Explaining Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fendervox, Feb 18, 2008.

1. fendervox

fendervox Member

Okay, I have a question regarding tubes, more specifically tubes in the power amp. How much of an affect on the tone do power amp tubes play? In other words if I had a Mesa Studio Preamp (or any tube preamp), would there be a difference in sound between a tube power amp or a solid state poweramp driving the preamp?

On the same note, amps such as the Fender Champ 25 SE, I believe use 2 6L6's and 1 12ax7. How much of an affect does 1 preamp tube affect an amp as well?

Anyways, more questions to come later I'm sure, but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    And different brands of the same type of power tube (6L6, EL34, etc) can affect tone as well.

3. fendervox

fendervox Member

Hmmm, okay I see... so what would be the difference in an amp with 1 power tube and 1 preamp tube (say an Epiphone Valve Jr) and a Triple Rectifier that has 1,532,624 tubes. Or, 'why' would it be different, know what I mean?