EVM12L substitute

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by paulydangerous, Jul 26, 2008.

1. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

Has anyone found a 10 in. speaker that sounds anywhere remotely like an EVM12L. A few days ago I plugged my new head into a friends closed back 2x12 with EV's and it was just awesome. The problem is I don't want to lug around that big heavy cabinet. Also, my unloaded Hermida open-back 2x10 cab just arrived and I'm researching if I should give it a whirl with the 2x10 or send it back and get the 2x12 ported with EV's or Delta Pro 12A's. The EVM10L's are too hard to track down and cost a lot. The 10's I'm interested in are All Eminence..Lil Buddys, Delta demons, Delta 10A and the Neo Deltalite II 2510. I used the search function for an hour today and knowone has asked this question on this forum.

2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

EVM-10M......

I sent you a PM...

3. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

4. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I kinda went through this process too... I've personally tried Eminence Rajin Cajuns, WGS 10s, and Emi 1058s. Didn't like the Cajuns.. Settled on a mix of WGS and 1058s. I've heard good things about the Delta Demons but have not tried one personally.

The EVM12L is a hell of a speaker (I have one in a combo). Really unique!

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I don't think there's anything like the EVM12L in a 10" except the EVM10M. There's one on eBay right now and the price isn't too bad. There were a couple more there the last few weeks.

If you can get a hold of a good used Fane AXA10, you'll be in heaven. 100W Alnico 10" that is just fantastic, IMHO, YMMV.

The Fane AXA10 and EVM10M are my 2 favorite 10" speakers. I also have a Ragin Cajun and I like that too, but not as much.

6. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I think Weber's Michigan speaker is supposed to be an EV EVM-12L clone. He sells them in 10" versions too....

8. woof*

woof* Member

the EVM 10's sound close..i have several and use them all the time...but if your trying to save weight, there is very little difference. one of my amps is a 2x10 Blues Pearl combo with a pair of EVM10's and every time i lift it.. i swear it feels like its bolted to the floor..lol

9. Occam

Occam Member

One other option not mentioned is that you can pick up a Mesa 1x12 Thiele for around $200 these days and they have one loaded with an EV. It's a great utility cab to have around. Mine sounds great with my small amps but I can also fully dime my 100+ watt heads through it if I need to (and yes I do need to).

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I have 3 EVM12Ls and none of them have a harsh top end. Smooth and sweet as silk.

Any harshness may be due to the amp, not the speakers.

There have been numerous recordings of EVM12Ls in the Member Clips section, and you'll never hear any harsh top end on those clips. Not even close.

11. Occam

Occam Member

My EV's were a little harsh when I first put them in (I have 4 of them in a Matamp 4x12) but once they broke in they have a nice detailed clarity in the highs but no harshness at all and this is coming from a person who things most guitar speakers have harsh highs.

12. Roe

Roe Member

I think rivera had a lot of 10" EVs for sale

13. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

It's a matter of personal opinion or how much top end hearing loss each individual has. To me they hurt. Clips played through computer speakers are not the same as being in the same room as it.

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Perhaps.

If a tone hurts you in the high end then you have to adjust the amp's EQ - that's the logical/sensible thing to do. Not blame the speaker. That's what the EQ controls are for - make it all work together as a cohesive unit.

I can 'make' my EVs sound harsh by changing the amp's EQ, but why would I want to do that? I simply dial in the perfect level of high end clarity, with a smooth sweet edge. And I'm not overcompensating with my amp's EQ either - in fact I generally keep my Bass/Mid/Treble all at 10:30.

Maybe you listen on computer speakers, but I don't. I have a pro setup with Dynaudio BM6As, fed by an Apogee Ensemble, so my setup reveals the truth of a recording, good or bad.

15. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I was so close to buying EVM10L's off of Rivera amps when my wife told me she had to go to the dentist. She ended up having a root canal so I decided to hold off on spending 400.00 + shipping for 2 EV's. I got Delta Demons and wired them up today. They have plenty of low end and I had to turn my treble knob up a bit. They sound very good and when they break in they'll sound great. The Hermida cabinet is very nice. Low profile. Small and light weight. A Working Man's cabinet. Some day when I have money to burn I'll get a Hermida 2x12 ported and drop EVM12L's in it. I also got my Jetter Gain Stage Green today and it is by far the best distortion pedal I've ever owned.

16. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Nice choice man - Demons tend to roll off around 4k, so they're generally considered a darker speaker; but that's perfect perfect for blues and jazz sounds. I've always enjoyed my Delta LFA 12" which rolls off steeply after 3K - provides some serious meat to the tone.

17. davidp158

davidp158 Member

I'm looking for a portable cabinet, and Alf's cabs look pretty dang good. A few questions for ya:

How are you liking the Hermida cab with Delta Demons so far? Do you think a mix of a Delta Demon and a Rajun Cajun (or other speaker) would give a bit more top end or better balance? Why did you opt to go for the 2x10 instead of the 1x12? Any thoughts on ported versus open back? I've been using open back combos for a long time, but recently started using my THD 2x12 cab again. It has a small opening in the back, and sounds really good, but doesn't diffuse like an open back combo. I just need something smaller.

thanks for your time,
    Dave

18. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

hey guys how you compare the old EV12 to the new EV12 classic?