Excluding the Champ, What's your favorite Vintage 5 watt? give or take a few watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Motherfuzzer, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Motherfuzzer

Motherfuzzer Supporting Member

That also sounds good.

There is another one of the Dearmond studio r5t's on ebay. They're asking a lot;
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-19...862031?hash=item2625ea304f:g:ocMAAOSwQ8xdbXqc

Then there is this;
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-De...547126?hash=item420c9e5ef6:g:zOAAAOSwwKZdPegY

$3000? jeez better grab 'em up now, and hold onto them!

Leonc likes this.
  2. Motherfuzzer

I will most likely end up with a vintage Supro. I like them.

FloridaSam and pirate19 like this.
  3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The Skylark was a single 6BQ5 tube, single ended Class A amp. The champ was the 6V6 power tube. I've "heard them" in studios. The one I tried in person wasn't a game changer, I elected not to buy it. Can't say if the circuit changed, you could check the GA-5 schematics online and judge for yourself.

I'm not real well versed in the el84/6bq5 circuits, as I preferred the Champ and Gibsonette much more...after I tweaked them, that is.

Billy Van Beck likes this.
  4. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

The problem is you want to limit it to 5w, which automatically leaves you in Champ/tweed-Princeton land. 5w locks you in to single output tube circuits, and the formula for most (maybe all?) manufacturers was to use a single preamp tube. That architecture severely limits what can be done, and the "lack of features" was almost certainly a conscious choice by the manufacturers as a way to guide buyers to the bigger & more expensive models once they graduated beyond a "student-level" amp.

So if they're "all the same" most of what you have left are subtle differences among different companies' offerings. Basically, it's about how a company could sell "the same amp as Fender" but pinch every penny to undercut Fender on price. So the lookalike versions often are different grades of trashier sound.

When I first saw this thread I was going to post that my fave was the 5B2 Princeton. I once had a 1954 example, and the lack of feedback no doubt helps it break up nicer than most Champs.

The DeArmond R5T schematic shows it is a cross between a tweed Princeton (without feedback, like the 5B2) and a Vibro Champ. I'm sure the bigger speaker helps. The single-knob tone control uses a circuit that doesn't impose the mid-scoop and concurrent signal-reduction of the Vibro Champ's blackface-style tone stack.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Leonc likes this.
  5. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Gibson had a nasty habit of using the same name on numerous circuits, and never even printing a schematic for half of them. There are at least 2 different versions of the Skylark, one with feedback and no tone control, and another with a Tone control but also a fixed-filter circuit that severely scoops midrange and reduces signal level (and ability to easily overdrive).

The DeArmond (and Martin brand amps made by DeArmond) are rare, and priced beyond their intrinsic value as a result. I'm pretty sure @Leonc made a clone, and personally I'd build an R5T copy before I'd shell out cash to buy one.

6. Deadicated

Deadicated Member

[​IMG]

This 47' Supreme is my favourite that I've found. Nothing else is quite like it.

7. Motherfuzzer

I really like the National Leon. Thanks for posting this one. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one of these. I've been watching your other vids too. I have a few emails out to sellers on some other small amps. Nobody likes to respond to emails when they are selling things it seems.

8. Motherfuzzer

Those are really cool. I have never even heard an amp like that. I wonder if the new Supro Blues King comes remotely close.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  9. Motherfuzzer

I changed the subject title to allow more watts!
    I figured most people would have just posted what ever they want anyway, which is what usually happens in here. Thank you for the valuable info.

10. Motherfuzzer

What kind of tweaking do you like to do to them?

11. Scumback Speakers

Well, mine were tweaked with HAD's help till I got the tone I wanted. There's some proprietary tweaks/measurements, etc involved that are unique. Bigger single ended transformers, specific star grounding points, and then the whole Dumble cap spacing thing for ESR to dial in the tone. I also prefer having an OT that can do 4/8/16 ohm taps with a switch. That's all I'm going to divulge on the subject, sorry I can't be more specific than that.

rdodson likes this.
  12. Motherfuzzer

When looking at amps online, I occasionally see a transformer attached to the speaker, are these widow makers/models to avoid?

13. Scumback Speakers

Usually a field coil speaker. They went out in the early 50's for the most part when output transformers became standard.

14. Motherfuzzer

Does that mean they would need a transformer added if you wanted to change the speaker?

15. Scumback Speakers

Yep.

16. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, as stronger magnetic material was developed, field coil speakers were abandoned. That said, there are many older models in which output transformer (a regular old output transformer!) was riveted to the speaker. This was very common in Valco-made amps in the early-mid to late 50s, for example. You kinda need to know what you're looking at, or ask someone who does ;)

E.g., here's my old National 1210 with a field-coil speaker:
    [​IMG]

And here's my old 1624T with a regular output transformer riveted to the frame.
    [​IMG]

17. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I'm amazed by the tone from this 5 watt Supro Corsica. it's got trem, reverb and and OLD JBL D131 (,not original) loudest 5 watts I've ever heard. This thing sounds better than it has any right to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rdodson likes this.
  18. Motherfuzzer

I always love the chrome.

Is that JBL a 10 incher?

19. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Nope. A full 12 inches.

20. Tortex Cortex