• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Explorer Love?

MantraSky

Silver Supporting Member
What I love about Gibson was how "Innovative" their designs are, Explorer, Les Paul, SG, Firebird & Reverse, Melody Maker, ES335, ES175, L4 and there still the Acoustic's wonderful guitars.
One of my early influences was "Rick Derringer" an awesome player, producer, musician. Another guitarist I felt who is an amazing "Explorer" player is Matthias Jabs from the Scorpions!

Sirloin

Good to hear! I can't wait to get mine delivered. I pre-ordered in June after returning the first one.. waiting for the second batch ..end of August. (first batch was sold out in a week.)

Mine was 6.8lb (3,1kg).
Play Authentic

Rowdizzle

It felt like I was playing a huge slab of timber. Because that's what it is. But it did sound fantastic. Swapped mine for a Les Paul standard and didn't look back. Felt similar in weight (never actually weighed). I definitely suggest trying one out.

nebulon

Love Explorers. Have a '84 Hamer Blitz with a non-r'd OFR.

As other's have said...they're BIG. Mine's 'hog so it's a bit heavy but just a lovely instrument all through.

Fair warning: standard explorer fiddles can be cause for some interesting near-death experiences on small stages.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
This is mine:

Built by Bacchus, pretty light Korina with upgraded pickups. I'm not sure the cut makes it easier to play, since your arm still crosses the guitar in the same place, but it does make it a bit lighter... Easy to play sitting down, because the offset makes it almost perfectly balanced.