Experience w/a 5e3 in a stereo rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by weshunter, Jan 28, 2012.

1. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

I've got a tweaker on the way to pair with my 5e3 in a stereo rig -- I'm wondering what kinds of experiences people have with 5e3 stereo rigs. This will be my first experience with a stereo rig of any kind. My M13 provides the stereo-ness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

2. randombastage

randombastage Member

It's fun and sometimes more work than it's worth. One thing, dissimilar amps introduce quirks to the process, the 5E3 breaks up at a certain amount of volume and/or picking dynamic so if at anytime you are trying to keep a clean sound out of both amps the 5E3 will dictate the overall volume you are able to reach before distortion sets in. The Tweaker has master volume so it can be set to match the overall volume of the Tweed.

While you are at it try a wet/dry rig too. it can be cool. Send your effects and reverbs etc. only to one amp..or go wet/dry/wet if you have a third amp.

I run my Lazy J (a 5E3 type amp) with a Princeton Reverb as a stereo rig sometimes using a Strymon Timeline...and even put a 65 Amps Lil' Elvis in the middle of them for wet/dry/wet when I'm feeling the need for a wall of sound....let the Timeline capture a rhythm part in it's loop playing back through the Lazy J and Princeton Reverb then kick in the Lil' Elvis for lead. fun!

3. chillytc

chillytc Member

I used to own a Victoria 20112 (5e3) and a Divided by 13 SJT 10/20 (kind of a tweed/blackface Deluxe thing with Taccone sauce) at the same time and would occasionally run them as a stereo rig with my El Capistan delivering most of the stereo spread. That rig ranks high in my all time favorite rigs list - super touch sensitive and unbelievably enveloping sound field. Do it. Do it.

4. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

Ha ha -- exactly the kind of encouragement I was looking for

:)

I will def try the wet/dry thing too - the tweed amp would be great for dry an the tweaker has a good loop so it could be good for wet -- that does seem like a lot of setup though

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner