Excelsior Cabinet - What is it made of?

Joey Anchors

So I'll be getting one of the first years in a week or so and was doing a search on what Fender made the cabinets out of on these little Excelsiors.

Does anyone know?

dragonfly66

Welcome to the Excelsior club!

I believe it is MDF board. It is quite heavy. If you replace the speaker it will be even heavier as the original speaker has a very small magnet. Some have made cheap pine cabinets to put it in to save on the weight and those that put it in a pine cabinet have also enjoyed the tone better. Tone is subjective so your mileage may very on any modification, be it a speaker, cabinet or circuit changes.

I have an original and a Pro version. I like the honky flavor of the original speaker, but the Pro speaker, supposedly a copy of the Eminence Legend, does well in this amp. I just bought the Weber Chicago series speaker for the Excelsior, but haven't tried it out yet. Only one other person I know of has tried the speaker and really loved it. We will see.

Joey Anchors

Welcome to the Excelsior club!

I believe it is MDF board. It is quite heavy. If you replace the speaker it will be even heavier as the original speaker has a very small magnet. Some have made cheap pine cabinets to put it in to save on the weight and those that put it in a pine cabinet have also enjoyed the tone better. Tone is subjective so your mileage may very on any modification, be it a speaker, cabinet or circuit changes.

I have an original and a Pro version. I like the honky flavor of the original speaker, but the Pro speaker, supposedly a copy of the Eminence Legend, does well in this amp. I just bought the Weber Chicago series speaker for the Excelsior, but haven't tried it out yet. Only one other person I know of has tried the speaker and really loved it. We will see.
Thanks for the info dragonfly66. I plan on replacing the stock speaker with a new Jensen P15N and upgrading the tubes to JJ's (5751, ECC83, 6V6)

Trending Topics