exotic sp compressor

seanvox

Have decided to take the plunge and go for this comp after hearing all these good reviews, it's expensive for me so i wanna make sure it's for me,ive usually made do with mrx or boss budget comps,am i gonna be pleased, also i need that room on my board badly ,cheers for any info good or bad .

NielsM

I think you will be. I really love my SP. For me it's an always on pedal, but subtle.
Externally you already have lots of options and the fantastic blend knob. But internally you also can change the attack and release.

I don't think I will ever need an other compressor.

ddhr

I have not tried the Boss, but own a dyna comp. I really like the Xotic. The blend feature is great (plenty of compressors have that), but what I really like is the Hi Lo Mid switch. I can go from mild to squash quickly and easily. Like NielsM, my compressor search is over (famous last words!).

tubekingsley

I'm not a fan of SP, but you might dig it, many do. I didn't like how it sounded in a compressor shootout I did, but in all fairness, the SP was the least expensive pedal in shootout. Sounds like you only have room for a mini, so Mooer Yellow is on the table- but I've never tested the mooer. Mad Professor Forest Green and Wampler Ego "used" for about $100 sound much better than SP to my ear. But, if you need a mini... I do like the SP in some you tube demos, but not hands on. I think you can dial in a sweet spot in the lower setting, but I don't like it in the heavier setting. It's been a while since I owned one. Don't let me totally discourage you, but I never considered keeping it. But I owned like 5 compressors at the time...

Last edited:

Jo-Jo Beans

All I'll say is I think you should very seriously consider the Mooer Yellow Comp.
Definitely subscribing to this thread. I literally yesterday bought an Xotic SP and a Mooer Yellow Comp to A/B side by side.

I had an MXR Super Comp for a grand total of a day before deciding that compressors just weren't for me, but now several months down the line I figured it was time to give them another shot. Will report back when they show up. I'm kinda actually really excited for the Yellow Comp and the low-noise smooth-transient optical compression. We'll see.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Definitely subscribing to this thread. I literally yesterday bought an Xotic SP and a Mooer Yellow Comp to A/B side by side.

...I'm kinda actually really excited for the Yellow Comp and the low-noise smooth-transient optical compression. We'll see.
I really like my SP, only use it in Lo mode with lots of clean blend. But I'm also curious about the Yellow Comp and opticals in general...

CEFlint

The SP and Yellow Comp are different styled compressors.

The SP is great with plenty of squish and sustain. The 3 position switch makes it extremely versatile MXR/Ross style compressor. Can be a little noisy if compression is set to Mid or Hi. Otherwise I think it's a great choice.

The Yellow Comp is an optical compressor which doesn't do the squishy or "chicken picking" thing as well. What it does is fatten and enhance up your tone without coloring. Nice pure sustains. Works great as a clean boost, too. Also, it's the quietest compressor I've ever used.

I've had both. I'm using the YC much more these days.

Funky Chicken

Silver Supporting Member
The SP can be a bit noisy but it is very flexible. It is an "always on" pedal in my single coil pedal chain. I also like the tiny footprint, and it is very solidly built.

Jo-Jo Beans

The SP and Yellow Comp are different styled compressors.
Yeah, I know they're fundamentally different. That's why I bought both of them - I want to find a style of compressor that I like that I can use for "always on". I may have bought into the hype of the SP compressor, but I think I'm most excited for the super quiet optical compression of the Yellow Comp. I'm really picky about noise floor in my rig, and part of the reason I ditched the compressors before was because the noise was unacceptable to me. But I'm looking for something that'll let my sustained notes ring out longer and smoother. Not looking for squashy or chicken pickin' stuff. So I'm thinking with the clean blend knob up on the SP I can achieve that, or with the Yellow Comp. We'll see. Sorry to hijack thread, OP ;)

Trending Topics