EVM12L - lighter-weight alternative?

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
BTW, the one combo I ever had with an EV was my c. '84 Rivera-era Fender concert (the EV was a stock option that I chose at the time). I never really loved it in that amp (too "hi-fi").

AR-305

For about 3 years I've been using a mark iv compact combo with evm12L. Yep it's heavy but regardless of the weight still the best sounding speaker for me and worth the effort to carry around. Recently I had an opportunity to drag out my old EVM12L loaded mesa halfback cab. So I put the mark iv back in it's head shell. The tone of the big cab is so glorious that I've left the amp in the head shell and drug out my old 1x12 cab with EVM. The 1x12 cab sounds so much bigger than the combo and splitting the weight up eliminates any desire to compromise to a lighter speaker. I tried the mesa C90 in the combo to reduce weight and only took about 10 minutes to ask "wtf was mesa thinking". The combo/EVM does sound crazy good when it's sitting on top of the EVM loaded mesa thiele. My conclusion is, there is no substitute for the real deal EVM. I too have been lusting for a ceramic SRO, but I'm thinking my first EVM I bought in 1980 is the best sounding of the eight I currently have. The only speakers I have that remind me of the EVM12L are the Mesa/Eminence MS-12 and an old Celestion G12H-100.

nospickups

I’ve owned 80/90s evm 12l,s and 12s,s. I have owned the reissue,(identical awfter break in). Now I use the delta light and absolutely love it. Light weight 1x12 cab for my 100w heads that can take a solid state with a good preamp like a champ. Those that love the 80’s 90’s speakers are usually playing a dull tired cone and surround and should really get it reconed.

Figaro

Supporting Member
The Eminence Deltalite is not listed as a guitar speaker, right?
Anyone know how it's sound compares to the newer Eminence Legend EM12N?

RayBarbeeMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Differences between the 12-100 and the Tornado?
12-100 was darker, had some similarities to an Emi C Rex but without the presence that comes back in the very high frequencies on the C. Rex. Excellent speaker if you're playing clean jazz. Tornado is more even sounding, like an excellent combination of British and USA tone. I really like the tornado and use them in a lot of things, I absolutely h8ed the Emi and Celestion Neos, though I like some of their other speakers. IMO Jensen is the only one doing a Neo that doesn't sound, well, like a Neo.

It still doesn't sound like a 12L, but I'd take a Tornado with a hole in it over a deltalite.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
12-100 was darker, had some similarities to an Emi C Rex but without the presence that comes back in the very high frequencies on the C. Rex. Excellent speaker if you're playing clean jazz. Tornado is more even sounding, like an excellent combination of British and USA tone. I really like the tornado and use them in a lot of things, I absolutely h8ed the Emi and Celestion Neos, though I like some of their other speakers. IMO Jensen is the only one doing a Neo that doesn't sound, well, like a Neo.

It still doesn't sound like a 12L, but I'd take a Tornado with a hole in it over a deltalite.
I'd have to disagree, based on owning both, that the 12-100 is darker than the Tornado. Indeed, I don't think either is "dark" to begin with. The 12-100 has a more solid and aggressive bottom end than the Tornado to my ears but both sound to me to put out plenty of bass. I also find the 12-100 to be more even balanced across the full spectrum than the Tornado which has slightly more mids to my ear. I also find the high end to be plentiful on both, though the 12-100's sound slightly more extended to me. All this being said, we are not now expressly taking into account the cabinets we each have/had both in which could themselves account for our differing perceptions.

Also, I agree with you 100% on the Celestion and Emi neos, at least those I tried personally. I did not like either and sold them all. The Jensens - both models - I've kept.

Tomm Williams

Who here can offer some comparisons between the SRO and EVM 12's? I have a pair of SRO's in a J Design cab that goes with my West Grande head.

Figaro

Supporting Member
I'd have to disagree, based on owning both, that the 12-100 is darker than the Tornado. Indeed, I don't think either is "dark" to begin with. The 12-100 has a more solid and aggressive bottom end than the Tornado to my ears but both sound to me to put out plenty of bass. I also find the 12-100 to be more even balanced across the full spectrum than the Tornado which has slightly more mids to my ear. I also find the high end to be plentiful on both, though the 12-100's sound slightly more extended to me. All this being said, we are not now expressly taking into account the cabinets we each have/had both in which could themselves account for our differing perceptions.

