Explain to me the XLR Cable!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ibanez4life SZ!, Feb 26, 2009.

1. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Hey guys!

So I'm planning a little project, and I need to understand the anatomy of the XLR cable. Been doing a lot of research, and I've got most of it down, but no where can I find a simple explanation of what flows through what pins.

Where does the Signal Flow (electric guitars that use Piezo for example?)
    Where does the phantom power flow?
    Ground?

Which pin is usually designated to what?

Appreciate it!

Eric

2. DC1

DC1 Member

Are you speaking of an XLR used with a particular guitar, or one attached to a mic?

dc

3. jamiefbolton

jamiefbolton Supporting Member

4. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Great book - excellent recommendation.

Peter.

5. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

I've read the wikipedia article before posting here...maybe I'm losing it, but it still doesn't differentiate between which pins the signal and voltage flow through. Anyone that can shed some light on it for me?

Thanks for the help.

6. Miles19

Miles19 Member

XLRs are most commonly used for balanced signals (two signal wires, plus a separate ground). As the wikipedia article says, pin 1 is ground, and pins 2 and 3 are the signal "hot" and "return". Phantom power is typically +48V (though it can be other values), applied to BOTH pins 2 and 3, with respect to pin 1. Since the receiver of a balanced signal amplifies the difference between pins 2 and 3, the phantom power *should* have no effect on that amplifier, or on the balanced source that supplies the signal. However, there are some possible side-effects which can be hazardous to, for instance, ribbon mics.

HTH,
    Miles