1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

EXH HOG - Anyone Tried it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eknapier, Jul 21, 2006.

1. eknapier

eknapier Member

This pedal looks awesome, but I don't see any reviews of it here. Has anyone tried it?

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I have the POG and want a HOG soooo badly... so many cool features! If there's one at the music store today after work, I will definitely try it out and post a reply here!

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Im looking into getting one today off e-bay. $429, its not that steep is it? Ive wanted it for a while. Ill pm you on what I think of it when I get it. From what I heard its just a upgraded version of the POG with a bit more features. I heard that the extra expression pedal is a must;)

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think $450 is the best new price from AnalogMan (summer special)...

It's got a ton more features than the POG... expression pedal and expansion pedal for selecting presets are both musts, at least for me when I get one...

It's a whammy (octave or one step ranges), envelope and LPF filters, octaves, octaves + 3rds and 5ths I think (not like a harmonizer exactly, it won't read what key signature you're playing in or anything), has a hold feature, hold + glissando, wah, something crazy called "spectral gate"... There's like 8 different functions for the expression pedal in addition to the octaves and filter/envelope settings, I think the expansion pedal can save 6 presets, so it's like 7 presets if you have the controls on the actual HOG set differently...

It doesn't have the detuned octaves like the POG, but still sounds pretty hammond-ish on some samples on the EH website. I am super-excited about MANY if not all the features of this unit... basically a crazy digital guitar synth that you operate more like a Moog or analog synth... I can't wait until I can afford one... if you want, send me yours when you get it and I will make demo recordings and let you know what all of my favorite settings and tricks are after I figure them out... I've been having fun imitating Steve Miller's keyboard player with the new (old) HR-2 that came the other day... a lot of fun- a crazy pedal (not quite as crazy as the HOG, tho)... more about the HR-2 in a thread after I've played with it more and recorded some...

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Im kind of confused though, is this just a more complex whammy made by EHX or where could i hear some samples? Ive been looking for a "weird" pedal for a while, and found this and the robotalk...

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

whammy is just one feature (two, actually: octave whammy and step whammy)... check the website, http://www.ehx.com there are some samples and it is THE crazy pedal that I want the most... and a Gig-FX chopper.. :)

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

is the clip titled "HOG angels" using just the HOG and a guitar???

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I believe so... if there is other gear on a demo clip it almost always notes it (especially on the manufacturer's website).. there are some clips on the E-H website that list other E-H effects combined with the one being demoed in the clip... Obviously there is an amp of some sort, but I'd imagine that all of that is from the HOG... you can "hold" chords/notes and play on top of them- how cool is that???

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

thats really cool, but, I still dont believe that whoevers playing that is getting that sound from just the HOG, it doenst sound like a guitar...

10. jbro

jbro Member

I just got one today. I was planning on recording a few clips and posting my impression of this pedal over the next few days.

11. jbro

jbro Member

Definately a guitar and the HOG.. just doing some volume swells into a delay and using the attack envelopes for the harmonics.

12. jbro

jbro Member

Anyone know a good place to host mp3's so I can post some clips?

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

14. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Well I was really damn close to buying one about an hour ago, then decided to go with the Fulltone TTE...:D Ill get a HOG another day...:) look forward to the clips.

15. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

:eek::NUTS:drool:roll:messedup

Dude ... the clips are like bowing my mind.

Seriously that thingmight have potential... quike go buy one and tell us how cool it is so we can all go buy one .... then I'll get one cheap on the bay in 3 months... er ...I mean I 'll go buy one too! Right away!

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

My Boss PS-5 is my "crazy" pedal, and I'm lovin it. Cheapest pitch-shifter out there, and does the whammy stuff better than Digitech :dude

17. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

18. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Perhaps you're already in the know, but Steve Miller's keyboard player Joseph Wooten is a regular gigger with his brothers in Nashville every Wednesday.

19. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I know that, but he wasn't the guy who played on "Fly Like An Eagle".... I'm sure he can do it, though.... I've seen the Wooten show a few times, always fun.

The HR-2 lets me move two notes in an electronic synth kind of way when I move the harmonies around the tonic note simultaneously... reminds me of that keyboard part...

Wootens are all insanely awesome and awesomely insane... I had a recording teacher who is one of their engineers... one day in class he said he had recently found out that after years of working with them, he lived about 2 houses away from Future Man and they started hanging out more and programmed a keyboard's notes to the atomic weights of elements from the Periodic Table and made music for planetariums... all this without drugs... wow. At least that's Victor and Future Man... Joseph might hang out with Steve Miller a little too much to avoid that... (heh heh).