Ex Fender Custom Shop John Page launches Japanese made guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by telesquire, Mar 31, 2015.

1. telesquire

telesquire Member

Wow, these certainly look good value for money. A chance for everyone to own one of his creations now. I am really tempted.

http://www.johnpageclassic.com/

Ben Furman likes this.
  2. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Very well done videos that run you through what makes a John Page guitar a John Page guitar. Upon looking at the order page, the asking price seems more than reasonable for a guitar that has had all the benefits of John's accumulated skills go into the design, and as with most high end versions of Leo's orig. concept, its the little improvements that make the big difference. At this price point, I'm fairly certain John Page will get the attention of players who are looking for a step-up in guitar quality, for as little wallet pain as possible. Looks to be a well above average, first rate execution of a classic electric guitar concept. Wishing John Page only good things on his venture.

3. JDutch

JDutch Member

I'm sure that many copies making S-style and T-style knock offs have good designers and know how at the top level. Seems like the actual problem is with using the cheapest possible parts and labor to mass produce guitars.

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Pretty cool!......I like that he takes an established design and does his own tweaks to it to come up with a product with some uniqueness....

5. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

Looks like a great working guitar, I'd love one.

6. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

meh. . .the design does nothing for me.

7. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

^^^ It does nothing for me, either.

8. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

What could be done to a Strat that would keep it a Strat and have that "wow, it really speaks to me!" mojo? Probably nothing.

It's another good Strat-style guitar to add to the mountain, no magic, just a shiny new tool.

9. cardinal

cardinal Member

As far as non-Strat headstocks go for Strat-style guitar, I like that one a lot. Very simple, but it works well IMHO. Much nicer than most (like the Kramer-ish Suhr/Anderson design).

10. Scott Naylor

Scott Naylor Supporting Member

With a lifetime guarantee?! Count me in.

11. Ulug

Ulug Member

I think their simplicity and perfect versatility constitute the genius in Leo Fender's creative works. I doubt if a derivative of any of his designs will necessarily be better than the originals as far as specs go, unless superior craftsmanship is involved in, say, fretwork or set-ups, which to me seems unlikely to happen in any mass production scenario. In all due respect, if I were a Strat person, I'd just get a Strat that I liked and take it to a good tech for an overall fret and nut check-up, then set it up, and that would be it, rather than seek slightly modified alternatives in wishful thinking.

Completely custom shop made instruments excepted...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

It's a strat with a nice choice of tweaks, imo.
    Nothing grounbreaking but things not found on the usual Fender lineup.
    More attractive than the usual Strat but neck feel is always personal so YMMV.

Magic..the designer says!!

13. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

The reverse slanted bridge pickup is the only part that looks strange to me. Otherwise I think it is a nice looking Strat copy.

14. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Love the body.

Wish it had a better headstock shape. That one looks a bit too much like the one on my $140 SX Liquid. It's not terrible, but could be better, IMO.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Love it, if I had the cash and was looking for a new guitar I'd grab one in a heartbeat vs. all of the standard strat types out there. It's less than many builders who are making clones with run of the mill parts (Warmoth, USACG, etc...)

16. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Nothing. If I want a Strat, I want a Strat. That's why I admire Reverend, who has the guts to make a Strat copy that doesn't try to look like a Strat.

17. dazco

dazco Member

Personally i'd much rather go with a fender MIJ. I ordered a gorgeous 62 custom tele from ishibashi recently and paid $683 shipped and i assure you these Page guitars are not better made aside from maybe the switch and pickups. In fact, the closeup of the truss rod channel looked a but sloppy unlike anything you'd ever find on a current MIJ fender. Plus when you buy a non standard design like that good luck selling it. I've tried to sell non traditional models many times and it's an exercise in futility, while a fender will sell easier/quicker and for less of a loss.

18. dingdongditch

dingdongditch Member

:agree

19. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

I like it. I only wish there was an American made option for those who want to support our economy and like the idea of an American made guitar.

20. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

D'Pergo headstock shape?