• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Explain to me the XLR Cable!

Hey guys!

So I'm planning a little project, and I need to understand the anatomy of the XLR cable. Been doing a lot of research, and I've got most of it down, but no where can I find a simple explanation of what flows through what pins.

Where does the Signal Flow (electric guitars that use Piezo for example?)
Where does the phantom power flow?
Ground?

Which pin is usually designated to what?

Appreciate it!

Eric

DC1

Are you speaking of an XLR used with a particular guitar, or one attached to a mic?

dc

I've read the wikipedia article before posting here...maybe I'm losing it, but it still doesn't differentiate between which pins the signal and voltage flow through. Anyone that can shed some light on it for me?

Thanks for the help.

Miles19

XLRs are most commonly used for balanced signals (two signal wires, plus a separate ground). As the wikipedia article says, pin 1 is ground, and pins 2 and 3 are the signal "hot" and "return". Phantom power is typically +48V (though it can be other values), applied to BOTH pins 2 and 3, with respect to pin 1. Since the receiver of a balanced signal amplifies the difference between pins 2 and 3, the phantom power *should* have no effect on that amplifier, or on the balanced source that supplies the signal. However, there are some possible side-effects which can be hazardous to, for instance, ribbon mics.

HTH,
Miles

Trending Topics