Explaining EVH's Impact To Today's Youth

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Sloppyfingers, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I think you mean early 90s?

I'd been playing guitar for about eleven years when Nirvana broke. I think they had a hell of a lot more to do with inspiring young guitarists in the 90s. Billy Ray Cyrus, while he had that huge, dopey single, had very little influence on young guitarists at that time (I was living in Fort Worth at the time, I would have seen it if it had been present.)

As for "decent pointy guitars", I started playing in 1980. Decent affordable guitars were already available, and by the time hair-metal hit in 1984, Ibanez (lower-line Destroyer IIs, Vs), Matsumoku (Westone guitars were great for the money) and other imports were hitting that pointy market segment very well with giggable gear. Living in SoCal at the time, I saw this close-up.

Your claims don't comport with my recollections.

2. cam0122

cam0122 Member

Although I agree with the common notion that grunge killed the smoking hot, kick a$$ guitar driven rock that preceded it, your suggestion that Van Halen's "over indulgent" playing style, impact, etc. "needed to die" is ridiculous. (IMHO, the only music worth listening to from the Seattle grunge era was by STP, and one or two tunes by Pearl Jam, i.e. 'Even Flow'. The grunge stuff lacks excitement, and requires a comparatively low level of guitar prowess to perform.

Listen to any VH record and you'll find that Eddie's solos are all very short and very inspired, and most definitely NOT over indulgent in the least.

noisebloom likes this.
  3. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

as well you should have been

Go Cat Go!! likes this.
  4. mattjayworker

mattjayworker Member

OK BOOMER

sahhas likes this.
  5. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Between SRV passing and Nirvana, the 90’s had a huge guitar boom, from my memory.

The guys my age(Mayer, KWS, JB, Lang, Trucks...) and that wave. All of my buddies were one or the other. SRV/Hendrix/Clapton or Nirvana/tool/rage/Metallica

Throw in some Petty/Neil/Springsteen
    What a time to be coming up.

fun time. And....they all had songs.

whatizitman and T Dizz like this.
  6. cam0122

cam0122 Member

Fortunately, we still have Jeff Beck with us.
    There are many great guitarists from the past who can, do, and should be inspiring every generation of guitar players:
    Johnny Winter, Gary Moore, Peter Frampton, Terry Cath, Alvin Lee, Albert King, Pat Martino, Chet Atkins, Tony Rice, John McLaughlin, Robben Ford, et al.

And then there are the great horn players....

Thumpalumpacus and sahhas like this.
  7. johnsav

johnsav Member

IME Dire Straits' Mark Knopfler had an equal effect on guitar players at their time, as well as Andy Summers of the Police. The Edge, too.
    Is EVH more influential or important than those players?

Thedude99 and japanmoran like this.
  8. blueworm

blueworm Member

Folks from Pompei agree.

In Absentia, jwny72, ronole and 3 others like this.
  9. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

Yes, although those guys are great and I love all 3, Eddie was more influential than those 3. Important depends on who's music you like more. IMO. Andy Summers, The Edge's and Knopfler signature model guitars sales numbers are probably dwarfed by all the different EVH guitars sold over the years. Same with guitar magazine covers. Eddies has been on far more because he sells the mags. Hell, epic threads on TGP he has them beat.

GenericUserName and Sam Hill like this.
  10. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Influence and popularity are different things.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  11. NotWesYet

NotWesYet Member

sahhas likes this.
  12. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

Here's another perspective for you. I'm probably a few years older than you. I graduated HS in '69. I started playing guitar around '65 and was influenced by The Beatles, the Stones, the Byrds, the Doors, Clapton, Hendrix,Garcia,Cippolina, Jorma,Ry Cooder, etc.
    When EVH came around he didn't even register for me. I don't think I've ever listened to any of his songs all the way through. His music never appealed to me. When I think of iconic guitarists and those that had huge impact he does not come to mind. You were in the right place at the right time to consider him to be an impact. I was not, and neither was the the youth of today.

Toby Krebs, jwny72, wombat66 and 3 others like this.
  13. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

we just talked about this last Sunday on a short family trip w/ my older son who's a freshman in college. had a real laugh about it....funny kids....

mattjayworker likes this.
  14. Han Valen

Han Valen Member

I don't care who inspires the beginners, just to have more of them. Unfortunately, I rarely see them.Nobody mentioned Blackmore

15. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Supporting Member

I'd argue that people have the option today to be much more literate of something if they're really into it. Case in point, EVH, anyone who really really gets into guitar will invariably dive into its history, thats just the evolution of interest. Yet, whereas, decades ago, it would've taken you a whole lot of effort to see the scope of influence and historical moments leading to an aesthetic event, like Hendrix or EVH, now you can see much more the entire picture. Rock music is a young art form but it was born of media so it has this paradoxical relationship to time and history that other art forms don't necessarily suffer from. It may seem that no one knows or cares about the pioneers of rock but they do, there just isn't a reason to pontificate it because the scope is so big now. Sure EVH was/is impressive but so is Lenny Breau, Holdsworth, Al Di Meola, Segovia...etc. Thankfully we can now appreciate them all. The closest, I think to EVHs level of impact in people playing guitar is John Mayer, he snuck in at the tail end of a time you could be a phenomena like that, at least optically, today there are people just as influential (like the Edge) but not visibly to the degree that those before were

16. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

that was 1992 ...

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  17. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

I guess I've never really worried about a certain player's influence or impact on today's young guitarists/musicians. It's always been what has impacted me and my own playing. If someone else is inspired by the same thing, that's great. If not, it's no concern of mine as I'm not the gatekeeper. Kids grow up and find new things that inspire them, which could then catch my ear and inspire me.

18. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Nah. But you seem a little over-invested in this. I was there when EVH happened and I dug it. I was just a little kid when Jimi did. I got into Jimi much later. He is ubiquitous today, yesterday and tomorrow.

19. SweetSAAB

SweetSAAB Supporting Member

Remember when every other thread on TGP wasn't about EVH? The good 'ol days for sure.

Suave Eddie likes this.
  20. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member

I was already playing when the first VH came out and Jimi had no effect on me(I still don`t get what all the fuss is about).
    Bloomfield, Green, Gibbons, Mick Taylor, etc is what made me want to play.

Suave Eddie likes this.