Explain the reasoning behind the Tele Custom to me

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., Jun 18, 2019.

1. rotaxian

rotaxian Member

I was always a fan of the custom tele pickup configuration but wanted the tele deluxe large headstock so I made this tele mongrel. Warmoth body, musikraft neck w period correct bullet truss rod.

Baxtercat, monty, shane8 and 2 others like this.
  2. outdoorpja

outdoorpja Supporting Member

that is sexy @rotaxian !! i love the large headstock as well. what pickups are you running?

3. outdoorpja

i had a couple stock teles at one point, and never really bonded with the traditional neck pickup, but really loved the tele feel, and the bridge pickup versatility. found me a CIJ tele custom local on craigslist for a song, had the crappy reissue WRHB spruced up by Telenator (mod1), and put in a Zhangbucker bridge pickup and all new pots/caps. also added the bigsby at some point for some extra tonal options. this thing has been my favorite for years now. and i really love having separate controls for each pickup.

4. rotaxian

rotaxian Member

Bridge is a Cavalier Fat Lion (awesome pu) and Neck is Fender WRHB reissue (which is just so so). I may replace the neck pu w a Fralin

5. outdoorpja

nice i've heard good things about Cavalier. i'd recommend the Telenator mod for the WRHB but he stopped doing them a while back. Curtis Novak currently does WRHB rebuilds to get them singing. but you also can't go wrong with a Fralin!

6. nowhere

nowhere Member

And Albert Collins, Ed Bickert...

monty and 67blackcherry like this.
  7. jalmer

jalmer Member

Seems to me it needs the ashtray bridge and single coil bridge pickup to be a tele. Neck pickup is optional.

8. fullofdust

fullofdust Member

Lollar Regals are amazing. I can't say how close they live up to the originals as I've never played them side by side, but they're just great regardless. I did feel a bit silly putting $400 worth of pickups into my $400 used MIM tele deluxe, but that was 6 years ago and it's still my most played guitar.

This was definitely a thing in the early 2000's indie/emo/punk scene. I remember seeing lots of guys playing the Customs and Deluxes.

9. Alvis

Alvis Member

10. Maggot

Maggot Member

I read an interview with Malcolm Young where he was talking about how in the early days of AC/DC they only had one backup guitar between him an Angus. They had a either a Custom or a Tele with with a humbucker in the neck. If Malcolm would break a string, he'd use the bridge pickup to approximate the sound of his Gretsch. If Angus would break a string, he'd go to the neck pickup to sound more like his SG. It worked for them for years.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    monty and romiso like this.
  11. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

Baxtercat likes this.
  12. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

Marketing. Gibson had the PAF humbuckers. Fender wanted a piece of the humbucking pickup guitar market and (Seth Lover) designed the WRH as a way around Gibson's Patent Application.

I owned a '72 Reissue Thinline for a short time. Not my favorite Telecaster flavor but I have owned a couple Telecasters with a conventional PAF in the neck that sounded exceptionally sweet in that configuration.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  13. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Saw this a lot around L.A. then, before Fender did it.
    I've played w/ a few who'd added reg. or mini-HBs to their worn out '50s Teles & Esquires.

Just to post this on the thread, here's one I had.
    I stayed over late hurrying a print job for a local candidate's campaign.
    The guy not only paid, he just gave me his barely used '75 Custom [w/ tags, newish case, etc.]
    Hard to bond with [or even lift] the 10 or 11 pound hard ash thing, all covered w/ polyester ThickSkin.

[​IMG]

monty and Tonekat like this.
  14. SingleMalt

SingleMalt Member

It's a tonal characteristic in the lower mids that has a vocal quality to it. Strats are more know for this than Teles, but some Teles just have it. You could reproduce this sound with your own voice once you know what it sounds like.

15. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

Funny you posted that, I was thinking the same thing......just watched that video the other day. Used to listen to a lot of PT back in the day....always though it was a bit of a non traditional choice of guitars for him. I think he played a LP special as well. Definitely can hear the WRHB in his tone, great playing too. :beer

Alvis likes this.
  16. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

He was well-known for playing a modded Melody Maker with humbuckers.
    Al

Sampler likes this.