Expensive gear you swear by

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jomama2, Jan 1, 2018.

1. jomama2

jomama2 Member

The other side of the coin...what stuff have you bought which cost a pretty penny but has proven to be worth every cent?

PS: not including computers. :) And please, say what the thing is (a mic, an amp, whatever).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

3. xcc

xcc Member

MacBook Pro 15” is probably the most expensive piece in my studio. Wouldn’t cheap out in that area

4. p19978

p19978 Supporting Member

QSC Touchmix16

mro87 likes this.
  5. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

I have never regretted buying a really good Neumann mic when I first transitioned from a basement studio to a professional one back in '87. That TLM170 is still with me today.

jens5 and superpotato_30 like this.
  6. denmalley

denmalley Supporting Member

The boomerang III - totally changed my looping game.

I'll qualify by saying I got it sub $500 which was a steal in my book, but still a bit on the higher end of current looper prices on the market. But I've gotten my payback in spades on the inspiration/ease of playing front.

spiral likes this.
  7. the tourist

the tourist Member

Maxed out MacBook Pro.
    UAD Apollo Twin Quad.

8. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Rivera Shaman pedals
    Damage Control pedals
    Mesa amps
    Rivera amps

9. Simto

Simto Member

Not sure if it's too soon to swear by it, but I recently upgraded my bass recording gear. I got a Darkglass B7K and Super Symmetry.
    I've been wanting to get them for years, but they've always been very pricy, so I've been holding off on them.
    **** they sound good! I run the two pedals direct into my soundcard, so I'm using the B7K as my pseudo amp and then using cab IR's in pro tools to sort of "finish" the sound.
    Makes me so happy when things finally sound how I'd like them to sound.

10. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

The Trident Trimix desk was pricey for me at the time, but turned out to be a good deal and brings the rock mojo to tracks/mixes.
    The little Audient console/control surface was around the same cost but is the functional center of my workflow for monitor control, cue & talkback, DAW control, analog automation & bus summing.
    The MacBook Pro and MOTU 16A were not too expensive in comparison but are the third generation of Mac/interface combos I've used with the consoles. Adding up the cost of those Macs & interfaces, I'd say the consoles are the gear I'd swear by while the DAWs were basically rentals.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  11. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Two-Notes Torpedo Studio. Absolutely fantastic unit. Sounds amazing in stereo with two IRs panned hard l and r. Love using it live (FOH), practicing at night and for recording silently.

The other piece that I am always using is my Apogee Element 88 + remote. This is the best interface I have owned yet. Super intuitive and works perfectly. Great sound from it as well.

12. nsureit

nsureit Member

Trident 80B two channel preamp (modern rack mount reissue). Deadliest weapon in my recording set up. Simply the quietest, most discrete mic preamp I’ve ever owned. Although barely enough gain for a Royer or Beyerdynamic ribbon, it makes for a professional recording environment when paired with high quality microphones. It is expensive, but brilliant kit.

[​IMG]