Expensive Telecasters

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AA864, Feb 5, 2015.

1. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

Expensive Telecasters - as in > $1000. more like $1200-$1500 used range.

I just took forever to sell a Fender American Deluxe (Aged Chery SB, S1 switching, noiseless pups, all blinged out) on CL. No bites here or on Reverb. I sold via CL F2F and only lost about $80 from what i paid in 2012. So I'm happy with the outcome

But damn, it took forever and I'm thinking it's hard to re-sell a Tele over $750-$800. Or maybe this run of the mill Am Dlx is just a dime a dozen over priced Tele.

I was considering putting the money into another Tele I want, a '62 double bound with a RW board, but I'm reluctant to have another uber-tele that takes a year to re-sell (if needed).

I have no issues with price/quality. Heck I bought a DGT a few months ago, so I like nice, expensive guitars and I'm willing to pay for them.

What say you? is the market just slow all around or are sub $1k American Tele's strong competition to the higher priced models.

Let's keep this discussion towards actual Fender branded Tele's. I have no problem with Suhr, Anderson, Kirn, etc. but they are just kind of in a whole other place.

2. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

AVRI '52 buys and sells all day for $1k or just over. I sold mine in 30 minutes on Craigslist (and wish I hadn't -- miss that guitar).

I think that's true for most of the American Vintage models? I'm not sure the American Deluxe model is a great benchmark - many didn't necessarily want the features creating an upcharge over the Standard.

3. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Market is slow, but you can sell anything today if your asking price works for buyers. If you can wait a year to get top $ for your guitar, that's great

4. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

True, the American Deluxe may be an odd example and explain the longer resale time.

Those must be the ones most sellers ask $1400-1500 for, and balk when you offer them $1K.

This one, for example, seems a bit over priced and has been FS for months in Denver.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/4865053581.html

5. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

Yes, I can. I don't really ever sell gear because I have to, or needs funds. And I don't like taking huge losses when my gear is priced at market value (per reverb or ebay recent sales, not my imagination) to begin with. I'll usually ride it out and find a buyer that's willing to pay near my ask.

6. 335guy

335guy Member

I think in part, since tele's come in so many flavors, it's like there too many choices, and only so many buyers. But I think the same argument could be given for Les Pauls as well. There are just a ton of those guitars on the used guitar market.

Then consider all the potential tele buyers choosing to build their own partscasters instead of paying $$ for a production model. Now, I like that Am. Dlx. Tele, but the competition for $1,000.00 + guitars is stiff. And you're right, cheap stuff sells much faster. My Les Paul languished on CL and here on the Emporium for months ( even though it as priced at the bottom of the market ). It sold within a week on Ebay. But other cheaper things that I've sold ( guitar parts, pedals, cheap under $300 guitars), sold pretty fast.

So, in your case, it's a combination of lots of factors. Stiff competition, buyers wanting deals, huge used guitar inventory, uncertain economy, moderately expensive guitar, etc.

I'm sensing that when a used music product get's in the higher price range, buyers often want a steeper price cut from new to get the item sold. It becomes more difficult to get close to what the seller has into it.

Me personally, I don't buy guitars that I'm not planning on keeping ( unless it's a fantastic deal and I could easily flip it for a profit ). I get what I want, and don't worry about it's resale value.

I do think the Tele market is strong for double bound bodies, and I don't see many true Fender '62's up for sale often. So you would have a more "rare" guitar that might appeal to many tele buyers should you decide to sell. My only gripe with a Fender '62 is the 7.25 radius fretboard. I know it can be changed, but then it becomes a partscaster. These are also no longer available new, unless you get a Wildwood reliced custom '62. But it's not exactly the same as Fenders orig. '62, and it is over $3000, or a MIJ model. So that leaves you looking in the used guitar market. There's the Squire CV Custom that is pretty cheap and has gotten many good reviews, so that kinda drags down the value of Corona built '62's.

Since I'm kinda cheap, I'd probably buy a used Squire CV custom over an expensive Corona built '62. But that's me.

7. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

8. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

9. nightbird

nightbird Member

You said your tele was all blinged out. Are those mods you did or was it stock? You'll generally find a lot of players change pu's, electronics, pickguards, tuners, etc.. to their liking but not to the next person. I personally don't want someones idea of an 'upgraded' guitar and want me to pay what they put into it.

10. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

Stock, one of these.... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleADMACH

Sells all day long, new for $1700 at GC, SW, MF. bought mine used for $1275, sold for $$1195. so $80 is not a bad rental price. I'm good, but it took a while. Didn't want to give it away for $1k.

11. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

Generally, I do the same. In this case, I stepped out of my comfort zone a biit with the Am Dlx, was up to three Teles, and played the others more. Am Dlx sat unused. My tipping point was when I bought an AVRI Tele Custom, that one gets all my attention.... until I rebuilt a 1970 (neck & pups) into a blonde beauty.... again, the Am Dlx, got no love.

Here's my current two...

[​IMG]

as you can see, I clearly need a '62 Double Bound w/ RW board. :D

12. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I think a lot of people's perspective is that, unlike Gibson guitars which are crafted more like furniture, Teles are basic utilitarian instruments and expensive ones don't necessarily sound better than cheaper ones. I only buy American-made guitars, but I know my American-made ones don't sound any better than MIM, MIJ, or MIK models just by the virtue of where they're made.

And I don't think the differences in components between high and low end Teles are enough to warrant the huge difference in price. My MIA Hwy 1 has the same alder body and maple neck as more expensive models, I like the thin finish better, and I put what I consider to be nicer pickups in it than any stock Tele has. I think I paid $450 for it 5 or 6 years ago and put maybe $200 in upgrades into it.

I guess I'm one of those people who would never pay more than about $800 for a Tele (or more than $1500 for a Les Paul for that matter). And I know a lot of guys who wouldn't pay more than $500 for one because they know that their MIM model will sound just as good in the right hands.

So I think that because of the wide availability of decent instruments at low prices, the market for those high end used Teles is pretty limited. Most people who will spend that kind of money will either buy a new one or a vintage one.

13. billybilly

billybilly Member

Personally, the tele is such a simple guitar, I'd just build my own from reputable part manufacturers. Paying over a grand for a tele that is not custom is just ludicrous, IMO. So, in saying, perhaps there are others like me who just wouldn't bother shelling out that much for a factory fender.

14. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

IMO the woods on teles and strats are by far not as scarce and expensive like on a gibson les paul. Plus build costs on a Les Paul are higher as well, I would imagine.

A tele is a simple guitar. Which is not to say it can't sound good, but considering costs and wood, it is MUCH cheaper to build than a genuine Les Paul. (honduras mahogany is so scarce now a days... not to mention good rosewood - madagascar or brazilian..).

15. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Gibson have always been on a level above Fender. Or at least they were intended to be.

16. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

I listed my '52 AVRI for $1000 -- it was in excellent shape; 6.5lbs, and stock except for upgraded compensated brass saddles. Further down, I think you answered your own question: had you listed your American Deluxe for $900 or $1000, I'm sure it would have sold much faster.

Besides, so much of local craigslist selling is area dependent -- the market in Northern Virginia, Nashville, LA, etc, is much different than...North Dakota.

Anyway, I think your thread had taken an odd direction because buyers that want a nice Telecaster or "T-style", to be more inclusive, understand the construction, and...want a nice Tele.

The guy that won't pay more than $600 for a 'screwed together guitar', or who builds his own partscasters that he prefers over FCS, will never be your market.

17. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

This-- I wouldn't pay $300 for a pair of Levis. To me it is just wrong to pay a mint for a Tele-- and my main guitar is a Tele- so I have nothing against them.

I believe the price where diminishing returns kicks in is quite low on this bolted-together slap of wood.

18. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I picked up a Mint '11 Fender 60th Annv. Blonde Tele w/OHSC for $500 at a pawnshop. I'm not really a Tele player, so I put it up for sale at $1100 on CL. NO bites or offers.

I then put it up as a Trade, and got offered a 1975 Fender Strat. I took the trade. The Tele was WAY better looking guitar, but they're a dime a dozen. I figured It would be a lot harder to get the '75 for what I paid for the Tele.

I've got 18 guitars on CL right now. I had most for sale, and didn't even get low ball offers. I now have 15 for trade and my 3 low-end guitars are for sale.

I'm pretty much putting them up there as "Bait". I'd like to see if I can flush out another good trade since no one's buying.

Since I don't HAVE to sell or trade, there's no rush. If no one buys or trades, then it's OK.

19. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

It's really not too hard to pick up one of these new for $1300 so it would be a hard sell for me at close to $1200. Although they do seem to sell pretty regularly on ebay for around $1100. As long as you get a good deal buying new they seem to remarkably hold their value pretty well.

20. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

If you want a 62 double bound, get a Japanese one and upgrade the electronics. They're a lot cheaper and easier to sell imo...and you don't lose anything on the build quality.