Exp and Vol Pedal with Amplifire

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JammyDodger, Mar 1, 2015.

1. JammyDodger

JammyDodger Silver Supporting Member

Hey All,

I am looking forward to receiving my Amplifire this week. I have spent a bit of time reading the manual. I want to run an expression and a volume pedal from the box. The manual says:

AmpliFire supports up to two standard expression pedals to allow real-time control of parameters using foot pedals. To enable this feature, you will need a special adapter cable to connect your expression pedals to AmpliFire.
    This adapter is available through Atomic Amps, or you can build your own with standard ¼” adapters. Alternatively, you might want to assemble your own.

Has anyone used this cable or made their own yet? I am a bit confused about the connections. Has anyone made a drawing?

Cheers, Mike

2. randombastage

randombastage Member

Not sure on how that adapter will be configured...but...while you wait for an answer here is some food for thought. If you have another pedal that accepts an expression pedal, and can send midi...you can do it that way for one of the pedals at least and then use a standard cable to run one expression pedal into the AmpliFires jack.

I plan to use the Eventide H9 since it can receive a standard expression pedal input and it can be assigned to the H9's midi out port to transmit cc changes on a standard midi cable...which I will plug into the AmpliFire to send expression pedal data to it.

iam_krash likes this.
  3. Atomic Amps

Atomic Amps Member

The custom cable is not available from Atomic yet. We're working on it now and hope to have something by the end of the month or early April.

In the mean time there are some off-the-shelf solutions to help get you by. To set up one expression pedal, you'll need a stereo breakout cable (1/4" in TRSF to Dual 1/4" in TS). Ring goes to the Send jack and Tip goes to R (Loop Param A) or L (Loop Param B) return. You'll need another stereo breakout cable and a Y splitter into the sent to get the second pedal running.

If you google "Hosa YPP-136 Single Stereo 1/4" TRS Female to Dual Mono 1/4" TS Y Breakout Cable" you'll get the one I've been using in the interim.

We know that this is a little klugy but we just added this functionality a couple of weeks ago based on user feedback. We are listening.:)

The other solution that has already been mentioned would be to use a MIDI pedal that has expression pedal jacks. This works great because you don't have to give up the loop if you want to use it.

-TK

4. RLD

RLD Member

Hmm...I think this may work for one exp pedal.
    Tip of red goes to ring of black and tip of grey goes to tip of black.
    Sleeves are connected.
    Red goes to send and grey to return.
    This is called an insert cable.
    [​IMG]

Timmy2tones likes this.
  5. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

Didn't he say the TRS would need to be female? I guess you could use this with a stereo 1/4" coupler

6. JammyDodger

JammyDodger Silver Supporting Member

I don't know why it would be female. Maybe a typo?

7. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

You run a single 1/4" TRS male to male cable to the Amplifire, then use the adapter next to your expression pedals.

Amplifier <--- long TRS cable -> <-adapter -> expression pedals

8. RLD

RLD Member

I don't think that is correct.
    TRS plug goes into the exp pedal and two cables come back into the Amplifire, one in the send one in the return.
    So the flow is from the Amplifire send to the pedal and back to the return.
    However I may be misunderstanding all this...ha ha
    I've have my Amplifire later today so I'll be trying it on the real thing.

9. RLD

RLD Member

Well I'm stumped.
    Got my Amplifire late last night...had a rehearsal so I had to wait till this morning to mess with it.
    Good news is it sounds great.
    Bad...so far I cannot get an exp pedal to work as a volume pedal in the loop as described in the manual or a midi exp to control volume via cc#22.
    Weird thing is I can control other things via the loop and midi just not volume!
    If I set the exp pedal via the loop to control amp level it works, but I keep getting spontaneous re boots of the pedal.
    Unworkable for me so far.
    Hope others will chime in with their experience.

10. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Two things, have you tried setting your volume pedal to CC7 for volume? Even though the manual says volume should be CC22 - the rest of the midi world uses CC7 for volume. No guarantees this will solve your dilemma, but it's worth a try.

Also, I seem to remember Tom King mentioning something about an as yet un-specified system update procedure all of us early recipients will need to do in order to get certain MIDI functionality. Or something to that effect. Wondering if this may be part of the problem. Still, seems strange if you're able to get other things to work via MIDI. :dunno

11. RLD

RLD Member

I tried it on #7.
    Thing is if I set the midi exp to any other parameters mentioned in the manual it works for those cc#...just not volume.
    The spontaneous reboots is really weird.
    Tried another power supply like mentioned in the manual...still reboots randomly when using the exp pedal in the loop.
    Exp pedal work flawlessly in my Kemper.
    Don't remember about an update for midi...seems they would let us know if something is not ready for prime time.

12. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

isn't there a firmware update you need that will allow this to work? Or was that for something else?

I cannot remember..

13. RLD

RLD Member

I've sent an email to support at Atomic describing this and asking if there is an update to make it work.

14. RLD

RLD Member

Got a call from Tom.
    Apparently I do need a system upgrade to get the midi volume to work right.
    Still experimenting with the exp pedal as volume in the loop/expression mode.
    Seems to be working now with no re-boots...though I've changed so many parameters I don't know which made it work.

15. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Did he happen to mention when we'll be able to get our hands on this system upgrade? Also, I remember he said this upgrade is simple, but has to be done on a PC & can't be done on Mac. :(

16. RLD

RLD Member

He's going to send it to me.
    Not everyone needs it just the people with system V.1...not firmware.
    Unfortunately after I did my last post I had about 10 reboots.
    I thinking it maybe some sort of grounding or static problem.
    Seems when I move my foot to the pedal is when most of the reboots happen.
    I'm going to isolate the Amplifire and see it that cures it.

17. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Hmm. I just tried to replicate this here with my Mission SP-1 and a cheap Hosa cable. Nothing amiss. Works as expected; no reboots at all.

18. RLD

RLD Member

Thanks Scott,
    Tom has been in touch with me and we're trying to work this out.
    The new system upgrade seems to have fixed the midi issue, but the re-boots are still happening with the controller into the loop.

19. randombastage

randombastage Member

What firmware version are you on? I'm having some weird stuff going on with putting the Hosa cable in the loop...have to reboot the AmpliFire sometimes to get it to respond to any changes...

20. RLD

RLD Member

When you boot up Amplifire there are two screens.
    First is System...that's the one that needed to go from 1 to 1.02
    Firmware is still 1.0 so everybody has it.