Experience with Mahogany Short Scale Strats? Which Pieces are Critical for Thicker LP Tone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by agiehler, Nov 5, 2019.

Which do you feel has the greatest effect on thicker tone with HH setup?

1. Scale length

28 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Body/neck woods

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Bridge type

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Neck attachment

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Other?

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. agiehler

agiehler Supporting Member

Anyone ever put together a mahogany body, mahogany/rosewood conversion scale neck, dual humbucker Strat style guitar to attempt Gibson/PRS tones? Did it work out?

I know a standard construction HH Strat will still sound like a Strat. Do you need a set neck and TOM bridge to get away from the spanky Strat tone? I realize that every piece of the puzzle will get closer to an LP/PRS, but they can't all be equal in importance, so how far must you go before the returns are diminished.

I've played TOM equipped Fenders that still sound like Fenders (Classic Player Jazzmaster) and trem equipped PRS that still sound thick (DGT, Cu24), so I'm trying to figure out which pieces have the greatest effect on tone.

"Will never be an LP, don't even bother, blah blah blah" There I've already said it. :)

2. stonem

stonem Member

Scale length is 99 percent of it.

3. agiehler

I tend to agree. So you think a standard Strat with two PAFs and conversion neck will be satisfying enough? Interesting.

stonem likes this.
  4. stonem

stonem Member

I would say so. I had Kramer nightswan that did a nice lp impression when I needed it to.

5. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Put together an alder body, 24.75 maple neck, wire it up w/ 4 controls 50s style and a pair of good PAFs and you’re there. Shoot, make it Korina and Pau Ferro with some Wenge inlays if you want. Magnets won’t know the difference.

Now, to be 100, 24.75 conversion necks aren’t *exactly* like a Gibson, but close enough to have A LOT of fun.

agiehler likes this.
  6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

7. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

I’m gonna be that guy and say that the best you’re going to get is a rough approximation.

Like everything that folks seem to love and identify as that LP tone can’t be achieved from a bolt on slab guitar not to mention a TOM bridge. I don’t care to argue about it either. There are multitudes of threads on LP tones and how even set neck guitars with different specs or construction don’t quite achieve the tone.

YMMV has never been more true.

8len8, Roark, Adagietto and 1 other person like this.
  8. Multi Angle Vise

Multi Angle Vise Member

I don't know the answer to the original question. But I doubt that scale length is 99%. Or that an alder body maple neck HH will do it. I have an alder body maple neck 24.75" bolt on with humbuckers and a trem. It's not an LP. (I like it more than an LP.)

Adagietto and NamaEnsou like this.
  9. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

My guess is you are a “Fender Player,” as in you bond with Fender style guitars and not Gibsons.

I’d say take a good six months and search for a Les Paul style that feels good in your hands - it might take trying literally a hundred guitars.

The short scale conversion Neck is an easy enough option, I just don’t think you should invest a lot of $$ into a partscaster when the outcome is still a gamble.

Good luck whatever you decide, and please let us know how it worked out.

agiehler and NamaEnsou like this.
  10. jalmer

jalmer Member

Thinking it won't have that low Les Paul growl that, in my quite limited experience, I've only heard with a Les Paul type.

chumbucket likes this.
  11. Jett

Jett Member

This is an all mahogany short scale warmoth tele that I put together. Currently it has custom shop Duncan's strat in a humbucker pickups in it, but I had dropped humbuckers in it at one time and got convincing LP style tones out of it. I would assume you could do the same with a strat body.
    [​IMG]

12. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

You really have to define the meaning of "thick" when it comes to guitar tone. My LP can sound thick, and has that very distinctive LP neck tone, but my Charvel Guthrie Govan is just as thick sounding in many ways. It's a bit confusing; how can a longer scale length bolt on with a carbon reinforced maple neck, ash body and Floyd type bridge sound as thick as a LP? The only thing I can figure is the custom pickups are well matched to carefully selected wood (the ash in this GG is a bit bizarre, never seen anything like it).

It seems the more I play and learn about guitars, the more that the old assumptions about construction and tone are challenged (i.e. rosewood is warmer than maple, all hot passive humbuckers are dark sounding, ceramic magnets are useless, truss rods are critical to guitar tone, mahogany is warmer than ash, certain scale lengths have very specific tones, etc).

NamaEnsou likes this.
  13. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

If you want an LP tone, get an LP or SG. Its the combination of the bridge/tailpiece, scale length, pickups, wood, etc that really gives the tone of those guitars.

chumbucket likes this.
  14. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

Schecter and others offer set-neck "super strat" style mahogany guitars in a 24 3/4" scale that are going to get you as close as possible in a "strat" type guitar.

I have a Schecter C-1 Standard that gets much closer to the LP sound than my HH strat ever did.

I'm moving the Schecter along now, just because it's too similar in function & sound to my Harley Benton CST-24T, which I like better. That's also a guitar that can get you real close, though because of the trem, I don't think it sounds as LP-ish as the Schecter.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  15. agiehler

Yeah I've been down that road and ended up with a beautiful R8, but that's since been sold off due to not playing all that much. The Gibson always felt too wide and flat radiused, but those PAF clean tones were awesome hence my current inquiry lol.

You're right about the investment and gamble with partscasters. Like many I have been disappointed with partscasters in the past, but have never tried one with humbuckers. Will update if I pull the trigger!

Very sweet! That might be a viable route to go. With the singles does it still have that low end punch?

I suppose I'm just looking for that fuller sounding clean tone with a bit more low end and a little chunk with palm muting. Whenever I ring out a chord on a Strat it just leaves me disappointed, unless there's a bit of compression or it's a funky rhythm part thing.

SG is the only one that I haven't actually tried yet. I'm currently rocking a DGT that is doing the fat LP thing pretty well, but I'm not crazy about the huge frets or how it sits when playing seated. Still comfier than an LP though. Wonder if the SG would work better or not...

Matt Dillon likes this.
  16. agiehler

Really? I wonder why that is, seeing as the Schecter is also a bolt-on neck :dunno

17. s2y

s2y Member

People say that it can't be done, but it's super rare that people have done ALL of the variables in Strat/Tele form. I'd agree that mahogany and 24.75" scale are ~90% of it. Set neck or neck through and a TOM bridge will only help.

18. agiehler

Yeah I'm totally with you, nothing will replace an LP. But I'm really just looking for a fatter, fuller clean tone that doesn't leave me disappointed when playing basic chord and single note stuff...while also being comfy to play :) Hard to find clips with conversion necks and humbuckers for reference so hopefully someone can chime in.

19. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

Scale, neck construction, electronics, bridge, even radius.
    Tone doesn't care about the body shape, nor wood mostly.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  20. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

You definitely need some sort of hardtail or tune-o-matic bridge.

HERSCHEL likes this.