Expert speaker help needed!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by fuzzyguitars, Mar 16, 2006.

1. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

I recently got some of the limited edition Zack Wylde Celestion speakers that were in his signature cabinet.

They are supposedly evm 12L knock offs.

My question for you speaker experts is this:

When i took my ohm meter and measure across the leads th measurement was something like 6.8.

The dealer that I bought the speakers from said that they were rated at 8 ohms each.

Is the measurement that I took the TRUE reading?

If that is the TRUE reading and resistance of the speaker, will it damage my amp to run a pair of them in series at 16 ohms even though the speakers are running at 13.6 ohms?

Help me please!

thanks in advance:dude :RoCkIn :dude

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

It's common for 8 ohm speakers to read that low, and also for 16 ohm speakers to read in the high 12's or mid 13's. Fear not, you're ok. Now install those speakers and report back with your tone thoughts...OK? :AOK

3. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

You're measuring resistance which is not the same thing as impedance......8 ohm speakers normally have a lower reading like the 6.8 that you got with your meter . This is normal , your amp will be fine.
    Dave C

4. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

thank you both for your replies and help.

I have already tried those speakers.

I should preface and let you know that I also have the original 12L 200 watters to compare with.

In a word, they sound great. But the celestion ones do sound more British.

They are very tight and lots of bass with extended highs. I think they are great. I tried them in a bogner 2x12 and thd 2x12, both those cabs weighed and sounded as much as 4x12 cabs!:RoCkIn

5. bob-i

bob-i Member

8 ohms is the imprdance, not the resistance. Impedance is to AC current, resistance is to DC current. This is a typical measurement of an 8 ohm speaker.