Exotic effects boosters

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wichita, Jul 21, 2006.

1. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I am currently trying out all three of these great pedals. The RC, the AC, and the BB booster. All three have astounded me. The BB reminds me of the Eternity I had but I actually like it better. The AC is an awesome clean boost, and the RC has more gain and a very unique voice. Great pedals.

2. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Senior Member

Think you mixed the AC and RC up!!The RC is a very low gain clean boost/enhancer\'I drive an OCD with it and couldnt be happier.

3. jbird327

jbird327 Member

On my practice board I have been using a BB as my main OD, followed by the RC for boost. I also drive the BB with an OCD for some leads. I just sent my RC in for a switch replacement - hope to get it back soon.

4. Sid

Sid Member

can all three do clean boost???

which has the most and least compression...

hows the eq??

5. dave s

dave s Member

Best thing about the RC and AC boost pedals is the ability to roll back the guitar volume and retain the original guitar tone. Have both AC and RC on my board running into a Matchless Clubman and a VOX AC30CC2. Great pedal fit for the amps.

dave

6. Tomo

Tomo Member

I love all three as well. Put RC booster before AC & BB.

Check this.

http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/chrome_copper/index.html

BB does good clean boost too. Set gain lower.

Tomo

7. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

I'll say it with you grtwrks, "I love the BB Preamp", also! It ended a OD search for me. (For now at least!) Can't get a bad sound out of it.

I'm going to pick up an RC one of these days also. Tried it out a few times on my journey to the BB. (Had it confused with the AC. The differences became really clear when I tried them!) It wasn't what I was looking for at the time, but I sure thought it was cool & haven't been able to get it out of my head since!

The chrome & copper models look awesome, but I think I'll save the extra ching & go with the stock versions. Sure are purty though, hmm...

8. Tinman

Tinman Member

I just picked up an RC Booster off the emporium. Tried it last night. I'm putting it after my compressor and before my OD pedals for now. Not really using it for boost, as I currently have it set for unity volume. I'm going to use it more for adding some sparkle to some of my darker sounding guitars. It does that extremely well just by turning the RC's treble control to one o'clock. Sounds much better than turning up the Treble knob on the amp. I think I might run it whenever the comp is on because to my ears my Keeley comp chops off some of the good high end stuff.

9. Keld

Keld Supporting Member

I've been very happy with my bbpreamp to date. Natural (as in enhances the existing tone) sounding and pushes the amp in the right way.

10. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

The RC has been the most versatile and overall best clean boost for my rig having owned a TC Booster line driver, a Fulltone Fatboost and a Durham Sexdrive.

I also loved the Sexdrive but somehow in combination with the more characterful overdrives on my board the unhyped nature of the RC just worked the best.

As I also use the RC as a boost for my J45 on acoustic duo gigs where I don't have to take my pedalboard, I could almost justify buying one of those swanky chrome ones as well!

11. Sid

Sid Member

from my understanding allen hinds uses the AC booster right??

12. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

Tomo,

Do you use the Xotic boosters alongside the Klon you are
    using on your video (which I am really enjoying- thank you!!!)
    If so, how?

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

still use my Klon time to time.... I always use my RC booster...
    then I have my CJOD.... and I plug a few pedals after that....
    but I haven't use my klon lately. My RC booster does all clean boost when I need...
    especially when I do my slap guitar thing.

You saw my AYGP video? Thank you for watching.
    Listen this track. It's the Klon #16.
    OJ & Water

Suhr strat BB preamp

Tomo

14. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I've been using my RC booster at the END of the chain, right before the Vibrolux.
    I'm keeping it on all the time, either as a clean enhanced boost, or sometimes even cut the gain a little to reduce the input, so I can keep the VL up to at least 3-4.

Before that on my chain I have a COT50 (also usually on) and a Timmy (for gain). The RC at the end seems to allow me that last tonal adjustment before the amp, and can take the edge off of using the COT50 straight.
    A simple setup that's tuned into the guitar's volume pot.

I'm gonna try to get that slap guitar thing going Tomo, I'm still working my way through the end of section 3 of the DVD...:AOK