Excursion into western swing - inc Backing Track

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by journo, Sep 15, 2005.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

For some reason c&w and wester swing doesn't seem to be much in vouge here at TGP. Being as it may I have listened a bit lately to Brad Paisly and he has inspired me to look into the style.

Therefore I decided to write a tune in this style. As this is not my primary style I do not have the correct tool for the job (i.e. Telecaster) so I used my Suhr Classic running through a Boss GS-10 to record the guitar parts. All other instruments are VSTi running in Cubase SX 3.1.

I really would like to hear your views on this as it is new. It would also be very rewarding if anybody here who is "conversant" in this style would care to post a take.

Here's the tune:
    Wide Brim

And here's the backing track:
    Wide Brim Backing Track

Have fun! I did. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

2. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Thats cool not exactly Western Swing but rather nice all the same. Sound more like some Spotnincks track than Bob Wills.
    I wonder what to play over this... I wish i had a Hipshot and some slide rings for this.

3. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

Mats, You are very versatile. Your backings are second to none. Thank You for sharing.

Brad Paisley is one heck of a guitarist.

4. journo

journo Member

Hi Jeff,

Being versatile is fun and I take pride in being able to pull off a few styles but it has its price. I don't spend enough time with any one style to get really really good.

Cheers,

Mats N

5. dave251

dave251 Member

I wouldn't call it "Western" swing either..."Country" swing, maybe. Needs more extended chords in the blues/tin pan alley vein to be called western swing (think 6251 turnarounds and such)....and the drum track isn't quite.....

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it....

Listen to Bob Wills, or for a more modern take, Asleep at the Wheel.

And you don't need a Tele...your guitar tone was fine...for "country"....personally, I prefer a more fat body tone for Western Swing...more jazz influenced, with a bit of "acousticness"....

As far as instrumental, Bob let the Playboys swing, but with the arrangement coming FIRST...twin fiddles, twin guitars, horn section. Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel is the essential proponent of modern Western Swing. Take a good long listen to them, and see 'em live if you can...he's ALWAYS got GREAT musicians.

All in all, though, a great effort...kudos....

6. journo

journo Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for listening. But even more thanks for the constructive critisism.
    I have never heard either Bob Wills or Asleep At The Wheel. Seems I will have to chase a few cd's and listen. Then maybe I will be more stylistically correct. I really like hearing and trying new things so this will be fun.

Cheers,

Mats N