Explain the reasoning behind the Tele Custom to me

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., Jun 18, 2019.

1. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I had a Tradition Jerry Reid that was my main axe for quite a few years, it had the humbuck in the neck and it sounded great. I get the point behind it entirely, because when cover bands started doing both country and rock ( at one time , believe it or not youngsters, rock bands only did rock music and country bands only did country music as a general rule) you could get the twang for the chicken pickin and get the throaty deep sound of the neck humbuck for a lot of rock music and blues.

I will likely end up with a Squier Telecaster with two humbucks to refinish and customize for myself at some point. They are light weight, the necks feel great, and very ergonomic.

I think it originally had to do with the fact that before the Japanese got serious about guitars and decided to teach us how to do it properly, there were only a few kids on the block. Gibson and Fender were the two biggies, and it only made sense that they would try to appeal to each others markets.

Perhaps at some time some designer at Fender had seen a Telecaster that some ingenious kid put a couple of PAFs in and a lightbulb went off over his head.

That is also why you see Strats with a humbuck in the bridge and two singles. Which I think are horrid.

2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Telenator doesn't sell any WRHB's these days, he gave up some time ago because he could no longer get the CuNiFe magnet material. I would settle for close enough, better than the crap they are putting in the production guitars that look like WRHB's. And I have never heard of good WRHB's in any Fender CS guitars, where did you get that info?. Not saying it isn't true, just that I've never heard that until your post.
    Al

Silver Hand likes this.
  3. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

Not to hijack, but I always wondered what he used on Relayer (love that album). But what exactly is that Tele? The selector switch and top part of the pickguard look like a Tele Custom, but the controls and lack of of pickguard around them don't. And BTW, some of the Teles in this thread are mods, not Tele Customs.

Glitch Magnet likes this.
  4. metheniac

metheniac Supporting Member

Worked for Ed for most of his professional career.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silver Hand likes this.
  5. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

From a Premier Guitar article:

MikeMcK likes this.
  6. Alvis

Alvis Member

ROCK ROCK ROCK !

67blackcherry likes this.
  7. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

When ordering a guitar through them - you can specify what pickups you want - including who you want them from.

Silver Hand likes this.
  8. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

This is the correct answer.

67blackcherry likes this.
  9. disconnector

disconnector Member

... or thermonuclear weapons. Which are the “telecaster” version of the military arsenal.

10. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

That cracked me up! About the fan he hit: "I bailed him out, alright? He didn't spend the night in jail; he still owes me 200 bucks."
    And the guitar? "A Telecaster makes a damn good club!"

I myself found that a Les Paul makes a damn good club, too, but only after a drunken patron broke the headstock off... :(

11. Stike

Stike Member

Humbuggy?

12. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

This...Besides IMHO the best humbuckers sound like really good single coils anyway

13. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Explain the reasoning behind 100 "different" types of Strats to me.

14. d-rock

d-rock Supporting Member

I didn't say that they did.

15. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

One of the many many many reasons I love Keith...any other rockstar would've ran off to the side and let security deal with it; not Keith, he swings that Tele like Babe Ruth swung a baseball bat!

16. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Member

I remember the Customs becoming all the rage with the Indie crowd like 10 years back, que no?

I remember seeing Motion City Soundtrack at a street show. Before the show, their lead singer bought one at a shop a block or so from the gig, which I had also dropped in to to check out the gear.

He took it straight from that shop, to the stage, and I think he still uses that fiddle.

Anyway, it sounded good to me. The traditional pup layout on a Tele is classic, for sure. But if everybody used that, life would be kinda boring. I like the regular tele neck pup, but I really love the Lollar Royal T I have installed in my Tele neck position right now.

If I'm not mistaken, Fender introduced the Custom because it was getting its butt kicked by bucker based sellers in the 70s and didn't want to lose that corner of the market.

17. harvey j

harvey j Member

Take the cover off the neck pickup and it sounds twice as loud with a great tone. no more mud.

18. Wino67

Wino67 Supporting Member

Ya think?

19. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Member

Wasn't that Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman?

;)

shane8 likes this.
  20. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - but their faces were not shown and they went uncredited.

shane8 likes this.