Experienced iPad users - please help with interface + app!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by dr.morton, Feb 10, 2012.

1. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

I always wanted to use my iPad2 for ampless noodling around, recording and sketching out ideas etc.

Every time I took the time to find the right app and the corresponding interface I couldn't decide which one to choose. There doesn't seem to be "a" best choice. Certain compromises go along with every item.

I also found it incredibly difficult this time to filter out useful information among all the useless ads, announcements and stealth marketing schemes.

Maybe someone here can help me out!

Here is what I need:

Interface

- Preferably a small and portable interface

- should work with In Ear Monitors and offer the possibility to add a speaker

- good sounding

App

- Good sounding with a broad collection of sounds (amps/stompboxes)

- looping should be possible

- should support AudioCopy

- easy recording implementation

:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh

2. SBRocket

SBRocket Gold Supporting Member

Garage band is great for this. I use it with the apogee interface which is also excellent. You can plug in headphones or play through the iPad speaker, which sounds kind of small but it's ok for a quick check or tuning.

SB

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  3. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

Hardware interfaces
    Apogee jam is good for recording , it connects to the 30 pin on the iPad. Less electrical noise. Works with many apps, but not all ( from what I recall ) about 90 or 100 bucks ( us dollars )
    The peavy ampkit is battery powered, but connects the the headphone out of the iPad, more potential noise, but I like it for certain tones because it just sounds more open. Works with all apps, and is 30 bucks i think.But that's me. They are coming out with their own 30 pin connector soon. W

There are a few others I have not tried like the line 6 mobile in.

Apps
    Line 6 needs the mobile in hardware to work. But you can use it for other apps . I have not trid it yet

I have garage band, amplitube, jam up pro, and ampkit. In my opinion, ampkit plus does it all and very well. Tone wise, ampkit and jam up are better. I think you can try the free versions.

And you can plug into an external amp with all of them.

4. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

There is no 'best'...They all do different things. For what you are wanting though, I will agree with the others here - Apogee Jam + Garageband will do what you want, and do it quite well.

5. KozMcCharlie

KozMcCharlie Member

Personally, I tried using one of the headphone jack adapters and hated it. The dock connector is really the only way to go, but will cost a little more. It's worth the extra money.

For the app, I like Amplitube. I use it as a VST on Sonar and the apps sounds seem to compare fairly well.

6. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

But as far as I know Apogee Jam does not work with Amplitube.

7. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

I have the Line 6 Mobile in and also the Apogee Jam. I love them both. I like the POD iPad app very much so I need the LIne 6 for it. And I also love the Ampkit app. This are the best in my opinion and I have spent much time on all the different ones.

8. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Correct. Other members on here have stated before that it works, but from what I have read from IK Multimedia, and from trying it out here myself, it doesn't.

if anyone HAS got the Jam working with Amplitube, I'd love to hear from them with step by step instructions...

I was playing around this morning with my Apogee Jam and JamUp on my iPad and it is not too bad...