• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Examples of great J45 tones on cd's not youtube

rjsc5

Title says it all, I am interested in the classic tones of J45's.
Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Dave Richard

hhmmm...Lightnin' Hopkins....Jorma Kaukonen...are two that come to mind. I know they both often used J-50s(same guitar), but exactly which recordings, I'm unsure. Early Hot Tuna recordings for JK, Arhoolie recordings for LH. there is alot of good video footage of Hopkins available,i.e. the documentary film 'The Blues According to Lightnin' Hopkins' by Les Blank. I'll think of more over time.

Dave

Dave Richard

Just remembered, there was a Jorma Kaukonen solo album, very early '70's, called 'Quah". Excellent album, and I'd wager he's playing his '58 J-50. His more recent 'Blue Country Heart', show a pic of him playing Old Trusty(my term). That album is also excellent.

Dave

Jerry

Gold Supporting Member
Russ Barenburg has been playing a 40's model for quite a few years. He played one on some of, if not all of an album with Jerry Douglas and Edgar Meyer called Skip, Hop and Wobble.

Matters

Check out Nickel Creek albums from the last 7-8 years. Sean Watkins plays a vintage J-45. 21st of May being a good song example. A lot of his solo stuff also has the J-45.

Matt

Trending Topics