• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

EWS Volume control

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
Came across this doing a search for attenuators
http://ews-us.com/item_volumeCtrl.php?item=custom

I recently picked up a 5150 50 watt head using it with a 2x12 and the master vol works really good. What would be the difference picking up the EWS and using it in the loop so I can crank the amp up a bit vs sticking with the master volume for fairly loud bedroom volumes as I'm doing now. Wondering how big of a change in tone it will be

stinkfoot

Placing a volume pot in the fx loop will not let you crank the amp up any more than you're already doing - just like the master volume, this volume control will do the same job of keeping the signal level hitting the power tubes down. There could be a slight difference, if turning the master volume up higher were to cause distortion in the amplification stage driving the fx loop send (this happens in the Fender HRD when a volume box is used - cranking the master overloads the op-amp driving the loop send). But that would be about it.

If I understand the concept right, the EWS subtle volume control isn't really meant to be used as a pseudo-attenuator (by limiting the signal level at a different point than the master volume does). It's more intended as a tool to let you introduce subtle volume changes, to make sure you always sit exactly right in the mix.

Trending Topics