Evm12l.?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jockman, Feb 21, 2008.

1. jockman

jockman Member

I have just bought a cab with the EVM12L speaker in it. I have searched the forum and found some good info, but there seems to be a consensus that the speaker is not very good in a combo amp, is this true, if so, why?
    Also the speaker is from the early '80's, does that make it an original or a re-make?
    And lastly, what is the general opinion on the speaker regarding guitar tone, does it 'colour' the sound etc..

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Jon

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Not at all true. The EV's are just clean sounding speakers - not coloring the sound the way Celestions, Jensens, etc. tend to. No reason they wouldn't be good in a combo, unless you want a more colored sound.

3. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I've used them in the 70's and 80's along with many many people and I find them to be one of the best speakers made. They weigh as much as a car and are very loud and clean sounding so if you have an amp that needs extra volume and headroom it's a good choice. If your looking for breakup it'll have to come from the amp.

4. boltino

boltino Member

+1 to both comments above.

5. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I think the concern with the speakers in a combo is that they have a huge bass response. This means, if you have a higher wattage amp, the speakers will shake the CRAP out of that amp. BUt they sound phenominal...one just has to maker sure everythings bolted down well.

6. jockman

jockman Member

Many thanks to all for the replies. I am really looking forward to trying this speaker, inside and outside the combo.

Jon

7. edward

edward Supporting Member

No "general" opinion on the EVMs at all. More like love or hate, with not much middle ground :)

I am in the "love" camp. Great speaker, very focused and balanced, and superb overall tone. It is more "transparant" than "sterile" as is often derided. If you're looking for speaker breakup, though, no way no how.

Edward

8. paaes335

paaes335 Member

I haven't used mine in a combo, it's in a 112 cab used with either Fuchs ODS 30 or Mesa MKIIB heads. If you want clean headroom without a lot of coloration, EVM's are the way to go. I went through 2 other speakers that the Boogie killed (Celestion and Altec 417,) that EVM just won't be taken down!

9. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

i have one 12L in a open back combo. TONS of bass. i personally think these are some of the best speakers ever. dwight yoakam's guitarist pete anderson used them in deluxe reverbs. zakk wylde uses them in 4x12's . to me the only downside to them is cost and the weight. a 4x12 would have to weigh 200 lbs. i think SRV had 4 10"s in his super that would weigh a ton also.

10. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

In a fuchs combo I thought the EV12L sounded great! As far as folks saying they don't like in combo's, I think what you are hearing is that many folks say they don't sound good in a Boogie combo. You hear alot of boogie guys saying the amp doesn't good until you use a external speaker cab.

11. doublee

doublee Member

Does an EV sound like a JBL D120...both heavy frame spkrs?

12. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have had several Boogie MK series amps including a C+ Simul Class, all have had EVM's in them. It is not that they don't sound good with EVM's (not that they are necessarily the best choice) my point has been that everyone seems to judge those amps based only on the combo amp with an EVM and aren't aware of how much better that amp can sound when used with other larger speaker cabinets. After all, the Boogie Mark cabs are barely large enough to fit a single 12" speakers and that design can't begin to get the most out of any speaker.

13. tats_dragon

tats_dragon Member

I didn't like my EVM12L in an open back Mesa cab.
    A Theile cab is where the EVM12L belongs.

Jun

14. devbro

devbro Member

I love 'em for all the reasons mentioned :dude. I don't like speaker break-up and prefer to hear the amp. For me, It's a 12L or a D120F. The 12L is a little cleaner.

15. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

I agree with what you saying, but like you said, the 1x12 combo can barely fit the speaker. So to me as far as tone goes its a very poor design. Looks great, but no tone. With a Fuchs 1x12 combo there is some room and its a ported back, which seems to blend well w/ the EV for a combo. That said, I prefer these days to choose my own speaker cabs.
    No More Combo's for me!!!!

16. bosstone

bosstone Member

I believe Boogie was trying to make a statement, that they had an incredibly small package that could easily be heard on stage with just about anything. I think they carried the idea to the extreme and the sound suffers for it. That said, I wouldn't want it to weigh a pound more. Wow, what a heavy little package. I am considering getting a head cabinet for mine and much prefer using my single 12" detuned cab or my Marshall 4 X 10" cab with it. I still feel it sounds better then most amps with just the single 12" combo but I would prefer to use it as a head and with larger cabs, possible with but not limited to EVM speakers.

17. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

I am currently trying to research these speakers as well. I have closed-back 212 w/ greenbacks and it has been suggested to me to replace one greenback w/ the ev to achieve more of a "chunk"-type bottom end (think Judas Priest!) while still retaining some mid-range from the one remaining celestion. All this instead of replacing my cab w/ an oversize 212 or a 412. I don't know if this will work(?) Seems like they're hard to find these days.