Explain the reasoning behind the Tele Custom to me

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., Jun 18, 2019.

1. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

I dunno. Someone important at Fender wanted to put a humbucker in the neck position of a tele? :dunno

shane8 likes this.
  2. dconeill

dconeill Member

I don't think Fender calls these new pickups "new wide range humbuckers". I didn't see any place where they claimed they were recreations in any way of the 1970s "wide range humbuckers"; though I did see somewhere that they staggered the polepieces in a cosmetic nod to the 70s pickups.

I believe Fender calls these "Shawbuckers".

They didn't give this guitar the big 70s Strat headstock, either; so it's pretty clear that they weren't trying to recreate the 70s Tele Deluxe guitar.

3. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

Tele Customs, and HSS Strats for that matter, have always been a rathole for me. I like the way they look, but I was never able to find my sounds in them and spent a lot of time and money chasing. I prefer HH guitars, namely Les Pauls, and get my change of pace from a standard Tele and a Firebird with P90s. I guess if the Fender shape and scale is your guitar north star, then I think playing around with these type of Frankenstein creations is a way to get some other sounds and a unique look.

zach sears likes this.
  4. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

That's what I came here to say.

5. Digidog

Digidog Member

But when Fender recreates some famous guitarist's guitar, they brag and boast about how exact and truthful they are in doing so. I find it hard to believe that a company the size of Fender couldn't bring some metal industry to produce CuNiFe bars for a reasonable price, so there must be some other explanation to this. Lazy cost cutting maybe?

Guitar companies go to great lengths to procure woods for their manufacture, so that they - given all their authenticity boasting - don't do the same on pickup magnet alloys, is to me astonishing.

6. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

I picture your wife after you got married — ohhhh!!
    Hickory, dickory, doc---

What Ron Kirn said might be true. Might also be true that some artist asked for it, they made it, and decided maybe it both broadened the product range and that other people might find affection for it. IMO, it's a good thing when people adapt and repurpose a 'standard.' That's the beginning of innovation. Maybe the problem is only that it's called a "Telecaster." If they had made up a separate name for it, boom—no contrived 'controversy.'

neastguy likes this.
  7. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Stockta, Telefunky and Maggie_O like this.
  8. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

What I've learned is you shouldn't trust Fender when it comes to period-correct Fender specs.

e??? and monty like this.
  9. XTC Blue

XTC Blue Silver Supporting Member

Steve Howe was married to one for the entire 'Relayer' period of the band. Easily some his best work and tones IMO.

[​IMG]

Glitch Magnet and daacrusher2001 like this.
  10. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Supporting Member

You're not talking about the same guitar as most others in this thread. The '72 Custom, the '72 Deluxe, and the '72 Thinline all have what Fender calls "Fender Wide Range humbucking" pickups. True to the originals, the '72 Deluxe has the large headstock while the Custom and Thinline do not.

The Shawbucker equipped guitars are totally different models, and are named differently.

Source:

stephenyi and Glitch Magnet like this.
  11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Throaty? More like muddy.

I don't get it either. The perfect neck pickup for a tele is the Strat neck pickup. Or maybe a P90... or a filtertron if you really want a dual coil. But definitely not a mudbucker.

Stratofuzz likes this.
  12. Digidog

Digidog Member

I don't either.

But I must listen to their boasting about it, and given that: I think they should be more consientious about such a seemingly appreciated thing as the wide range humbucker. It appears dull to brag about period correct, hand wound single coils, when at the same time selling a non-replica as a replica of one very appreciated design.

I would be an easy fix for them.

13. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

you forgot "...and put a really ugly pickgaurd on it"

Kevbo599 likes this.
  14. Musicroom

Musicroom Member

Play one with a SD 59 in the neck. Sounds too good to explain. I have an older (73) thinline with a 59n / PGb. Bliss...

I buy and sell guitars all the time. Keep some - love some. Nothing ever sounds better than this one.

15. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

I've always thought the opposite would be more useful for me, like the Lace Sensor Telecaster Plus but with traditional-style pickups.

16. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

From the Link posted above regarding current issue WRHB pickups:

The Modern Wide Range humbucking pickups on this guitar expertly evoke the look of the famous Fender pickup design of the early 1970s, as used on original-era Telecaster Thinline, Telecaster Custom and Telecaster Deluxe models.”

...sounds like all they could reproduce was the “look” of the pickup, and the lawyers (aka fun police) squashed any bragging about how authentic the pickup is. Doesn’t sound all that boastful to me....expertly evoking a look can’t be all that hard.

17. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

And...as much as I love Keith and as much as I love the Tele, I just never did like the Tele Custom; that and the Thinline are the only incarnations that I've never owned and probably never will but to each his own.
    How boring would life and music be if we all liked the same thing?

18. cadduc

cadduc Member

the hb, and hollow body versions are not what I think of when I hear telecaster custom,
    I think of the prior version, a telecaster with a sunburst finish and pearloid binding and a tortoise shell pick guard, and the regular pick ups
    like ray davies used in the kinks
    I did not like the newer versions

19. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

It's all but impossible to reproduce the pickups authentically because you can't get Cunife alloy in threaded rods (Telenator was doing it but I think they had to do the threading in-house and it was a PITA).

coldengray likes this.
  20. Salfordlad

Salfordlad Member

The Tele neck pickup is the best pickup in the world IMO.