1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Exhibit A vs. Exhibit B

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NatDeroxL7, Jan 6, 2008.

To Be or Not To Be?

1. Exhibit A

2. Exhibit B

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

So perhaps the initial emotional shock of the ME discontinuation has subsided. However it has gotten me to rethink way in which I might reconfigure my current gear stock to something that is more my taste now, since what I currently have is good in all respects but my tastes have changed. Mostly I am thinking of reduction of my amp rig, and the 'amplification' of my guitar stash.

I am a sucker for two things, highly figured tops (not only on guitars ;)), and anything rare/scarce. This often gets me in trouble tonewise....and otherwise....

Tonewise I am a sucker for Les Pauls every day of the week

As you can see, the current ME ordeal pits my weak spots against each other.

But enough talk, lets get to the juicy part.

Exhibit A:

[​IMG]

OR

Exhibit B?

[​IMG]

I really can't decide!!!!!!

2. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

B because the figure on the neck of the PRS looks like sapwood with a knot in the heel area. The contrast between the dark neck and the pale back is unpleasant. The mixture of gold bridge different gold knobs and different luster tuner buttons is a mess with white pu rings and silver covers. Am I correct that the body of the tuners is silver? I do not understand the choices that PRS makes. The Les Paul you have the image of is the most perfect one I have ever seen, It makes me think it has been photo chopped.

rob

3. phretbored

phretbored Member

Buy the ME it is killer...actually I might get it!
    You can get a Les Paul anytime...they are beyond plentiful.

4. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

B
    As you said your're a sucker for LP's tonewise.
    The A option might just be a pretty picture to you.

5. Joe324

Joe324 Member

Stick a pickguard and a tone swith tip and I'd kill for a lp like that.:)

There's something about that prs that doesnt look right, :confused:

Just my thoughts.

6. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

The PRS looks like my brother's old guitar. . .did absolutely nothing for me, although it is quite the looker. :jo

Go with the Les Paul. It's a no brainer. :dude

7. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

B of course...without any hesitation. Birds on a neck may as well be bird S%#& on a neck.

8. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I'm not big on pretty tops...but I'll take an LP every time...so B,

9. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Both pics are directly from a dealer website of guitars that are currently FS. I tried to avoid putting links up because I would hate for someone to steal my purchase :eek:

Of course that isn't to say that dealers wont photoshop or otherwise enhance their images....

10. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

First of all not really fair to compare blue and more traditionally colored guitars... Other than sonic or daphne, blue has no place on a guitar for many of us...

However, I've always been intrigued with the solid rosewood neck. If we're talking about a high quality rosewood necked discontinued guitar against an equal quality les paul for the same price? If it wasn't blue, I'd go for the rare bird...

11. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

That is interesting; being younger, it never occurred to me that there is any kind of differentiation between traditional colors and modern colors, I just thought a color was a color and if you like it, you like it, and if you dont, you dont!

12. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I have never played a PRS guitar that i walked away saying.... man that guitar plays better than my lesters...

13. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

I wanted to add that I did not think the dealer had photo chopped the guitar, I think it is one of the most perfect lesters i have seen. I mean look at how the jack plate plastic sits flat and the tint on the binding is perfect throughout. I am with those on the blue stain being a new finish choice. It strikes me as similar to food, you dont eat blue food. I know it is a bit primordial but that is what guitars speak to. Back to the heel of the neck, It looks like sapwood. This is not a feature I would want in anything I own, as a cabinet maker my customers would be all over me if I tried to pass this off. Now I know that rosewood's are becoming more difficult to find but I would not accept a neck that looked like this.

14. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Yeah, the neck on that ME is definitely not really what I am looking for, I am a fan of dark, straight, consistent grain. Willcutts had a great ME that I was looking at but the website is down or something, so I wasn't able to post a pic of it.

The LP is, as far as one can tell without playing it, probably a good one and the one I would probably buy unless I found something local that was really outstanding. The one I have posted is a comfortable 8.22lbs, non weight relieved, non chambered. :) damn! now ive given too much info, someone might take it!

15. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

Nice LP, reminds me of one of mine, love this one

[​IMG]mine

compairing apples to oranges, when you post these threads

all the PRS guys will say get the ME, all the LP guys say they hate PRS and get the LP.

I say get them all

[​IMG]

or just load up on brazilian necks

[​IMG]

16. Joe324

Joe324 Member

I know its an Epiphone but this is actually one of my favourite Les Paul colours.

[​IMG]

As is the new robot guitar. I just really like blue LP's.

17. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

No doubt that the Modern Eagle is pretty but that Les Paul is absolutely gorgeous!

18. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Oh...and just so ya know...if one was to right click on the photos, then check properties...they'd know where they are.:D

19. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

even worse, like me if you have bought enough, you recognize how dealers take pics of their stock, so you don't even have to check the properties.

some can really take great pics, some are LOUSY

20. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I'm a Tele guy but if it were my choice I'd take the LP in a heart beat.

I don't care for trans blue but even if that PRS was a different color the neck looks funky. There's also way too much contrast on it between the top, neck and back.

I've seen some beautiful PRS's but that certainly isn't one of them.