Explain me the differense: Gibson R vs VOS

buckwild

Gold Supporting Member
R? I assume you mean reissue? VOS is merely a finish option on Reissue guitars. You can either get VOS finish or Full Gloss.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Yes, VOS is something that got added later on to add an aged look.
Vintage Original Spec IIRC is what it stands for, yeah right.

Gloss is an upcharge now, $300. it was, don't know if that increased.

Some guys buff or polish the VOS to get it to a gloss.

No difference in the guitar itself though Rx= VOS nowadays.

Rock72

Yes, VOS is something that got added later on to add an aged look.
Vintage Original Spec IIRC is what it stands for, yeah right.

Gloss is an upcharge now, $300. it was, don't know if that increased.

Some guys buff or polish the VOS to get it to a gloss.

No difference in the guitar itself though Rx= VOS nowadays.
Hey, thanks for that. It is so confusing with all the abbreviations flying around in society today, so I just wanted to get my head around this one :aok

bonchie123

Silver Supporting Member
I like the VOS because the aged hardware and pickup covers give the guitar a classy vintage look IMO. I tend to dislike shiny new hardware on a LP after having a VOS.

The VOS stuff polishes off the body itself easily and you can get a perfectly acceptable gloss going.

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
I like the VOS because the aged hardware and pickup covers give the guitar a classy vintage look IMO. I tend to dislike shiny new hardware on a LP after having a VOS.

The VOS stuff polishes off the body itself easily and you can get a perfectly acceptable gloss going.
If you gig the brand new guitar for a couple years the nickel tarnishes right up.

The hardware on my 05 R8 (pre-VOS) is actually too tarnished for my liking. I'm afraid of what it's going to look like in 7 more years.

Bluedawg

Vintage Original Spec, as stated in a previous post.

It replaced the Custom Authentic finish.

IIRC the Custom Authentic still shows up as an option on some models from time to time ... like the Billy Gibbons LP ... and is a heavier relicing than the VOS including dings and scratches and wear

The VOS doesn't have dings and scratches .. just an older looking finish and some tarnish on the hardware.

At least that's what I remember

:munch

greuvin

IIRC the Custom Authentic still shows up as an option on some models from time to time ... like the Billy Gibbons LP ... and is a heavier relicing than the VOS including dings and scratches and wear

The VOS doesn't have dings and scratches .. just an older looking finish and some tarnish on the hardware.

At least that's what I remember

:munch
Nope, you are referring to "Aged Authentic" which has dings and scratches.

Custom Authentic is "very gently aged". Similar but really looks totally different than the VOS

Tim Plains

I keep posting this but people must not read it. LOL
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

New 1968 Les Paul Customs are still Custom Authentic. This is what Gibson said is the difference.

"The Custom Authentic and VOS are very similar. Both finishes have a dulled finish. The Custom Authentic models will have dulled hardware, while the VOS models will have aged, which can include some rust and pitting on certain parts. This will usually be the only difference between the two."

jekylmeister

Raconteur Extraordinaire
Gold Supporting Member
I don't like the VOS models and quite frankly I've had a little trouble sorting out all the models myself. I do not want to pay thousands of dollars for a nice guitar that has crummy looking hardware on it. Just me. I dig the old specs and all, but don't want beat up hardware and I certainly don't want dings in it to make it look old either. Personal taste, I guess. I'm (at this moment) into the good ol Reissue's (58-60).

patentcad

I knew if I hung around you guitar weenies long enough I'd actually learn WTF 'VOS' stands for.

And so I have.

Trending Topics