• Please use the following thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

Expanding my Funk Library

JayLock

I've always had a passion for Funk, but don't really have a decent amount of it in my music collection. Any suggestions on some artists?

rob2001

I love me some Funk as well! Yet I don't know that many great funk bands so i'll just throw out a few that I know and bump the thread for hopefully more suggestions.....

Ohio Players
P-Funk
Rick James had some pretty funky stuff

This might not be traditional funk but the early Red Hot Chili Peppers are very funky...I believe George Clinton helped them with one of their early records. (Mothers Milk and/or Blood Sugar Sex Magic.)

And of coarse, James Brown!

Stike

This might not be traditional funk but the early Red Hot Chili Peppers are very funky...I believe George Clinton helped them with one of their early records. (Mothers Milk and/or Blood Sugar Sex Magic.)
Rick Rubin produced BSSM, not sure about MM but I don't think it was GC. George was on board for one of the pre Fruscante albums, not sure which one though but they are worth a listen.

Don't forget Nile Rodgers/Chic.

ocripes

Supporting Member
Check out Betty Davis, one of Miles' wives. She did some nasty early 70's funk. I think a young Neal Schon played guitra w/her.

rob2001

Rick Rubin produced BSSM, not sure about MM but I don't think it was GC. George was on board for one of the pre Fruscante albums, not sure which one though but they are worth a listen.

Don't forget Nile Rodgers/Chic.

You are probably more correct that I...thanks for the clarification. :AOK

Some specific releases:

P-Funk Allstars Live at the Beverley Hotel
The James Brown funk 2-disc set... I forget the name of it
Love Power Peace - Live James Brown

PUCKBOY99

Silver Supporting Member
Check out some early Kool & The Gang ala Jungle Boogie.

It wasn't always a Celebration-kinda band :AOK

Trending Topics