• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

Explain the Varitone concept

1973Marshall

Every time I try a Varitone I marvel at how awesome it is. Then again, I feel like I'd need to spend a long time to find maybe 3 faves and the ideal situations to use them.

What was the idea with these and why did they never take off? Why don't we see them around much? Too heavy? Too cumbersome? They seem like an exciting tonal palette.

samdjr74

I think part of the problem is they are an acquired taste. I have one guitar with a varitone and I enjoy it but as much as I like it, I really only need the one guitar equipped with the feature.

Retrofitting with the Big Dog unit is pretty easy as it's a smaller foot print and 2 wire hook up but even being smaller it's still has some girth and might not fit every control cavity.

gadzooka

There's also a widely discussed (certainly in the internet age) issue of their implementation or design where, in some (most?) cases, they have a deadening effect on the whole voice of the guitar, even when they are in "bypass" mode. This is something I wonder if Gibson fixed recently. I have a 2011 ES-345 and I'd swear the Varitone in position 1 is providing the full sound of the guitar. Of course, I can't compare it to itself without a Varitone.

I like the Varitone. It's like having some pre-set "chilled out" tone/volume settings.

Last edited:

JB Eckl

My old Blues Hawk has a varitone on it. Sounds very cool, and the bypass is definitely correct.

straightblues

like them for playing at home and for recording. My main issue is the volume differences in each of the positions. Live I am always having to adjust volume as I switch setting and it is hard to do.