Explain these "deluxe" albums

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bobby Wasabi, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

Just when I thought I knew what a "deluxe" album was, now I'm not so sure. You know, it adds a few songs that the regular album doesn't have, either some live tracks or bonus tracks?

I picked up the first Imagine Dragons album, Night Visions, last week and I really like it. Then, I saw on iTunes today they had the new second one, Smoke + Mirrors, for $6.99. Just before I hit purchase, I noticed the deluxe version of the album for $11.99. Out of curiosity, I thought I'd see what was added. Cool...they added three songs. I still bought the regular one for the discounted price. If I want the other three I can purchase them separately and still be under $11.99.

Here is where I got confused. I then saw the deluxe version of the first album Night Visions. It drops two tracks and adds 7 new ones :huh

Night Visions (regular)
    1. Radioactive
    2. Tiptoe
    3. It's Time
    4. Demons
    5. On Top of the World
    6. Amsterdam
    7. Hear Me
    8. Every Night
    9. Bleeding Out
    10. Underdog
    11. Nothing Left to Say/Rocks
    12. Working Man
    13. Fallen

Night Visions (Deluxe)
    1. Radioactive
    2. Tiptoe
    3. It's Time
    4. Demons
    5. On Top of the World
    6. Amsterdam
    7. Hear Me
    8. Every Night
    9. Bleeding Out
    10. Underdog
    11. Nothing Left to Say/Rocks
    12. My Fault
    13. Round and Round
    14. The River
    15. America
    16. Selene
    17. Cover Up
    18. I Don't Mind

So what's the deal here? Lame attempt to get "fans" to buy both versions of the album? Why not just release two unique albums of ten songs each? What is the actual "album" anyways, the first 11 songs? Does anyone really care about what the actual "album" is?

2. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

yes, that's the deal. an upsale

3. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Since 90% of people don't buy music anymore I'm willing to guess that they don't care what the album is supposed to be. They'll probably just download a torrent with all the songs in it.