Experimenting with my new EP Boost v2

mtperry85

I know there's already too many threads on this little sucker, but we've all got different setups, so I figure it always helps to add new thoughts.....

Anyhow, I got this box 'o goodness and sparkle a week ago and I've been putting it through the ringer for an hour or two every day at living room levels. I'm currently between bands and haven't had an occasion to get my rig to gig levels, so things may change once my jam room is completed and drums enter the picture.

Before adding the EP to my chain it looked like this:
G&L ASAT Special - Fuzz - Wah - Tuner - TS9 - Secret Freq - DD7 - 65 PRRI

After reading up on the EP Boost I planned on using it at the end of my chain (before delay) as an always-on pedal in the Vintage mode with dB boost disabled. It didn't take much time to figure out that the Vintage mode robbed too much sparkle from my Fender, however, and it got switched back to the factory tone setting.

The boost was definitely too much for living room levels with the amp's volume at 3-4, so I'm happy to have a version 2 unit. It plays very well with my TS9, which is set a la SRV with the drive on 1 and the level just enough to give slight distortion when really digging in on the strings. This has become my base tone.

I like to stack my TS9 with the Secret Freq set for just a touch more distortion, but having the EP on after these killed too many harmonics. I put it in between them, and it improved the tone when all three were on, but it's still not as good as removing the EP from the mix.

I also like to stack my Fuzz and the TS9, but found the EP once again threw a blanket over the amp when turned on with these pedals.

So I didn't quite get the "always-on" magic dust to sprinkle on everything that some folks report, but the EP did seriously improve my favorite tone: clean with just a touch of grit. Now I just need to learn to use both feet for toe-tapping, cuz when I want more overdrive or fuzz I've got to turn the EP off..... doh!

mtperry85

I didn't mean to sound like the pedal was a total loss. It has really enhanced my basic clean'ish tone and will remain on the board. My hopes were just inflated a bit from all of the "always-on" reviews, so I thought it would be good to throw a little constructive criticism into the discussion for future buyers.

groovemeister

I have a love/hate relationship with this pedal - originally used it as always on in vintage mode as a tone enhancer for my blues jnr,took it off my board for a while, put it back on as a boost instead(it is great in that application)-went full circle and currently using it as tone enhancer again. This time however, it is only on some of the time. You are right man , it does wreck a pristine fender clean . If i play lenny or riviera paradise etc, i just use amp and amp reverb- the ep takes the crispness off. Here is my secret use of the ep- when using the octafuzz, i switch it on - it is kind of like rolling the tone back on the neck pu. It also helps thicken the tone with the sunface or dls. I basically only use it about 30% of the time now more as an eq in a way for songs where i just want a bit more bottom end. I use my 808 for solos ala srv as well with the gain very low and the level high- the ep can be helpfull here adding lows to the 808 and to thicken the tone . My aqua puss(set mayer style) makes my sound bigger as well but its nice to have the ep on sometimes too- i think too many peeps have it always on just cos they read that ear but like anything, let your ears be the ultimate judge.

Trending Topics