Excessive Humbucker noise - EMI radiation???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gallery, May 5, 2015.

1. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

All of my guitars hum like crazy. I've confirmed it's not the amp. Something is putting off EMI radiations that is being picked up by the guitar pickups. We recently had the basement renovated. I assume it could be related to the house wiring (Not noise in the wiring because I use a Furman, but radiation from the wiring maybe?).

Any help or suggestions on how to reduce this?

2. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I'm also interested in this although I just get buzz, not that pulsing. The pulsing makes me think dimmer. My buzzing guitars are quiet at my tech's place and at my friend's 150-year-old house. An expensive power conditioner and moving to different circuits had no effect.

3. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

I get a lot of humbucker noise as well and I am in NYC, so it must be a tri-state or East Coast thing. Probably the space rays emanating from the Statue of Liberty. :bitch

4. dazco

dazco Member

Did u try the guitar>cable>amp and nothing else? If not i would try that and if it works you probably have a ground loop. I find when i get that thing where it starts to hum more as you roll the volume down it's usually ground related. Maybe they didn't ground the mains when they remodeled.

5. Gallery

Yep that video is

guitar >> lava cable >> amp >> Furman P-1800 PF

So it can't be a ground loop. It is not the amp. It's most definitely the pickups reacting to some sort of electromagnetic waves.

6. 8len8

8len8 Member

If the noise changes as you move around in the room then it's likely EMI. You can line the control cavity of the guitar with foil and then ground it to help shield things.

7. Gallery

Yes the intensity definitely changes as I move around the room.

8. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

You can buy an EMF meter to check where it's coming from.

9. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Try unplugging the wall warts in the power strip one by one while the noise is audible, and hopefully one of those might be the culprit. In fact I'd start with the supply for the Torpedo CAB, that unit draws a lot of current (lots of DSP in it) and a switching power supply for such a beast can make a lot of noise.

This may seem redundant, but eliminating noise sources can be difficult, with lots of trial and error, and the cures may sometimes seem counterintuitive. I have seen unbearable sound issues caused by the most trivial of things.

10. Gallery

Yep did that. No dice.