Experiences with Musicians Friend

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gfzen, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Gfzen

Gfzen Member

Hello All—

I wonder what experiences folks here have had ordering from Musicians Friend.

I saw a great deal on a guitar I wanted to order from MF and—just before pulling the trigger—I looked at consumer reviews regarding this company.

Whoa!

MF has terrible reviews on multiple sites. Typical rating? 1 out of 5 with a consistent theme of horrible customer service, poor communication, failure to honor warranties, failure to address/correct errors...

So...what experiences have folks here had?

2. naveed211

naveed211 Member

Sweetwater is typically my go-to for few reasons other than candy and they’re nice. But I’ve never had any issues with MF. They’ve been just fine in my experience.

ford, kidtwist, coltonius and 4 others like this.
  3. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

MF has been around a long time and will likely be here a long time after... I have dealt with a few guys over the phone which are not very helpful, but they are still pretty easy to work with. If you are looking at a big $$$ purchase I would say to got to CME.

ifallalot, CanserDYI and Da Geezer like this.
  4. Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy

Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy Member

I have made many purchases with Musicians Friend. Fortunately I have never wanted or needed to return anything, so I can't comment on that kind of issue.
    But the customer service people have always been polite and helpful and I almost always received my order within 5 business days.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    HERSCHEL likes this.
  5. Someotherguy

Someotherguy Member

I've only purchased a couple things from them, but no problems and shipping was quick. They are usually in-stock while a certain competitor is always "more on the way".

6. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

never had any issues w/ MF. haven't purchased anything in a long time from them, but all were good.

LSMFT6 likes this.
  7. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Musicans Friend owned by Guitar Center...
    Enough said.. do not pass go do not collect 200.00

Rs812, JaiRamana, Gibson Dog and 5 others like this.
  8. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Never bought a guitar, but never had an issue with them on the stuff I did buy. Everything from pedals, to tubes, to converse chuck taylor's. LOL

9. stonem

stonem Member

I ordered I bunch of monster cables from them years ago. I like one side to be right angled. Anyway I ordered around $200 worth. They sent me all straight cables. I called and they said they were out of the angled so they sent the straight instead. I could send them back but they didn't know when they would have the angled again. I dont order there anymore.

10. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I prefer their sister stores Guitar Center, because you can try before buying. Plus, they offer Fender Special Run guitars that are usually better than standard issues, quality wise. I can take my least favorite parts from Fender guitars, and put them together to make a trade in, that I don't care about. Go ahead, make me a low ball offer. It reduces the taxes. This also makes my remaining Fenders even better.

11. FennRx

FennRx Member

MF is GC. Their customer service sucks and they have a habit of selling clearly used/scratch and dent items as NIB.

cust22 and Rs812 like this.
  12. Drawde

Drawde Member

I've had nothing but good experiences with purchases and returns.

I will say this though, if you want a discount call multiple times. Last guitar I bought, I wanted 15 percent off. I think I called maybe 4 or 5 times. I got no, no, 7 percent and finally 15 percent that I wanted.

Also, join the backstage thing. It costs nothing and after 45 days you get 8% back of your purchase in points to spend at MF.

13. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

No major issues here although they did hit me with a 15% restocking fee on a thousand dollar item last year. I returned it BECUSE it was used and not new. When they got a used item back, they nailed me for the restocking fee thinking I sent it back used. It never did get straightened out I'm still out over $150. I have been a MF customer for at least 20 years.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  14. Microdot

Microdot Member

Been a long time customer with MF with no issues. The last few years I've been buying from GC and Sweetwater with no issues. I dig the candy from Sweetwater, it's a nice touch.

15. stratadp

stratadp Member

I've been buying from MF since the 90s when they were a family owned catalog business in Medford, Oregon. Never had any issues, only had to make one return due to a broken part but they were great about it. I've also only bought smaller sized items, no guitars or amps.

Noise Under The Floor likes this.
  16. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I've been using them since before buying online was a possibility. Never had an issue with them. They aren't my "go to" seller, but I have no complaints personally about them.

17. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

Generally good experiences with them. The 8% back thing has worked out well for me....I've used it to pay for all my incidentals for a couple years now; free strings, cables, accessories.

Always call to check for the best price. Always. They will give you a better price than is listed if you call and are cool about it.

Regarding the warranties: I never buy extended warranties on things. However, over the last two years I bought two new amps from them. They gave me such a good deal over the phone that I was like "Ya...what the heck...throw in the extended warranty." Win/win, I figured.

Well...one of those amps has developed a warranty problem. I called MF. They said "we don't handle that directly...here is the warranty company's contact info." I called the warranty place and they sent me a pre-paid label to ship the amp from Seattle to New York. Three weeks later it came back. I plugged it in....problem not fixed. I called them again. They sent another prepaid label. Off to NY it goes. This time my ticket is "escalated", they order new parts, take little more time with it, and ship it back. It is scheduled to arrive this Friday. Won't know if they fixed it this time until them, and I won't be surprised either way.

The warranty company has been easy enough to deal with, and they have paid every dime of all expenses, but here is the thing I didn't realize about them going in: they don't specialize in musical instruments. They do it all: laptops, cell phones, blenders, etc. Anything for which an extended warranty is sold. This makes me feel like amps sent in for repair probably end up on the bench of a tech who may know electronics, but knows nothing about the quirkiness of tube amps and how they are supposed to function....which doesn't instill a ton of confidence.

Hope all that was helpful.

18. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

MF is just the big box of online ordering. High volume, non-personalized transportation of things from warehouses straight to your door. I don't particularly see a reason to choose them over, say, Sweetwater or a smaller boutique shop, unless they have something you want that you can't get elsewhere, or at least can't get cheaper elsewhere, in which case... whatever. I never go out of my way to shop there, though.

Gig Young likes this.
  19. telest

telest Member

I have ordered from MF for many years and never had any issues. Ordering and occasional returns always problem free.

modavis99 and Gig Young like this.
  20. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Supporting Member

They've been great as well for me. Only thing, if you return it, you have to pay the shipping back, but Sweetwater sends a label and deducts the shipping amt from the amt of the item you paid, which I like better. But both are great.