Expanding my Aguilar Rig

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by DCFanatic, Feb 19, 2012.

1. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

Dear knowledgeable TGPers...

Looking for some advice here.

Currently I am running a 1990 Fender USA Jazz into an Aguilar AG500SC and Aguilar DB112.

I'm very happy with my tone but I find once I get into a room with a drummer and a guitarist I am pushing the limits of my amp and cab - and it doesn't feel like we're playing that loud... but being an artilleryman I am pretty hearing insensitive.

I want to switch up my cab setup so I don't feel like I am pushing my headroom.

I have two options here the way I see it, I can try and sell my DB112 and grab a 4 x 10" cabinet ( a four ohm cabinet if I can find one ) or just grab a second DB112. The second DB112 would let me run at the full 500 watts at 4 ohms and give me a little more speaker surface to play with. But I'm not sure if that would be enough. I used to run a Yorkville B400 with a 2x10 and 1x15 and that was plenty loud.

Do you guys think that adding another 12 is going to give me enough oomph I need to play with a 3 or 4 piece band in small gigs or should I go for a 4x10 setup?

(the guitarist in the band is playing through a Fender Deville 4x10)

Thanks for the advice!

2. Thor

Thor Member

I would personally go with the 4x10 cab.

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Really... There's probably something else you could do... Raise the cab closer to ear level and adjust your EQ to a more mid prominent sound.

If your cab is on the ground, it's blowing at your knees and you don't hear it.

If you're using a more "scooped" sound, even though you're pushing 500w through a 1x12 and 4x10, you're still going to have trouble hearing yourself- your lows get lost in the drums and the highs get lost in the guitars, cymbals and keys... So then you end up sounding like Fieldy if you're heard at all.

And FWIW, I did a year in a 4.2" mortar section, 2 years in an 81mm section and a year in a 60mm section. I know that "boom" thing. :D

4. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

+1 to aiming cab at head. And tell the guitars to turn the **** down ;)

5. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

Nice! What unit did you serve with?

I tend to keep my EQ dead flat. I'll try kicking the cab back or raising the speaker at our next rehearsal.

Thanks all for the advice!

6. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

3rd Armored Cavalry
    1/508 (ABN) 193rd INF BDE (Light)
    and 3/505 (ABN) 82nd ABN Div.

I also ended up in an artillery unit when I went into the Army Reserve. It sorta doesn't count- I don't think we ever live fired the big guns. It was a Basic Training Drill Sergeant unit that was supposed to provide support for basic training at Ft. Sill. It is interesting about the differences in fire control between mortars and artillery.

Try the EQ thing- do it while you're playing- it's going to be a sound you won't like on its own. I dislike that middy/burpy Flea tone- but it totally stands out in the mix. The trick is to get a tone that is audible in the mix and tweak that to a good mix tone.

Someday, when I'm a big kid- I'm going to get an Aguilar!

7. Thor

Thor Member

All you have to do is retube your Mesa 400+ ;)

Oh and since you spent so much time around loud weapons, I should rember to speak up
    ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS RETUBE YOUR MESA 400+ ;)

Great idea about adjusting the height of the cab. Question though - is your main problem that you can't hear yourself, or are you lost in the mix in general? Position can greatly enhance your stage mix, but are you also going direct to the PA, or are you depending on your cab to fill the room?

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

It's not "all I have to do." I have to mount the output transformer too...

I really should get to putting some money aside for tubes for that guy...

9. Wag

Wag Member

Build a fEARful cab and you can bury your guitar player... AND the drummer! (no tubes necessary)

http://greenboy.us/fEARful/

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  10. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

Its not that I can't hear myself per se... its that when I turn my amp up to the desired volume we are playing at I start getting into some clipping and solid state style over drive. I think what I need is just some more headroom, with a 500 watt head I think I am good on that end.

11. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

Very cool - Mortars can be fun unless you're dismounted! :bonk

I'm with 2 RCHA up here in Canada, was with an M777 Battery and now am a forward observer (I think you guys call them Fisters - the guys that call in the arty for the Infantry)

12. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

This. You can buy a precut kit and the drivers and crossovers and save yourself some bucks. The fEARful 15/6/1 (a 15" speaker, a 6.5" mids speaker and a tweeter) will have excellent dispersion throughout the frequency range. At 8 ohms, it's probably not going to get the most out of your Aguilar, but if you couple it with the 12" cabinet you have now, you'll be pushing 500W through the pair of them. I think right now you're only getting about 250W through your current cab.

13. Rick N Boogie

Rick N Boogie Member

If you really like the sound of the DB112, (and why not, they're great sounding cabs), a 2nd one would provide approx a 6dB increase due to doubling the drivers and the increased power. It would also bring one cab closer to ear level, so total win. It's the best solution, imo.

14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1

this is the quickest way to increase headroom and get the rig up a little higher. you also get the flexibility of using one cab for little gigs and two for bigger ones.

the key is a second identical cab, so there's no phase anomalies or volume imbalance between them.

also, stack them vertically (so taller than wider) to improve monitoring and dispersion that much more.

15. m1911

m1911 Member

The Aguilar GS-4x10 Cabinet is a GREAT Cabinet....all by itself....
    It's funny....I spend some time over at the "Talk-Bass-Forum" and a LOT of guys like TWO GS-1x12 Cabinets....
    I have a GS-2x12 and a 2x10.....but I WILL add either another 2x12 Cabinet, OR simply go for the Aguilar GS-4x12 Cabinet in 4 Ohms...
    I really think it's the END-ALL Bass Cab....but "May" get the 2x12 instead....we'll see...

Here is what I have:

[​IMG]

Here is what I want:

[​IMG]

16. erokit

erokit Member

Reducing the impedance to 4 ohms with any other 8 ohm cab will increase the volume output, and give you back some headroom. Typical 4x10's are 4 ohms.

Adding 2x10 8 ohm cab to the 12" will provide more volume due to more air being moved by the increased speaker surface area vs another 12". That being said, an identical 12" is going to stack nicely.

17. JoeFrancis

JoeFrancis Member

I would just grab a DB112NT and call it a day

18. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Yuppers.

19. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

Thanks for all the suggestion guys! I was really close to grabbing a used Mesa 4x10, but was able to find a matching DB112 in the colour I wanted used.

Sounds fat as hell - love it.

Pics!

[​IMG]

20. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

matching bass cabs FTW!