EVM12L in a Hot Rod Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kyle Ashley, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Anyone put an EVM12L in their Hot Rod Deluxe?

How did it work out?

2. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I don't think it will fit without the magnet hitting the tubes and trannies.

3. Kyle Ashley

I does fit. I just checked the fit with a brand new EVM12L Black Label, but the amp is being shipped out tomorrow for work, and I didn't have long enough screws to mount it tonight.

4. James BCM

James BCM Gold Supporting Member

100 watts is preferred, 50 can barely squeak by when pushing speaker as designed especially if it is the Zakk Wylde 300 watters. Yea, yea, I hear it all the time that a 40 watter does fine, but seriously guys, it is 20 lbs, not your normal V30, so you might look elsewhere but if you can't stand it, go Classic 200 watter.

I have 2 300 watters in an X pattern Soldano cabinet and we push it VERY hard at 100 watts in a daily working recording studio. No issues, but better use Senn 421 mic. It will eat an SM57 and ribbon mic alive.

LB
    BCM

5. Kyle Ashley

I'm thinking about using the 200 watt classic model.

The black label model went into one of my Bogner cabs.

6. Porklash

Porklash Member

I use one with a 25w amp and it works fine. So no worries about that.

pEr

7. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

I would never run that speaker in the HRDX.

Two Reasons:

That Baffle is likely not suited to the weight of the 12L. Unless you are never going gig it and it just sits, you might have issues.

There's just much better speakers for that amp. You wanna highlight the character of the amp not neuter it with a speaker like that. Get a high powered Greenback style speaker like a Scum M57 65.

Negs on the 12L for that amp. :bong

8. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

The EV12L or the Black Label is a very efficient speaker (100 dB sensitivity) and will work well with any low wattage amp. It doesn't "need" a lot of power to push it. That's the advantage of a high efficiency speaker. Those speakers don't really distort without a massive amount of power. The idea behind EV's is that you let your "amp" distort and the speaker just reproduces it. It's not the same as using a 25 watt Greenback where you get the speaker and amp distorting.

After all that I would say it's not the best choice for that amp. It will make it really heavy even if it does fit. It depends what you are trying to do. That's only a 40 watt amp. You won't gain much by using a speaker that is rated over 7 times the amp's RMS output. Do you want louder, a different tone?

Both Eminence and Celestion make speakers with 100 dB sensitivity that will be a matter match for that enclosure. The EV does have an extended top end. 7K vs the 5K that Eminence and Celestion speakers typically have. With high gain, EV's can be a bit "sizzly" if your amp doesn't have enough range on the tone controls to dial it out.

9. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I agree with tech21nyc above.

The EVM12L sounds very good at low wattage. I ran mine in a Blues Junior (15 watts) for several years (yes, it fit). It made the amp both louder and 'bigger'.

It is very heavy, and I eventually did the billm mods and moved the EVM to a Thiele cab for other uses.

Here's the thing on the EVM12L: It's a very 'natural' speaker. It does not color the tone much, if at all. People either like that, or not.

If you count on speaker coloration of your tone, you won't like an EVM12L

10. Kyle Ashley

Thanks for the input guys. I've run EVM12Ls in all of my Marshall and Bogner cabinets for over 20 years so I'm very familiar with their sound and characteristics.

I'm having my HRD modded by Jim at Omega and have been looking at, and recording different speakers to round out that amp.

The Jensen Jet Tornado is pretty good but has this tiny bit of annoying upper mid honk that stamps itself into the sound.

Then I tried an Austin Speaker Works BT80 which is their custom model for Bludotone. I found that a bit weak in the mids and sizzly on top.

So, I considered the EVM since it's been the only speaker I've really ever used since the late 80s. Actually, I had one in a MusicMan combo from around 1979, so I thought that maybe they would be a good fit for the "Fender" tone.

I know a lot of people like the CRex in those amps, but I don't want to lose the blackface sparkle of the clean channel.

11. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

I thought my Omega mod sounded great through the EVM 12L. However, it was in an extension cab, so I can't comment on how it sounds in the Hot Rod. All I can think about is that it would be a boat anchor for sure.

12. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

:agree I have a Mesa/ Boogie 1X12 Extension Cabinet with a EV 12 in in it. Actually both my other amps have that speaker too. It is a heavy SOB. It sounds good driven by the HRD but, I don't think that the baffle of the HRD can handle the weight of it. My HRD came factory equipped with a Celestion G 12 Vintage with a Neodymium magnet. Great sound and it doesn't stress the baffle as a EV 12 would.

13. Lance

Lance Member

Nah, 65 heritage.

14. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Get a Fane and be done with it. The firm tone of the EV but with a British twist. Doesn't weigh much either.