Evox J8: Talk Me Out of This Idea. Or Not.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JoeInOttawa, Jun 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Absolutely agree with you. I have a set of Maui 11s, they work great for my duo, and I'm sure these will replace those, no problem. But -- and to your point -- I suspect they will not handle a full (moderately loud) rock band. My question is (and agreeing with you), these being more of a full-range solution, would they cover the same range and potentially replace my Yamaha DBR12s? Right now, my Yamahas and the subs I'm talking about are more than enough to handle the bands I cover. So, in essence, my question is, can the J8 replace my Yamahas as well, if I pair them with subs?

What say ye, @gigsup ?

Joe

2. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

The EVOX J8 is a system. You can't run the tops without the sub, because that's where the amp is, and if you run it without that amp, you already know you need to cross the tops over above 200hz, otherwise you'll fry the 2" speakers in short order with a band.

If you just look at the J8 tops alone, they do not replace your Yamaha self powered tops.
    • Must be powered with sub/amp component
    • Can't be used stand alone
    • Tops are not full range boxes

Adding a sub per side with the J8 won't increase coverage, just low end. How much bass do you really need?
    Adding an additional Yamaha speaker per side will increase coverage, and give you a pair of boxes you can use for other things as well.
    Not saying the J8 isn't a good system, but I wouldn't have it competing against a rock / T-40 with multiple vocalists.

3. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

No, I guess I wasn't clear: I plan to run the whole system with a sub to augment. I'll be running a crossover in the sub to relieve the Evox of everything below 100hz.

I don't need more than the Yamahas can give me -- far from it -- but I want to consolidate systems and sell some stuff off.

So, in essence, the (complete) Evox would be replacing my Yamahas in my Yamahas-plus-subs system. I'm less about more physical coverage than I am about volume enough to manage a drummer when filling a dance floor. By pushing the Evox subs "up-market" and relieving it of the low bass, it will absolutely give me more headroom in the Evox sub than it if also had to contend with the <100hz signal, but would the tops keep up? Basically, I'm asking, being crossed over in the same way as my Yamahas, would the Evox be a suitable replacement.

As for how much bass, that's where all systems sort of fall apart first. But since my existing subs do just fine for what I need, I'm just suggesting
    using the Evox as the mids and highs in a three-way system -- in much the same way that my Yamahas provide the mids and highs in the same system now.

I do see what you're saying, though. It's a great answer. I'm just not sure that's the question I'm asking.

So, assuming you understand exactly what I'm asking, what am I missing?

Thanks for playing this out with me!

Joe

4. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

There are a million great options for mid/high boxes. It seems like you’re trying to square peg this.

gigsup likes this.
  5. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Sort of, yes. But the round hole is being able to do double duty for my duo and the band. I want to consolidate when I upgrade my Mauis.

6. Crowder

Why not just use the DBR’s for your duo?

7. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Fair question: More and larger gear to schlep around (stands), and a pretty large footprint for the smaller pubs we play. We used to use them for that, but the Mauis are much more discrete, and less initimidating to the pub crowd (most people don't even notice them).

8. Crowder

It just seems like you’re overthinking this. I have done it myself! If your Maui systems work for your duo, keep em. The J8 will not be light years better.

Wait until you have more to spend and see what’s available then.

9. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Good advice -- but money's not an issue for this. Consolidation is.

But what do you think might be coming down the pike? What would you like to see come to market?

Joe

10. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

Let's see, you don't need courage, you have a smart brain, and a good heart, you know where your home is...
    Permission..... !

∆ ∆ ∆

By the powers vested in me, the Wizard of Oz, I hereby grant you permission to sell what you want to sell, buy what you want to buy, and do what you want to do where and when you see the need to do so, without second thoughts, buyers remorse, or existential regrets.

From this day forward you are the Knight of Audio Destiny.
    Let know man rent asunder what the Wizard of Oz has proclaimed this 19th day of June, 2018.

X WIZARD OF OZ

X___________________________
    Joe in Ottowa

Ω Ω Ω

Crowder likes this.
  11. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

I need that signed and returned to me ASAP, or they won't do the sequel. ;)

12. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Sequel? We'll need to talk money and residuals before I sign.
    :)

13. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

Enjoy your new RCF rig.:)

14. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Spoiler alert: Yeah, I ordered them. A 20% off coupon from Musicians Friend was both expiring yesterday and burning a hole on my pocket. So I took the leap. We'll see how much gear they'll let me sell off.

15. lennypazz

lennypazz Member

I have a pair of Evox 12s that I use for a worship band and speaking outdoors and inside. They are plenty loud - intelligible from 100 yards away on a prison yard. I haven't had any success with placing them behind the band, mainly because of the volume I run. They are much more convenient than the Mackie SRS 1500s and 1521s I used (also made by RCF), and I am pleased with the sound. I've had comments on how full they sounded. They have good coverage up close at seated height because of the downward angle of the lower drivers in the stick, which I lacked with the others.

I still use original SRM 450s (RCF) for side fill and monitors outdoors. I run the sides from the loop out of the Evox sub.

Let us know what you think of yours.

Crowder likes this.
  16. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Well, they're here, and they sound great. I am a little disappointed at the volume -- I had some unrealistic expectations, I know, but I had hoped they would replace my bigger rig (Yamaha tops, Peavey subs), and I just don't see that happening for medium-to-large venues. They are a bit louder than my Mauis (I have to push the Mauis to keep up, where the J8s are just humming along), and have a much more stout bottom end. And they ARE loud enough to carry a band in a 150-person (i.e., small) bar. But they are too big to replace my Mauis on duo gigs. So I'm a bit on the fence.

They do sound great, though, and I don't use my big rig much anymore, so I may just sell that off and have a small and intermediate rig. I certainly do not need to own three PAs.

What to do, what to do...

Joe

17. modulusman

modulusman Member

sure you do.:) I own 5 PAs

18. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

You, sir, are apparently much busier than I am.

:)

19. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

Same year, I own at least 3 complete rigs.
    Everything from 12s on stands to a small line array.

20. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Apparently, I have a problem. I just realized that my stereo rig for my guitar modeler (two Yorkville NX10Cs) is also a perfectly functional PA for small rooms.

Is there a support group for this?