Also, I agree with you 100% on the Celestion and Emi neos, at least those I tried personally. I did not like either and sold them all. The Jensens - both models - I've kept.
I thought the 12-100 had a little more lows and highs than the Tornado and that’s why the Tornado sounded like it had a little more mids.

Last edited:

vtgearhead

Silver Supporting Member
A 4x 12 slant with these would be killer!
In the early 70s, I carted around a custom-built 3/4" ply cabinet fitted with (4) EV SRO12 Alnico speakers. Not too surprisingly, I've been plagued with back problems in the intervening years.

RayBarbeeMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Weird how people hear things different. I had plenty of both in all kinds of cabs; I found the 12-100 consistently darker and great for warm cleans but not so great for OD. The Tornado seems much more balanced.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Weird how people hear things different. I had plenty of both in all kinds of cabs; I found the 12-100 consistently darker and great for warm cleans but not so great for OD. The Tornado seems much more balanced.
It's possible we do hear the two speakers differently. It's equally possible that with the tiny - and statistically insignificant - sample sizes we're dealing with here, the tolerances on the batches from which our specific speakers came from simply differ.

tubetonez

I have used both the 10" and 12" Deltalites for guitar, I can't compare directly but they definitely have great tone - very full even response with sweet high end, not harsh. I am running 2 Deltalite 10's in a custom amp now, it is a stereo amp basically two BF Deluxe circuits in one box.

If you can find them, Eminence also made the Basslite speakers which are 150w vs the Deltalite 250w. While marketed for bass guitar, their frequency response is very similar. I picked up a couple of old stock Basslite 10H hemp cones, which they no longer make. I prefer the Deltalites with the Fender style amp, I plan to try the Hemp cones with a Marshall JTM build.

honeyiscool

Speakers are speakers. You can use anything for guitar amps. If anything, PA/bass/midrange drivers are often far more robust than guitar speakers are, and they're tested to more exacting standards in controlled situations than guitar speakers are, which don't really try to represent sound accurately and just try to have a certain tone that works qualitatively, whereas PA/bass/midrange drivers are guaranteed to offer specific measurable sound characteristics when given certain cabinet parameters and generally won't suffer as much from cone cry, speaker distortion, etc.

The only issue is that some PA/bass/midrange drivers don't use the quick connectors that are common on guitar speakers, which means you sometimes can't reuse the same connections. However, some of them do use those connectors. It depends on the driver.

Oakley

I tried the Classic Lead 80 in my Mark III. That cut about 7 pounds and sounded great - not the same as the EVM12-L, but just as good to my ear.

Then I swapped in the neodymium Celestion Century, which gave a total weight loss of 12 pounds. It also sounded great. Not the same as the EVM or the CL80, but just fine.

Here's another alternative: Lose the speaker altogether and get an EVM12-L Thiele cabinet. The Mark III combo cabinet without the speaker can't be more than 3 pounds heavier than the separate head.

davidespinosa

Supporting Member
To @edward and other EVM12L fans:

Have you actually A/B'd the EVM to other speakers?
I did, and the EVM lost.

IOW, don't assume it's great just because everyone says it's great.
Use your ears.

If you *have* A/B'd it, and you like it, then please ignore this post !

Wyzard

Supporting Member
To @edward and other EVM12L fans:

Have you actually A/B'd the EVM to other speakers?
I did, and the EVM lost.

IOW, don't assume it's great just because everyone says it's great.
Use your ears.

If you *have* A/B'd it, and you like it, then please ignore this post !
Yes, no, maybe, yes, yes.

I think that about covers it.

slybird

Does anyone here know when Celestion is going to release their Neo 250 Copperback? Its been listed as coming soon for over 2 months.

Oakley

Here's a video comparing various versions of the EVM 12L. The latest incarnation really does sound very different from the earlier ones.

https://youtu.be/nkZP1-E50cY
And here's a bunch of Celestions compared to the latest EVM 12L. The Celestions all sound similar to each other and very different from the EVM.

(cean)

(overdrive)

Trending Topics