Exploring amp options, considering a modeler

rauchman

Greetings,

Have been exploring new amp options lately, among them, a Boss GT1000, and now the Helix. I currently have a Peavey Classic 50 head (bought new in the mid 90's) going through a 4x12 and a Katana 100c.

This amp exploration has taken me from the Boss GT1000, to the EVH 5150 III, to a variety of Marshalls, and now possibly, the Helix.

I've never become well versed in how to use MIDI and so forth, and have concerns that the Boss GT100 /Helix might be too "techy" for me, but am open to trying.

First off.... Boss GT1000 or Helix and why?

I have zero experience with either. Which sounds the closest to classic amp sounds? Another way of asking, which has better amp emulation? Looking for clean, crunch and heavy gain.

I've read about FRFR's briefly. Are these basically PA speakers, or are there specific rigs for this? Suggestions?

I have to believer, the lightweight and compactness of this type setup blows away slogging around a big amp head and 4x12 cab. Is all that's needed is the modeler and a speaker setup? Anything else?

I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions as I learn more about this new world. Thanks for your help!

sleewell

i would just suggest easing in. going straight to direct to FOH or FRFR is usually what trips people up.

start with it in 4cm with your amp, mainly for effects and switching. learn it inside and out. then maybe start to rely on amp modeling more. then progress to going direct or FRFR.

i think the helix with a quilter and regular guitar cabs is perfect but everyone is different.

LaXu

If you want something less techy, the all analog BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury does a lot in a tiny box but it doesn't have much in the way of fx. Must like Marshall type tones though as it's not a modeler.

Getting a GT1000 or Helix is massive overkill if your main interest is in amp sims and not replacing both amps and fx. You could instead look into smaller units like the Strymon Iridium, Atomic Amplifirebox or even get a used Yamaha THR100HD.

rauchman

i would just suggest easing in. going straight to direct to FOH or FRFR is usually what trips people up.

start with it in 4cm with your amp, mainly for effects and switching. learn it inside and out. then maybe start to rely on amp modeling more. then progress to going direct or FRFR.

i think the helix with a quilter and regular guitar cabs is perfect but everyone is different.
FOH?

Interesting on the Quilter....hadn't thought of that. Was originally thinking something like the newer SS Fender Twin Reverb (Tone Master?). Any downside to using a guitar cab vs a FRFR?

If you want something less techy, the all analog BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury does a lot in a tiny box but it doesn't have much in the way of fx. Must like Marshall type tones though as it's not a modeler.

Getting a GT1000 or Helix is massive overkill if your main interest is in amp sims and not replacing both amps and fx. You could instead look into smaller units like the Strymon Iridium, Atomic Amplifirebox or even get a used Yamaha THR100HD.
Sorry, should have been clearer. Yes, this would also replace FX. And yes, I LOVE Marshall tones.

sleewell

front of house

i think the advantage of a guitar cab is that you are familiar to it. it's not a huge change. you are already adjusting to using one new device, its easier for me at least to have something that is familiar when trying out new gear.

once you learn the modeler then you are better equipped to learn using a FRFR speaker. switching to both right out of the gate seems to give people the most troubles.

FlyingsCool

FOH - Front of House... basically your modeler output sent the board and played through the house PA

An FRFR is similar to a PA, and many speakers marketed as FRFR are in actuality pretty much PA speakers. Actual FRFR speakers have a flat response curve, what you put in you get out. PA speakers usually have a bump or two in their response.

The issue the guys are referring to is, playing through an FRFR is like listening to your mic'd signal of your amp out of the PA speakers of the house, with maybe a little more detail. But it's not going to BE an amp. You'll be listening to your tone as if it were your recorded tone.

So to get an AMP tone, play it through a cab powered by at least a power amp (i.e. Quilter connected to a guitar cab).

Downside to using an amp? The couple of extra cables to set up in "4CM" (to throw another term at you) and the weight of the poweramp and cab you choose.

Another solution to consider (for any modeler) is a Line 6 Powercab... it can give you the best of both worlds; light weight and that amp in the room feeling and the added ability to use a variety of different speaker models. I love the flexibility of the different speaker models, and the way it works makes dialing in a tone go way faster for me (I don't have to worry about mic type and distance and setting reflections on top of speaker model when building a tone). It gives that amp cab feel. Downside? It's a 1x12 closed cab. It's not going to sound like an open back 4x12 no matter how hard you try. There's also a 2x12 closed cab model.

Trending Topics