"Exclusive" Cheezoid merchandise

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dansworld, Apr 14, 2016.

1. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

My wife has become a crazy bird feeding lady the past couple of years. When we relocated here in Central Florida a few years ago we were lucky enough to find a nice waterfront home in a semi-natural (although suburban) setting, which really helped fuel her continual feeding and photographing of the many ducks, herons, hawks and other birds that come through our yard daily.

My former Mohawk and leather wearing punk has become a middle aged softie!

It was funny when she completed her transformation was by purchasing a cheezy sweater with a red cardinal embroidered on it from ebay; half as a joke, but half because she really wanted one. I couldn't believe it!

So last Holiday Season I saw an ad for a "crystal red cardinal necklace" from the Danbury Mint. I had to get her one as a joke thinking she would also really like it although it was oh-so cheezy and cheap looking.

So I ordered it for her and when it arrived she absolutely LOVED it. We had a really good laugh over it but she secretly cherishes it, which is fantastic.

[​IMG]

The story DOES NOT end there, however.......

I am now INUNDATED with daily offers from the Danbury Mint...I get at least two mailings a day from them, every freaking day. I even just received their 50 page Mother's Day jewelry catalog, full of extremely cheap and mostly fugly stuff for the discriminating Mom this holiday....

It never stops! I got the mailing for the $100 Wood duck and babies sculpture, endless announcements about EXCLUSIVE reservations for all sorts of rare and valuable limited edition commemorative coin sets and basically advertisements for every kind of crap you could imagine.

I had a feeling I was getting myself into something like this, but I had NO IDEA how aggressively these vultures would market this stuff to me just by purchasing one lousy necklace!! This is unbelievable!!

2. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

You're gonna need more than mojo, as those people can be relentless.

I hope someone here can off some workable suggestions, as unless they respond well to being asked to remove you from their database, I've no idea how to protect yourself from those a$$hats once you've given them your contact info.

3. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

This is why I never leave home. Nobody knows where I live so they can't send me crap.

4. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Came to read about Joe Bonamassa marketing swag.

Left disappointed. :D

But yeah, my 80 year old mother in law receives about 100 pieces of mail per day, usually this type of stuff, Readers Digest, etc.

You may have to move to make it stop.

5. radicool

radicool Member

Hey Dan, tell us the truth: she bought matching cardinal sweaters, didn't she? I know you were wearing yours when you started this thread...;)

dansworld likes this.
  6. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

ARRGHH! Busted!!

What's REALLY special is my Tufted Titmouse sweater ;)