Exercises for beginner sweep technique learners

M

Member 184391

Hey Guys,

First off, I am new to this forum, glad to be here and hope you are all great and making your gear sing!

So, I've been wanting to learn the sweep picking technique, but I haven't found many exercises for it. Could you guys share with me some exercises and any tips that helped you develop your sweeping technique? Things like pick positioning, pick attack, finger elasticity (loose/tight), and etc.

Thanks in advance!

LaceSensor1

Gold Supporting Member
A great arpeggio to start your sweep picking adventure would be the C shape major arpeggio, root on the 5th string.

I can tab this if you're not familiar with the arpeggio shape I'm referring to. The shape lends itself well to learning sweep picking.

Tim Bowen

Yes, the Gambale books.

Not a forte of mine really, but I like this major triad workout:

-----------7--11~7------------------6--9~6----------
---------7------------7---------------7----------7--------
-------8----------------8-----------6--------------6------
-----9--------------------9-------8-------------------8---
---9------------------------9---9-----------------------9-
-7-----------------------------6----------------------------

-----------5--9 ~5------------------4--7~4----------
---------5------------5--------------5----------5--------
-------6----------------6----------4--------------4------
-----7--------------------7-------6-------------------6---
---7------------------------7---7-----------------------7-
-5-----------------------------4----------------------------

etc.

There's one pulloff (~) on the high E string for each shape, but other than that it's just forward or backward pick rakes.

As the guy said in the video a couple of posts up, you don't really need a lot of distortion; however, a really nasty, ugly, gained out tone can actually be good for practicing whenever you're working with something where dampening unwanted strings is a big deal, such as with slide playing or glide/sweep picking. The nasty, gained out tone makes you work harder to eliminate extraneous string noise, and going back to dampening with a realistic and pleasing tone seems easy by comparison. Kind of like taking the ankle weights off right before the big basketball game.

T Dizz

start with the 1st 3 notes, those 3 sweep down, sweep back up... when that is comfortable and clean, add a note. Repeat.
As someone who struggled with the physics of sweep picking, this really was the best way for me to learn to do them clean.

Manny Scott

Hey Guys,

First off, I am new to this forum, glad to be here and hope you are all great and making your gear sing!

So, I've been wanting to learn the sweep picking technique, but I haven't found many exercises for it. Could you guys share with me some exercises and any tips that helped you develop your sweeping technique? Things like pick positioning, pick attack, finger elasticity (loose/tight), and etc.

Thanks in advance!

What do you mean you "haven't found many exercises"?.....youtube is littered with sweep picking tutorials......

Trending Topics

Top Bottom