Exciting Changes in Les Paul Models

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by malabarmusic, Jul 6, 2005.

1. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Guitarists the world over are familiar with Gibson's famous series of Les Paul Guitars. They include some of the finest solid body instruments manufactured today --- and lead the field in popularity. It is with great pride that Gibson announces exciting improvements in these three Les Paul solid body guitars:

LES PAUL GUITAR IN CHERRY RED

A beautiful red cherry sunburst finish is the news here! This guitar now has a rich, rubbed appearance that cannot be equaled at any price, and the "new look" that is tops with today's guitarists. If the illustration above were in color, you would see exactly what we mean -- this instrument is a true beauty. In the future, all Les Paul guitars will be shipped in cherry sunburst finish -- there will be no increase in price.

All other features of this wonderful guitar will remain exactly the same. Two, powerful humbucking pickups give the instrument increased sustain and a clear sparkling tone. Any guitarist will appreciate the wide range of tonal colorings produced by the Les Paul. Tune-O-Matic bridge permits adjusting string action and individual string lengths for perfect intonation. Graceful cutaway design with attractive inlaid rosewood fingerboard. Separate tone and volume controls for each pickup that can be pre-set -- three way toggle switch to activate either or both pickups.

Les Paul Guitar -- Cherry Red Finish ................... $247.50

No. 535 Case -- Faultless, plush lined ..................... 42.00

Excerpt from the December 1958 issue of the Gibson Gazette -- describing the 1959 Les Paul Std.

Fun fact #1: $247.50 adjusted for inflation is $1,676.24 (the case price in '05 dollars would be $284.45).

Fun fact #2: Ignoring taxes, $247.50 invested in the S&P 500 in December 1958 today would be worth almost $25,000.

- DB

2. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

I've had a quilt top Paul in Firemist for 8 years now.

3. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Fun fact #3 If you've taken your $247.50 and paid list for a 1959 LP and you still had it, you'd be WAY ahead of the S & P 500.

At least that was the rationale I was being given at Solidbody to shell out $110,000 for the lesser of 2 59's in their vault.

4. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

Sorry, misunderstood the thread; I was having a "senior moment". Still, $247.50 for a solid body guitar.....I don't know

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

a decent 59 is now worth over $150K USD.

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I've got $5k to blow. Mr. Peabody, set the Way-Back Machine for 1958! I need to do some shopping!:D

7. Joe

Joe Senior Member

Not to me, I don't understand the craze. :confused:

8. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I've felt for awhile that any guitar, no matter who owned or played it is worth more than 50,000.00. Sure, lots of folks will disagree with me , thats fine. It's still wood, wiring and some cosmetic goodies. Folks w/150k and up to spend are allowed their folly. I guess the journey to acquire mojo and tone are endless and expensive. IMHO, they come from places that money can't buy though.

9. mbratch

mbratch Member

I have the same feeling about it. I wouldn't spend that much on a guitar. But then I buy guitars to play them, not collect them, look at them, and show off to my friends.

In general, I don't think people pay 150K to play a guitar. It's a collector thing. It's not about the mojo, but about a historical era. Much like the antiques market. To some, that's worth a lot. The worth of an item isn't in the material itself, but in what someone is willing to pay to have it.