I was looking at these specific applications.
Thanks for the input!

Never used the speakers, but that JCM 900 1936 cab is pretty crappy. I have one and it's particle board. It also is so directional that sound comes out it like a beam.

ecbluesman54

I have recently been looking into a new cab. What recomendations do you have for a match to Marshall heads?

glman

Any body use these speakers with their JCM800/or Jubilee? What are your thoughts. I would be looking at using them in a older JCM900 2x12 closed back cab. I have talked with a few people lately who are using them, and they have me intrigued.
I know there have been a ton of threads on these speakers, but I was looking at these specific applications.
Thanks for the input!
I have a slash 2555 head and i have 2 EVM 12L's from the early 90's - the amp sounds really rich and balanced with these speakers but it's almost " too smooth " - although it sounds great i prefer this head with 4 25 Watt greenbacks - they are very distinctive!
take a listen to the clips in my signature - all the marshall clips are with 4 25 watt greenbacks .

I personally use 4x12 Marshall cabs, but I've heard nothing but good things about Avatar cabinets. www.avatarspeakers.com. They usually have a specials area where you can get a loaded 2x12 on the cheap.

I mean, the 1936 isn't terrible, but it's not something I'd spend money to upgrade. It might work good with some beam blockers. When I put my JCM 800 on my 1936 it's instantly beyond bassy and tears the head off of anybody directly in front of out while covering me up to the rest of the room.

Edit - Agreed with glman, I run my amp through eight G12C-25 Greenbacks and it smokes. I highly recommend low watt Celestions. They break up immediately and have that traditional Marshall mids sound. The other option that works well with JCM 800s is the G12T-65 speakers. They have all of the balls of the usual 75's without the harshness. Good speakers!

Norjef

From what I've read, plenty of rockers use EV's and Marshalls--Zack, Randy. Try some in a good ported 2-12" cab set vertically (**with Beamblockers**).

For versatility, I like mixing 6L6s w/Celestions AND EL34s w/EVs...different strokes for different strokes.

Come to think of it, I used to run my Musicman combo YEARS ago through a 4x12 loaded with only 2 EVs. It sounded awesome.

jay42

Check out the 1986 'Eric Clapton and Friends' DVD. That's a JCM800 model 1987 into 1960A/B cabs each loaded with two EV12Ls. In the same period, Mark Knopfler was using the same cabs...check out On The Night.

KOG

I am using my 2553 with a Marshall 2061cx (2x12) with a EV12L & a Scumback H75. It is the best combination I have had so far, crunchy, punchy and full sounding.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I run a 1936 cab copy with Cl80's with my silver jubilee 2553. Never tried any EVM-12L's with the amp though. The EV's are even more neutral than then CL80's, but that might be a good thing.

Try putting that 1936 cab on its side if its too beamy for you. It looks a little weird, but it should help....

clunk

i was in a temporary band a while ago doing some Pink Floyd covers. The other guitar player had an 800 2203 with KT 88's and a 4x12 with EVM's. He later switched to higher powered JBL's. From what i remembered he was getting fairly decent Floyd sounds with either setup. Mind you he also had all the right pedals for Gilmours sound ie. older Rams head big muff, Fuzzface and a couple different delays, chorus and vibe pedals.
It worked good for that kind of sound. I guess it depends on the type of music your going for. If you want classic Marshall i would go with the Cel. 25w. speakers. I've never used 2x12 Marshall cabs so as far as cab speakers for that particular cab, i dont know.

Paul86

Yes and amen to EV's. Stevie Ray Vaughan also used them, and so did Gary Moore. Gary's Still Got the Blues was recorded with a JTM45 thru an old Marshall cab loaded with EV's. What a sound!

thegame

I have a slash 2555 head and i have 2 EVM 12L's from the early 90's - the amp sounds really rich and balanced with these speakers but it's almost " too smooth " - although it sounds great i prefer this head with 4 25 Watt greenbacks - they are very distinctive!
take a listen to the clips in my signature - all the marshall clips are with 4 25 watt greenbacks .
Do EVs "smooth out" amps in general ? Like take away that Marshall top end crunch ?

I thought EVs are supposed to be really bright on top (they go to 7 K) ? Do they have an 'in your face' responce ?

mesanatic

Well they don't add crunch to your tone. So you'll hear just your Jubilee gain not speaker distortion. Sharp and clear. Your neck pick up on an LP will never sound muddy anywhere on the neck. Tight! lowend.

V30's, G1280's, G1275's should all work well with less crunch than a G12M25.
A G12H30 will have less mids and better lowend than the 12M. Kinda bright to me.
A G12H100 or G12K100 will be closer to the EVM12L with just a touch of Celestion/Marshall crunch.

What's the best speaker for the earlier single channel JCM 800s to bring out that ballsy low-mids like a big mean dog growling?

Trending Topics